Kesha
Cannibal

good

by For Meatplow USER (61 Reviews)
March 27th, 2011 | 59 replies | 6,667 views

Review Summary: Glitter babe strikes again, this time with better results than her claim-to-fame Animal. A showcase of young talent with potential to be more than a commercialization of youth - a guilty pleasure.

To analyze Ke$ha's Cannibal as anything else but a carefree exaggeration of today's mainstream pop culture is to take the EP for what it isn't instead of what it is. Sure, it's not the best pop music that you'll find out there for a variety of reasons: mainly that it's garden-variety, shallow and oftentimes just commercialized glitter on the floor of the sorts of clubs this blue-makeup addicted pop star frequents. However, it's not really supposed to be much more than a fun, synth-based slice of electropop. In this aspect, Ke$ha doesn't necessarily fail with her first EP, she just makes use of a popular and certainly insubstantial fizz. She prances around with her st-st-stutter vocalizations, and making use of hyperactive synthesizers - a very Ke$ha thing, if you ask me, since she is all of these post-modern, hyper sexual femme fatales into one almost parodic figure. She pulls out lines about how she's "running this town just like a club" and "making the hipsters fall in love" with "Jesus on her necklace (us-us-us). She talks about sex and clothes in a way that does little else but bring to life (love her or hate her, Ke$ha's an undeniable character, people) the details of our youth-based sex craze, even going so far as to poke fun at it throughout the short release. Even if it's just an act of not taking herself all that seriously, it's a nice touch to see her fill her release to the brim with a headstrong persona. And for those of you who thought the buzzing synths and laughable programmed shouts of "Take it off" on Animal had the workings of a nice, if not all too impressive future, consider it realized, since this greasy pop star's tightening up her act. She's removed cuts like the novelty "Dinosaur" from her repertoire, focusing instead on the use of crisper, more contemporary electronics and less obnoxious vocal techniques. Ke$ha's essentially gotten rid of all those unrefined animal instincts and has evolved into a cannibalistic fiend ready to prove you wrong and eat you alive! (Or something of that nature, pardon the sudden hyperbole.) But don't expect this to be any dazzling affair. Look at it as glitter on the floor and nothing more.

Mattin Proletarian of NoiseGuernica (Japan) Shinseiki e no Unga
Veliotis / Sugimoto / Kinoshita / Unami QuartetMathos Franz Joseph
Sachiko M, Toshimaru Nakamura & Otomo... Good Morning Good NightHong Chulki Amplified WC
2.2
poor
Sputnik's official false metal authority (3.5)
On Cannibal, Ke$ha's going all the way....

David Driver (1.5)
Taking the superficiality of pop to an all-time low....

Warrior

Animal

Ire
March 27th 2011

i fucking hate you bitchfork

Bitchfork
March 27th 2011

What's your indictment, fellow sputnik folk?

theacademy

Back off I’ll take you on
Headstrong to take on anyone
I know that you are wrong
Headstrong we’re headstrong
Back off I’ll take you on
Headstrong to take on anyone
I know that you are wrong and this is not where you belong
I can’t give everything away
I won’t give everything away

theacademy

Lucid

This is correct.

Digging: Wild Beasts - Present Tense

Bitchfork

yus lucid

Rev
March 27th 2011

your cousin is dr luke? holy shit man

tiesthatbind

ugh

Waior

good review

Jash
March 27th 2011

one of the Dj's at the club i work at did a few super awesome Ke$ha mashups tonight, the place was just goin nuts so much fun

Metalstyles
March 27th 2011

I really like the review in general but when you call this a "commercialization of youth" in the summary it's such a turnoff.

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

LepreCon
March 27th 2011

She is as good as she is hot

Polymath

Classic LepreCon

liledman
March 27th 2011

bitchfork stop acting your age wtf this isnt onkyo

Tyrael

20394 Comments

Review's not too bad, could use some paragraphs though.

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

Polymath

newbz

AggravatedYeti
March 27th 2011

always find it amazing that this is tolerable to you, yet Best Coast causes your ears to bleed.

March 27th 2011

on dick clark's new years rockin eve ryan seacrest asked her what her resolution was and she said 'not to turn into a douchebag' and haha too late

OutOfMyself

zing

Masochist
March 27th 2011

I'm happy I read this review. So many people seem to take Ke$ha at face value, as if that's actually who she is. You, Bitchfork, seem to understand that she's a parody...though to tell the truth, I think she's a female parody of all the hyper-sexualized MALE pop-singers (the ones who so casually condone misogyny). And also that her music fulfills its specific party-hard purpose and does absolutely nothing else (and isn't supposed to).

This review told me everything I needed to know about the EP and the music therein in the most succinct way possible. Pos'd, for sure.