Rammstein
Rosenrot

good

by BigRoachy USER (6 Reviews)
November 12th, 2005 | 63 replies | 47,140 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Rammstein has always been known for their strange, yet catchy music. Thundering drum beats and explosive guitars, creepy vocals and catchy techno riffs. Their songs were always fun to jump up and down to at parties, and yet had a lot of meaning to the lyrics (if you understood German). Rammstein seemed to lose that sound with the release of Reise, Reise, showing a more serious side to the German rockers. With the release of Rosenrot, their old sound seems to have returned somewhat. The album is more fun than Reise, Reise was, and kind of cheesey in some places. Rosenrot was released as a B-side album containing a few songs that didn't make it onto Reise, Reise and some other songs that were written for it.

The album starts off with Benzin. Benzin is a song that any big Rammstein fan should already know if they don't already have the album. It's a typical Rammstein song with the techno in the beginning followed by a thundering beat and loud guitars. Though that may sound great, it isn't what it seems. The guitar riff is boring and not catchy at all and the techno basically consists of some subtle keyboard notes. Nothing special at all. The song basically repeats itself until the end.

The next song, Mann Gegen Mann, is where the album starts sounding how it should. It starts off with a drum beat and a bass riff. Till sings for a bit and then the song explodes into the catchy chorus riff. After one more verse we have the extremely catchy chorus where Till yells, "MANN GEGEN MANN" and utters some other German that I don't understand. I think the song is about gay people..

Next up is the title track, Rosenrot. It starts off with a simple bass riff and a bass drum. Then the vocals kick in and simply leads into the chorus. The guitar riff is basically the bass riff, but distorted. This goes on again until we get to the short breakdown part using guitar riffs that sound a lot like Stein um Stein off of Reise, Reise. The instrumental definitely isn't the strong point of the song, but the vocals are very well done. It sounds like more of a ballad than the first two tracks do. After another verse/chorus/bridge the song ends.After Rosenrot, the CD throws Spring at us.

Spring is a slow song. It starts off with some eerie keyboards and leads into some heavy palm muting. The song to me is a boring filler track because it is pretty much the same thing all the way through. Apparently it is more lyrically driven than musically, which isn't good since I don't know German.

Move on..Wo Bist Du is one of the song titles that was thrown around a lot during the tracklist arguments. It starts out with a cheesey sounding keyboard riff and literally explodes into a loud guitar riff. Scared me out of my seat the first time I listened. After this part, the song leads into the verse. Probably the best verse part on the album yet, it has a keyboard riff playing over a signature Rammstein drum beat and some bass in the background. The chorus consists of the opening guitar part and some AWFUL vocals. Next we have another short verse part that leads into a pre-chorus with the same guitar as the chorus, but with louder keyboards. This (of course) leads into the chorus which plays on until the song ends. Dispite the terrible vocals during the chorus, the song's instrumental, though simple, holds it together for me.

Next we have the absolutely terrible Stirb Nicht Vor Mir. The song starts off with an upbeat, clean picking riff that leads into another upbeat acoustic part. That's pretty nice, the acoustics are very well done. Till's singing part is very well done too. But after his part is over, the whole song just dies. The female singer, Sharleen Spiteri, sings an English part that makes the whole song sound like part of a Disney soundtrack. The horrible duet part lasts until the song FINALLY ends. This song would have been an incredible song if it was Till and mabye a different singer with a German part. Supposedly they will release another version with a German female instead. But for now, this song is abysmal.

Moving on, we have our first gem of the album. Zerstören starts off with a weird electronic vocal part and some cool drumming which leads into a thundering guitar part. After that ends, we have a palm muting part which is what our verse consists of along with the cool drum part. Then it leads into the chorus which consists of the main guitar riff and keyboards. This repeats again until a keyboard part takes over the chorus and leads the song into it's bridge. The bridge consists of rung out guitars and Doom beating on the drums. After another chorus, the band goes absolutely crazy on their instruments and that leads into a very quiet keyboard part with Till singing quietly. After a little bit more, the song ends on that part. Excellent song, probably the album's best part.

Hilf Mir is one of those filler tracks that just gets you to the next song. But it isn't completely bad.. The song starts off with a palm muted part that leads into a slower, heavy part. That slower, heavy part leads into the slow verse. The verse consists of a quiet bass riff being played under a quiet keyboard part and Till's singing. This blows up into loud guitars for a bit which leads into the chorus which uses the main riff and then back into the verse. The song repeats itself and leads back into the chorus in the same way. After another chorus, we have an airy bridge part which leads into the painfully simple breakdown. One more chorus and then we're done!

Te Quiero Puta! is the weirdest song on the album. Period. It starts off with what sounds like a trotting horse and a Mexican guy saying "Mmm, Amigos!". Then the song brings in Mexican TRUMPETS. The weird trumpet part explodes into a signature Rammstein guitar riff. Blah blah, then we have the verse which consists of the bass and the drums. After each line, the trumpets flare up. Then we have a short pre chorus part which leads into the main riff and Till yelling "TE QUIERO PUTA!". Next up we have a VERY strange bridge. We have a weird sounding Spanish woman rhyming "Mas mas mas, por favor. Mas mas mas, si si señor". After that we have another chorus and then a loud ending.

