Nate Dogg
Music And Me

by adesih USER (1 Reviews)
April 2nd, 2011 | 22 replies | 6,004 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One of the greatest of a long list of losses for hip-hop and r'n'b.

RIP Nate Dogg- 1969-2011

It’s an interesting point in history for hip-hop. After a few years in which untalented, flowless, auto-tuned sellouts were able to flourish, talented meaningful flows and inspired choruses are making a comeback. Perhaps best indicated by the immanent release of the 11-years-in-the-making Detox, or the recent triumph of progressive mainstream hip-hop via Kanye West, a key hip-hop revival is on its way.

But the revival of what? The great R’n’b/Hip-Hop singer. Not like Akon. Not like Usher. Like Nate Dogg, who sadly passed away earlier this month. Having sung on such classic hip-hop tracks as ‘The Next Episode’, Nate’s position in the hall of hip-hop fame was clearly set out for him. Even if his greatest achievement, 2001’s ‘Music and Me’ continues to be overlooked.

I Got Love
The catchy, Bink! produced r’n’b number is slow and infectious. Dogg lays out his vocal ability for the world to see, alongside solidifying his already untouchable reputation. 10/10

Backdoor
The pace doesn’t pick up from the slow r’n’b of ‘I Got Love’ but the addition of a brass section warms the track, but does little to distract from the fact that this track is not more than a development of the previous track. 7/10

Keep It G.A.N.G.S.T.A. 7/10

I Pledge Allegiance 8/10

Your Woman Has Just Been Sighted 6/10

Your Wife
The Dre Produced number features a classic beat and has the chilled feel of other Dre songs, which, combined with an amazing delivery from the producer and Nate, makes the track brilliant. 10/10

Another Short Story 6/10

Concrete Streets 7/10

Real Pimp 7/10

Ditty Dum Ditty Do
The fact that this song is under the name ‘Nate Dogg’ means nothing. Snoop Dogg makes the track with this flawless flow. 10/10

Music And Me 7/10

The quality of this album outlines the fact that the death of Nathaniel Dwayne Hale was not just a tragedy in the sense that a man died age 41- it is a tragedy for music.

7.7/10

R.I.P.

LambsBread (4)
Some people are nothing but clones, some people have styles of their own....

cvlts
April 2nd 2011

wow, this is bad.

Digging: Pedro the Lion - It's Hard To Find A Friend

shrapnel
April 2nd 2011

I would recommend you not do track by track reviews, but if you're gonna do it, then do it. You can't write a description for some tracks and just a rating for others.

Urinetrouble

what shrapnel said

this isn't fucking RYM. You gotta right good reviews here

Defeater
April 3rd 2011

There isn't an excuse for a review this lackluster. Try to put some effort into it next time. I realize you're probably just doing this to "honor" Nate Dogg, but this isn't how you do it.

April 3rd 2011

pretty much the worst thing i've read in ages.

you clearly know nothing about rap and should really consider not writing ever

Hawks
April 3rd 2011

It's a first review, but still this isn't even close to anything that could be considered well-written.

HalfManHalfAmazing

qwe is butthurt over the Lil Wayne reference

April 3rd 2011

the criticism is fair enough actually, this is my first review and I was simply testing out a format before resubmitting it elsewhere. I'm sorry to any Nate Dogg fans I may have offended.

qwe is butthurt over the Lil Wayne reference

"butthurt": the last resort of the infinitely unimaginative

wabbit
April 3rd 2011

"untalented, flowless, auto-tuned sellouts (Lil Wayne in particular) "

haters gonna have taste in music that isn't as good as us.

April 3rd 2011

yeah pretty much lil waynes def more talented than nate dogg was

20394 Comments

Too bad he often uses his talent to produce total crap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyLR4NfMiI)

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

April 3rd 2011

for future reference, as i realise that this review was awful, what should i do to improve my reviews? no trolls please.

cheers

1) Don't make track by tracks
2) talk more in depth about the actual music
3) Don't rate individual songs
4) Don't mention shitty performers like Akon and Usher when you are reviewing a respected hip-hop entity

Just my 2 cents.

wabbit
April 3rd 2011

like lil' wayne were not joking tha carter II is one of the best hip-hops ever.

April 3rd 2011

i do own tha carter II, im not saying lil wayne isnt talented, but recently he has not produced much good music.

April 3rd 2011

Too bad he often uses his talent to produce total crap

don't mind that if he makes good music aside from that

and also recently his output has been solid. C4 singles both destroy

C4 singles both destroy

Amen to that.

defjaw83
April 3rd 2011

Not a good review even for a first. You need to describe the actual music rather than just a brief outline of the artist. Plus if you are gonna do a track by track then at least write something about each track in detail

Digging: Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

somberlain
April 3rd 2011

like lil' wayne were not joking tha carter II is one of the best hip-hops ever

yeah because this is sputnik's authority on hip-hops

this is correct if you're gonna do a track by track, but you shouldn't