Women
Public Strain

by zach USER (27 Reviews)
March 23rd, 2011 | 42 replies | 4,235 views

Review Summary: I know I'm late but

Today is my dog’s birthday. He’s 9 years old. That’s 63 years in dog years if the old heuristic still holds. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t because I think I remember reading a news story or some journal article that disproved the “theory” but fuck whoever wrote that. Thanks for destroying my childhood. I can still remember when we brought him home. He was so adorable and playful. So scared of the street. Now he’s majestic and just doesn’t give a fuck. I think it’s nice dogs don’t have to work. They don’t have to worry about money, retirement plans, providing for their families or any of that shit. All they have to worry about is accumulating swag and making sure to shit outside.

There’s a picture of me holding my dog when we first picked him up. I had spiked hair. I thought it was cool back then because that one dude on The Brothers Garcia had his hair spiked and he got girls all the time. Now I think anyone with spiked hair is fucking lame. That’s inevitable though. You either hate who you were, or you hate what you’ve become.

I guess what I’m trying to say is fuck time.

Public Strain is an album lost in time and space. The compositions are formless. The guitars and drums are utterly disjointed, always searching for each other in the haze of unmitigated feedback and noise. At first, the album seems like it should fall apart at any second, but under further investigation it reveals itself to be perfectly cohesive. Each track perfectly bleeds into the other creating a journey from absolute confusion and chaos to clarity.

I guess the only problem with the album is that to fully understand and appreciate it you have to completely disassociate yourself from time and space and wholly immerse yourself in the expansive sea of noise. Soak your luffa in the pool of feedback and make a nice rich lather and apply it to your body. Let the disjointed guitar lines pull you apart so you can examine what’s inside. Understandably, most people aren’t willing to make that kind of intensive investment because afterwards, chances are you’ll never be the same.

God, I’ve become such a pretentious faggot.

Sun Kil Moon BenjiThe Weeknd Kiss Land
Teenage Cool Kids Queer SalutationsBeau Navire Lumens
Merchandise (Strange Songs) In the DarkOff Minor The Heat Death of the Universe
teddycutler1 (3)
Public Strain is a burial in a heavy sonic snowdrift, a chamber of blanket dissonance, an off-kilter...

Sam Feldman's Rating (4.5)

Adam Downer STAFF (5)

Eno (4.5)
Women go against the grain of 2010, leaving us with a record that is devoid of any warmth or soul. A...

Women

March 23rd 2011

interesting review...I kinda liked it.
never got into these guys, despite all the hype on this site

plane
March 23rd 2011

This is _the_ review. Bravo.

FlawedPerfection

robin

amazing

Incredible

March 23rd 2011

i bet maybe i could write something this cool if i put more than 15 minutes into mine

i just bet

conradtao

2090 Comments

pos

March 23rd 2011

Hep you're just bumming lately man, cheer up

mothercountry
March 23rd 2011

I'm digging this on speakers. Where it has a little bit of room to breathe . . .

March 23rd 2011

"Soak your luffa in the pool of feedback and make a nice rich lather and apply it to your body."

haha love that.
except I've always seen it spelled "loofah"....not that it's a word I see often.

iarescientists
March 23rd 2011

yeah i wasn't sure either so i googled it and there's a few different spellings

kitsch
March 23rd 2011

saw this on vinyl at a local record shop... thinking about buying it when im not so strapped for cash.

iarescientists

i want dat

couldwinarabbit
March 23rd 2011

that neg is bullshit this is a stellar review.

YetAnotherBrick

Awesome review.

AggravatedYeti

mmmmm.

tasty review.

Electric City
March 23rd 2011

not on my home computer, didn't plan to log in, read this, had to log in to pos. wonderful