The next song is, in my opinion, one of the better songs on the album. Feuer und Wasser starts off with a quiet clean guitar and Till. This lasts for about two minutes before we have the main riff kick in. The main riff is basically repeated over the chorus, which is pretty well done. Till's voice stands out very nicely on this song. The verse consists of the clean guitar playing behind short bursts of distortion. After this part we have a short keyboard solo part with the main riff behind it which leads into another chorus. After the chorus is repeated twice the song simply plays the main riff until it finally decides to end.

The album's closing is a very pleasant, clean song. No distortion is used throughout the whole song. The guitar part is a very soft picking riff which is played throughout the whole song. Till sings very nicely throughout the song, no short outbursts of yelling in this one. The song basically is the same thing all the way through. It's, in my opinion, an excellent closing to a mediocre album.

Pros: Zerstören, vocals are pretty well done on most tracks, good album length (for today's standards).

Cons: The guitars sound like they were recorded on a blender, Stirb Nicht Vor Mir

Recommended Tracks: Zerstören, Te Quiero Puta, Mann Gegen Mann, Feuer und Wasser

Track Ratings:

Rammstein HerzeleidPinback Summer in Abaddon
Pixies BossanovaPixies Doolittle
Trivium Ascendancy
Jorn van Schaïk (4)
Rammstein's foray into experimenting with their sound produces excellent results......

Xander_Christ (4)

lais817
November 12th 2005

Nice review, I almost went out and bought this CD the other day, as soon as I saw it on the shelf. But I think I'll download some of the better tracks first, and then I'll see

November 12th 2005

That's probably a good idea, I'd really only recommend this CD to big Rammstein fans. And it definitely is NOT the type of CD to get you into Rammstein.

ocelot-05
November 12th 2005

The only suggestion I can think of is to bold the song names. The review was pretty informative.

Shattered_Future

Good review.

Rammstein is a hit-or-miss band for me. I bought Mutter, and it had a few decent tracks, and a few absolutely godawful ones.

Showing by your review, maybe I'll just download some of these...though I'm interested to see what Te Quiero Puta! is all about. :lol:

Dead_Trench
November 12th 2005

I was waiting for someone to review this. I own the CD Reise, Reise. Is this better or worse?

I just listened to Zerstoren, and it is amazing.This Message Edited On 11.12.05

November 13th 2005

It depends on what aspect of Rammstein you like. Did you like Rammstein's more serious side? Or Rammstein's cheesier side?

Dead_Trench
November 13th 2005

I like the instrumentation to be fun, and heavy. My favourite songs off Reise, Reise were the title track, Keine Lust, Amerika and Stein Um Stein. I don't mind cheesy, because I really like power metal.

November 13th 2005

Then you would probably get a kick out of this album.

z712
November 13th 2005

I think the reviewer is missing the whole point of Rammstein. Being fortunate enough to speak german, the quality of the album is superb. The little innuendos and subtle stories behind the songs are amazing. Spring has amazing lyrics which end up hilarious near the end of the song. Perhaps you should check out the translations of the song before you judge too quickly. They may not give you the whole feeling of the song but at least you'll understand the base of the song.

November 13th 2005

When I listen to Rammstein, I should expect not to care about the lyrics because the music is so much fun to listen to. But since the music isn't of as much quality as it was on their other albums, I don't rate it as high.

Rammstein used to be really good, but now they've just gone flat and boring in my opinion.

EDIT: It's all about opinion. When I listen to music, I listen to the music. The lyrics don't concern me.This Message Edited On 11.13.05

November 13th 2005

The album art is actually the Japanese Reise, Reise cover with the word Rosenrot pasted on the front.

Syd Barret
November 13th 2005

i'm sure this album is better for those who don't understand german ... their lyrics don't mean anything to my

sometimes i think rammstein make fun of themselves, i mean they don't take their own lyrics serious

So are the vocals.

Final Origin
November 13th 2005

I liked Benzin quite a lot.

Final Origin
November 13th 2005

I haven't but I'm sure it will be just as good, or even better.

sj_2150
November 18th 2005

i loved reise, reise so i might aswell just get this

RunAmokRampant
November 19th 2005

Yep this was a decent effort from the Germans. And with the Meshuggah remix Schneider (drummer) was aghast that they had done a much better job of the song than they did. Obviously he wasn't much of a Benzin fan.

Anyway, Zestoren is an awesome track. They actually get quite chaotic before the quiet poetic ending.

sj_2150
November 30th 2005

not as god as reise, reise.
rosenrot drags out a bit though with some of the songs.
i prefer reise, reise definately but i like it more the senchuct.
and it was awesome to hear till push himself a bit further vocally in this, with some good screams. i thought the guitars sounded good though. Zestoren and te quiero puta! are my favourites. i really liked this.

RunAmokRampant
December 1st 2005

Till really shines on this album lyrically and his voice has become a nice deep baritone. When you hear herzeleid and then Rosenrot you'll know what I mean

ninjasmurf
December 5th 2005

i wouldnt say this as good as riese riese, but then again it would be a hard act to follow i reckon that Rosenrot is one of those albums that kinda grows on you