Cult of Luna
Cult of Luna

by WOLFE USER (1 Reviews)
April 3rd, 2011 | 157 replies | 13,570 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Cult of Luna has been and always will be one of those bands that stuck with the foundation in sound they created nearly 14 years ago. Hailing from Umea, Sweden, Cult of Luna made their reputation in the metal world as one of the best and well-known acts that play the same style of sludge/post-rock hybrid as Isis and Pelican. What sets apart the band from their contemporaries were their distinct atmosphere and the inherent darkness, which is the foundation of their sound. The band’s style evolved during later years as they experimented by expanding their soundscape and instrumentation and adding more members to make their live performances truly awe-inspiring.

Halfway through the opener, “The Revelation Embodied”, it's clear that Cult of Luna have little changes and layers in almost every measure to avoid sounding repetitive and tiresome. The guitar riffs remain massive and crushing throughout as they create levels of intensity and tranquillity; the debut consists of some of the band’s most colossal riffs yet (i.e. “The Sacrifice”, “Sleep”, and “The Revelation Embodied”). The bass is audible most of the time and the impressive drumming and the extra percussion are well placed in the music, not in any way ostentatious or quiet. Klas Rydberg is as feral and vicious as he is on the other albums with his hardcore growls and barks, never sounding emotionless or weak. The atmosphere has always been a key factor of their music; in every song, it is either dark and oppressive or somber and serious, but each one is reflective and thoughtful. The soundscape is expanded upon with the help of the electronics, bringing more layers to the oppressive nature of the album. The lyrics are mostly dark and negative, adding to the compelling atmosphere, dealing with themes such as the four horsemen of the apocalypse (“The Revelation Embodied”: A time when the curse is alive. The horsemen have arrived. Under the hoofs has the human race tread down into muddy pools of dirt) and of Faust of German legend (“Beyond Fate”). The experimentation should be noted as they add cello parts in “Sleep”, samples within passages like Neurosis did, and the acoustic guitar at the end of “The Sacrifice”. Cult of Luna seemed to have masterfully composed a solid debut with exploding crescendos, overwhelmingly dark atmospheres, and impressive songwriting and musicianship.

Naturally, this album isn't flawless. The self-titled is wounded by its length, stretching in nearly an exact hour. The length is long because of unneeded sections (the middle of “Sleep”) or extended measures in the songs (for example, the ending in “The Sacrifice”). Compared to their other albums, this is possibly their weakest effort. The debut’s sound would later be explored in the following album, The Beyond, where all aspects of this are improved.

That is to say that this isn’t to be avoided and cast aside as an unnecessary listen in the band’s discography. No, this is recommended to be given a listen. The self-titled is definitely the darkest effort Cult of Luna has made yet. Cult of Luna never forgot their roots as they never changed their sound; they only altered and improved upon it. Even after their musical evolution, they were amazing in their beginning.

Finally.

Crysis
April 3rd 2011

holy shit a relinquished review what is this i don't even

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

April 3rd 2011

probably will be the only one too. album deserves it though.

Metalstyles
April 3rd 2011

the debut consists of some of the band’s most colossal riffs yet
So true. Great review man, I haven't listened to this in a long time - a thing I need to fix.

April 3rd 2011

album rules, pretty cool review too

Psychopathologist

1924 Comments

this is probably cool since the band is only getting worse

April 3rd 2011

I don't see how they're getting worse. EK is slightly underwhelming compared to Salvation or SAtH but they got better in experimenting.

April 3rd 2011

are CoL putting out an album this year? I heard Neurosis was, but I can't remember if someone said CoL were too.

Metalstyles
April 3rd 2011

I thought EK was excellent. Also, damn, I agree with your conclusion so much too. This review sounds like it was written in my head lol.

April 3rd 2011

are CoL putting out an album this year?

they started writing already, you can see what they're working on on their website.

and I tried pretty hard on this magnus, glad you liked it.

xenocide.
April 3rd 2011

Great review. I agree that they aren't getting worse. They just change their sound slightly. It should be appreciated.

April 3rd 2011

You see Isis and Pelican and they weakened their sound, but Cult of Luna still kept it strong.

April 3rd 2011

I never really liked pelican to begin with. But I'm a fag, what do I know?

SeaAnemone

19740 Comments

ddaaaammnnnn just posted a critique/help with this review in the review proofreading thread, I didn't know you had already posted it... oh well, good review anyway, especially for a first!

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

April 3rd 2011

go away eric, this is too scary for you

April 3rd 2011

thank you eric, I was waiting for help but got impatient.

SeaAnemone

19740 Comments

Brandon Lewis: listener of Deftones, maker of innumerable shitty lists, Judo master, homeschool hero,
NO FUCKING FEARS

ok sorry relinquished done clogging up the thread now with such truthful things

lol.

April 3rd 2011

thanks for the kind words guys, and thanks eric I corrected most of the errors you pointed out. and at least I tried to stop maniac from fagging up the thread.

FearThyEvil
April 3rd 2011

Good review Pos'd. Thanks for helping me find that band yesterday.