Cult of Luna
Cult of Luna

by WOLFE USER (1 Reviews)
April 3rd, 2011 | 157 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Hailing from Umea, Sweden, Cult of Luna made their reputation in the metal world as one of the best and well-known acts that play the same style of sludge/post-rock hybrid as Isis and Pelican, all in the while evolving their sound to greater heights with each consecutive release. What sets apart the band from their contemporaries were their distinctive brand of darkness and dramatic atmosphere.

Halfway through the opener, “The Revelation Embodied”, those very same qualities become clear; Cult of Luna orchestrate around little changes and layers in almost every measure to avoid sounding tiresome repetitions. The guitar riffs consistently remain earthmoving and dramatic throughout the track as the drumming creates dynamic levels of intensity; the debut consists of some of the band’s most colossal riffs yet (i.e. “The Sacrifice”, “Sleep”, and “The Revelation Embodied”). Klas Rydberg debuts as feral and vicious as he is on the other records with his hardcore growling, never sounding weak or lacking emotion. The atmosphere has always been a key factor of their music; in every song, it is either dark and oppressive or somber and serious, but each one is reflective and thoughtful in their own right. The experimentation with electronic samplings bring more layers to the oppressive nature of the album. The lyrics are mostly dark and brooding, adding to the compelling atmosphere - dealing with themes such as the four horsemen of the apocalypse (“The Revelation Embodied”: A time when the curse is alive. The horsemen have arrived. Under the hoofs has the human race tread down into muddy pools of dirt) and of Faust of German legend (“Beyond Fate”). The experimentation should be noted as they add cello parts in “Sleep”, samples within passages like Neurosis did, and the acoustic guitar at the end of “The Sacrifice”. Cult of Luna seemed to have masterfully composed a solid debut with exploding crescendos, overwhelmingly dark atmospheres, and impressive songwriting and musicianship.

Naturally, this album isn't flawless. The self-titled is wounded by its length, lasting nearly as long as an hour. The length is long because of stretched sections (the middle of “Sleep”) or extended measures in the songs (for example, the ending in “The Sacrifice”). Compared to their other albums, this is possibly their weakest effort. The debut’s sound would later be explored in the following album, The Beyond, where all aspects in this are improved.

That is not to say that this should be avoided and cast aside as an unnecessary listen in the band’s discography. No, this is recommended to be given a listen for all fans of atmospherically crushing dark metal.

yo

Crysis
April 3rd 2011

holy shit a relinquished review what is this i don't even

April 3rd 2011

probably will be the only one too. album deserves it though.

Metalstyles
April 3rd 2011

the debut consists of some of the band’s most colossal riffs yet
So true. Great review man, I haven't listened to this in a long time - a thing I need to fix.

April 3rd 2011

album rules, pretty cool review too

Psychopathologist

1922 Comments

this is probably cool since the band is only getting worse

April 3rd 2011

I don't see how they're getting worse. EK is slightly underwhelming compared to Salvation or SAtH but they got better in experimenting.

April 3rd 2011

are CoL putting out an album this year? I heard Neurosis was, but I can't remember if someone said CoL were too.

Metalstyles
April 3rd 2011

I thought EK was excellent. Also, damn, I agree with your conclusion so much too. This review sounds like it was written in my head lol.

April 3rd 2011

are CoL putting out an album this year?

they started writing already, you can see what they're working on on their website.

and I tried, magnus, glad you liked it.

xenocide.
April 3rd 2011

Great review. I agree that they aren't getting worse. They just change their sound slightly. It should be appreciated.

April 3rd 2011

You see Isis and Pelican and they weakened their sound, but Cult of Luna still kept it strong.

April 3rd 2011

I never really liked pelican to begin with. But I'm a fag, what do I know?

SeaAnemone

20953 Comments

ddaaaammnnnn just posted a critique/help with this review in the review proofreading thread, I didn't know you had already posted it... oh well, good review anyway, especially for a first!

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

April 3rd 2011

go away eric, this is too scary for you

April 3rd 2011

thank you eric, I was waiting for help but got impatient.

SeaAnemone

20953 Comments

Brandon Lewis: listener of Deftones, maker of innumerable shitty lists, Judo master, homeschool hero,
NO FUCKING FEARS

ok sorry relinquished done clogging up the thread now with such truthful things

lol.

April 3rd 2011

thanks for the kind words guys, and thanks eric I corrected most of the errors you pointed out. and at least I tried to stop maniac from fagging up the thread.

FearThyEvil
April 3rd 2011

Good review Pos'd. Thanks for helping me find that band yesterday.