Adam Fucking West
The Lookwell EP

1.5
very poor

by Mr. Lean Mug USER (112 Reviews)
April 1st, 2011 | 16 replies

Review Summary: Dun nun nah nah nun nun dun nun nah nah nun nun BATMAN!

“Adam West is a true American icon. From his humble beginning on a wheat ranch in Walla Walla, Washington, Adam skyrocketed to fame in Hollywood, pursuing an extraordinary career in entertainment that has spanned half a century. While Batman, and his alter ego, Bruce Wayne, remains his signature role, Adam, as a drummer has a multitude of Thrash, and Grindcore credits to his name.”

Who would’ve thunk it? Adam Fucking West in a grindcore band. I’ll admit it, when I first found The Lookwell EP on Bandcamp, I wanted to like it. I mean, who wouldn’t? Unfortunately this album is all of the gay associated with Adam West’s career and none of the campy, fun nostalgia.

Three songs clocking in at over 4 minutes is sort of pushing it for a grind album, especially when the music is as bland and uninspired as this. AFW take cues from various sources, sounding in the end like a mash up of Total Fucking Destruction, Discordance Axis, and early Rotten Sound, only with none of the healthy doses of sunshine and rainbows those three acts emanate. The vocals are strained, the string-slinging is bland and uninspired, and Quahog’s mayor’s drumming leaves quite a bit to be desired. At LEAST the shit-fest of mediocrity is broken up by samples of West quotes from his various media outlets.

In the end the simple, hard truth is that this is the insipid Batman and Robin of grind releases, and if that impresses you, you need your fucking skull examined post-haste.

Freddie Gibbs and The World's Freshest The Tonite ShowDe La Soul Smell The DA.I.S.Y.
Fucked Up Year of the DragonRome Fortune Beautiful Pimp II
Maxo Kream QuiccstrikesSelf Defense Family Try Me
1.5
very poor

happy april first

art should be along eventually

Digging: Burning Kitchen - Many Wonder About the Meaning of Life

Maniac!
April 1st 2011

I should do a joke review for the holiday

who jokes lemme at im

smallz362

Epic name for a band.

April 1st 2011

and there's the epic art to go with it

PorkchopExpress
April 1st 2011

Good review. This sounds terrible, which is unfortunate given they named the album after the "Lookwell" pilot episode, which is amazing if you've never seen it.

Kris.
April 1st 2011

this sounds so awesome based on the name alone

April 1st 2011

yeah that's how they getcha

Kris.
April 1st 2011

lol ya this sucks pretty bad

pizzamachine
April 1st 2011

Lol Hep, I love the review!

Tyrael

20973 Comments

Ughhh Adam West.

LegendofPittman

Haha, so awesome.

Irving
April 1st 2011

Someone give this guy his well-deserved Emeritus tag already! =)

Slum

such a wasted name

April 1st 2011

thanks for the vote of confidence, irving

and indeed, it truly is a wasted name. too bad they're such a lousy grind band, otherwise it would be perfect

cvlts