Wiz Khalifa

1.5
very poor

by Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS
March 26th, 2011 | 141 replies

Review Summary: Atlantic is whittling away any semblance of credibility with these cookie cutter attempts at create-a-rapstar.

Honestly, you all know Wiz Khalifa. He's that guy... the one that shows you a picture of a topless recent conquest on his iphone, fixates on crude methods of debauchery, and is so arrogant his name means "wisdom" in Arabic. He smokes illicit substances found within Rolling Papers (apparently Papers alone would be a bit too confusing for Atlantic's customer base). He did that terrible song "Black and Yellow", hopefully to the chagrin of terrible-towel wielders with standards. Most relevant to this review, Wiz Khalifa is another talentless douche on the payroll of equally talentless and douchey label Atlantic. And unfortunately, we'll probably hear these idiotic, pre-packaged jingles for the next year in poorly DJ'd clubs, top 40s pop stations, and Asher Roth's next kegger.

If, like Odd Future's Tyler the Creator, you didn't already want to "crash that fucking airplane that that ****** n**** BoB was in" after Atlantic's 2010 abortion of an album in The Adventures of Bobby Ray, then last month's Lasers surely pushed you over the edge. If so, don't even bother with Rolling Papers as it is more of the same: overproduced, generic disney channel beats by names no one knows, derivative choruses and melodies that obviously sound manufactured by a tie-wielding Atlantic executive, and lyricism that fails at even being anthemic for parties. Seriously, who in the fuck is Benny Blanco? Noel Fisher? Bei Major? Wikipedia reveals them to be basically nobodies that made their own wikipedia entries. Even veteran top-40s production team StarGate drops constant duds throughout - "Black and Yellow", "Roll Up", "Wake Up" (looks like the direction Up is a recurring theme in their compositions), and "Cameras" brings the suck-fest full circle. Lyrically, Wiz is the same as ever - partying, chicks, being awesome, etc - at least his content is consistent with his credo. But as his nemesis Ghostface (no, not the real one) claims, he has "a bullshit ass rhyme book when it come down to it nahmean". Ghost's analysis rings true here, as Khalifa's "whole style is straight baby thighs son".

Atlantic is whittling away at any semblance of credibility with these cookie cutter attempts at create-a-rapstar. If music has no artistic merit or essence, what is the point?

Nacho Picasso and Avatar Darko VampsterdamGorguts Colored Sands
Run the Jewels Run the JewelsThe-Dream IV Play
James Blake OvergrownTyler the Creator Wolf
poor
Ben Thornburgh CONTRIBUTOR (3)
Not going to change your opinion but its pleasant enough....

kingsoby1
March 26th 2011

To read more of Big Ghostface's parables, check out http://bigghostnahmean.blogspot.com

Pretty hilarious that Wiz thought he was actually Ghostface Killah and cried that he got served.

Hawks
March 26th 2011

I don't think this is as bad as you, but it's nothing special. Get Your Shit is by far the best song here IMO.

kingsoby1
March 26th 2011

just deleted from comp. was burning a hole of suck in my hard drive.

Hawks
March 26th 2011

I always give Wiz the benefit of the doubt because he's from my hometown, so I hear a lot of him.

mozambique
March 26th 2011

this guy rolls mad bluntz

dixoncocks
March 26th 2011

"apparently Papers alone would be a bit too confusing for Atlantic's customer base"

Made me laugh

808muzik

This guy also sucks.

Digging: Ryan Hemsworth - Alone For The First Time

Bulldog
March 26th 2011

damn you soby. good review though. was a bit ranty here and there but its whatever. touches on all the right poitns.

dixoncocks
March 26th 2011

Although on my level is no disney beat.

theacademy

yo fuck rolling papers

joelco92

sounds like a winner

Urinetrouble
March 26th 2011

finally something we can all agree on

straight baby thighs son

NickelbackFTL
March 26th 2011

some of wiz's mixtapes are nice (though mostly because of production, not rapping), but his album work spans from mediocre to just flat out bad

cvlts
March 26th 2011

can't believe you took the time out of your day to write about this shit.

Masochist
March 26th 2011

I enjoyed "Say Yeah," not gonna lie.

Also...I don't know why, but the phrase "cookie-cutter" really gets on my nerves now.

Prince1993

Wow.. Is this so bad ?

Digging: Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways

JWT155
March 26th 2011

Had hopes for this but it seems pretty accurate with how record companies have thrown albums together, especially Lupe's Lasers.

AlexTM510
March 26th 2011

All i know is that he got to worked with a cool frou frou sample and he completely ruined it.

Can't stand this mofo

Digging: Bent Knee - Shiny Eyed Babies

Hep Kat
March 26th 2011

well at least $hort dogg's on it

Counterfeit