Dagda Mor
This Sun For Europe

by Ethereal Space Yogurt USER (205 Reviews)
March 28th, 2011 | 21 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Death industrial son........can you count to 11? EHHHHH? Riddle me this motherfucker...what's blue, has a shell and two cannons on it;s back?

Genre tagging is always fun in my book, especially when it‘s taken way too far. To show you what I mean let me present you with some fine examples. Witch house, chill wave, dream-folk, noise pop, freak folk, atmospheric death metal, power electronics, dark ambient, death industrial. Now, I love these genres, I really do, but it seems like people have a bit too much time on their hands to go around declaring so many new sub-genres. The excess levels of pretense and overly ambitious mindsets that contribute to the development of these absurd forms of music can only be commended based on the sheer creativity of these enthusiastic ***asses. The band I intend on reviewing today, Dagda Mor, has been tarred and feathered by the unseen hordes with death industrial. According to sources, death industrial is a fusion of dark ambient, industrial and power electronics. However, I’m not inclined towards the band because of it’s catchy descriptions. No, I like the band because I enjoy listening to dark, atmospheric music. ***.

Dagda Mor is a long running outfit from Germany who I really don’t know much about other than that I enjoy their 1997 EP entitled “This Sun For Europe”. The EP is a tiny morsel of all that is bleak, sorrowful and lamenting. Perfect for all those would be kviltists who want to *** around in forests engaging in woodland ceremonies and vegan picnics. The music on this ep is heavily synth based, and in true dark ambient fashion it exudes a sense of nihilistic indifference to the pathetic, self deprecating wasteland that is known as society. Drum loops, a cautious amount of reverb and heavy distortion are integrated in the musical backdrop to provide added flair, with muffled vocal samples rambling about through the ep’s dense sound. The music is unorthodox in song structure, opting for a free flowing environment where clean, melodic synth lines descend into harsh, noisy terrain. I find this dynamic intriguing, especially when the piano comes into play. The track “Wir Tragen Das Leben” forays into lighter territory with an almost new age feel to it. In the track, a repetitive synth line is layered with piano, providing a calming and almost spiritual aesthetic that leeds me to believe this would be a perfect song to mediate to. ***. ***.

There isn’t much experimentation, catchy songwriting, or technical instrumentation displayed on this offering. It all sounds pretty simple for better or worse. At worst it’s minimalist, pretentious bull*** tailormade for hipster faggots. At best it’s perfect downtime music for putting on after a long day. I personally enjoy this when I want to *** off from society/my daily routine and relax. If you enjoy instrumental music with a bias-free approach to music then you should enjoy this. It’s not essential by any means but it’s an enjoyable listen nonetheless. ***. ***. ***.

Vampyric Blood Ordo DraculPagan Hammer Ode To My fathers
Destroyer 666 Of Wolves, Women & WarSo Hideous Last Poem/First Light
13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the WormTheophany Time's End: Majora's Mask Remixed
3.3

March 28th 2011

When I get done blasting this I will put on xasthur and fill my tub with oil where I shall lie forever entombed...only to rise again as a hybrid man/dragon.

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss

March 28th 2011

Holy asterisks Batman, this sounds enticing. Nice review.

March 28th 2011

See the pattern? Quickest review of my life but yeah good shit son. BRB gonna make a protein shake. Throwin ina cracker barrel pancake for good measure.

vmcoia91
March 28th 2011

sounds cool. Good review.

Apollo

****** ****** ** **** ******** **** * ***

good review mr balls

March 28th 2011

Just noticed how close you are to hitting 150. I need to step my game up. Just hard to find the time/ambition. Mostly ambition. Got a few planned for April though.

March 28th 2011

I should be at like 160 but i lost at least 10 reviews during the great review purge of yesteryear.

Oh yeah. Some gay shit.

March 28th 2011

My blockbuster is closing down ina few days and made a legit haul of good movies for 12 bucks.

Yeah, what'd ya score?

March 28th 2011

Defendor, Hunger and Dissaperance of Alice Creed. Most of stock was already gone but these were all movies on my list to see.

March 28th 2011

I don't think I've actually even heard of any of those lol. You'll have to let me know if any of them are actually any good. Saw a Girl with the Dragon Tattoo box set at Target yesterday. Gonna have to pick that up at some point.

March 28th 2011

GWTDT is amazing, second one is good havent seen the third. But Noomi Rapace is amazing.

March 28th 2011

Third one rules hard. Great close to the series.

Bitchfork
March 29th 2011

I fucking adore this band; EP's tops.

March 29th 2011

Would like to review some genocide organ next. Time permitting.

Bitchfork

Line of Corpses perhaps?

klap

nice shannara reference band

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

March 29th 2011

Need to listen to Brighter Death Now more but my labtops all fucked up right now.

pizzamachine