YALL
Drink From Between Our Hair

by Lewis P. STAFF
March 22nd, 2011 | 21 replies | 8,248 views

Review Summary: Young Texas duo play it loud

For kids who cite math rock, midwest emo, doom metal, and J-pop as artistic influences, Texas duo YALL’s debut is surprisingly bold-faced and structurally sound, even more so for the band’s average age of 19. Tidbits like that J-pop nod are more to tickle the senses (and your interest) than to act as any sort of overlying aesthetic, but in a growing underworld of DIY rock bands, this breach of genre norms helps set YALL apart from their peers. Namely, it means that Drink From Between Our Hair isn’t here to impress, no matter that it does anyhow, but to provide a good, fun and sometimes honestly funny time. One only needs to read the song titles to reach that conclusion.

At a stark 23 minutes, YALL cover the broad range of aforementioned genres, but not in ways immediately apparent, especially when proposed on paper. “Tour That Groupie” flits nearly seamlessly between the favored midwest emo styling (with guitarist Travis Franklin bringing the track in with a quiet moment to slide a few notes out) and the noisier wash of their math rock roots. A break in the middle for a finger-tapping segment is instantly memorable, as when drummer Andy Richardson and Franklin seem to play off the other in wordless tandem. Other tracks like “Slow Hoteling” aren’t so easy to pin down, the heavier slant toeing the line of dogged hardcore until Franklin’s tapping spins the track in a new direction, if only for a few moments. “Crowd About It” is a straight-up amalgam of these disparate moments and is a highlight for it.

Opener “Banded to Write Noises” volleys this sentiment for genre work into the air with little regard for class: the intro is built on Franklin’s taut chords while Richardson fills in the tempo, the effect knocking around somewhere between power metal and pop rock. Before one can even care to guess what’s being emulated, the song is released with a gleeful sputter into the album’s lone vocal chorus, but don’t bother deciphering these lyrics; they’re sung in Japanese, buried so far into the mix that they come up choked in static. But damn, it’s catchy, and the air of good humour hangs heavy all the way until “Get On a Star Or” breaks down into fits of enraged screams. In those 23 minutes, you’ll find pieces of Lightning Bolt, Planets, Mineral, maybe even a little Ponytail, but what comes together feels distinctly of a piece. Considering the few weeks it took to put this album together, I suspect even more exciting genre work to come.

Jenny Hval VisceraDeerhunter Halcyon Digest
Wavves King of the BeachCirculatory System Signal Morning
Animal Collective Here Comes the IndianStorm and Stress Storm and Stress
3.2
good

March 22nd 2011

And it is free! Check it out

sniper
March 22nd 2011

fuck yeah a lewis review

gaslightanthem
March 22nd 2011

is this your own band haha

I am neither Travis nor Andy

robin
March 22nd 2011

tour that groupie is great.

gaslightanthem

I am neither Travis nor Andy

this is true

i think i remember making some (probably unfounded), assumption about this being your band after seeing you post something about it on facebook

Sounds kinda enticing. Downloading now

AggravatedYeti
March 22nd 2011

refuse to listen to this.

March 22nd 2011

But Yeti, you're my pal, and these my pals, and I love all of you

March 22nd 2011

mmm this is really good. 3.5 or 4 for sure, can't decide which.

FromDaHood
March 22nd 2011

Holy fuck Lewis P is back in action with a ballin review

Digging: Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

thas me jc

liledman
March 23rd 2011

these guys have emailed me heaps about posting this on my blog, finally listened and its pretty cool

AggravatedYeti
March 23rd 2011

I mean of course I'll listen to it.
the songs you posted on fb were pretty good if I remember right.

robertsona
March 23rd 2011

So these are friends? Will check out but in china and i think everything is banned ever. Hi lewis!

March 25th 2011

bump for the good will. album is free, link again:

March 25th 2011

ahhh this is so fun, a foot-tapper for sure.

PropaneNightmares
April 1st 2011

I've listened to this about 3 times through, and I love it a lot. Nice energetic music.

April 11th 2011

better quality upload for those interested

FromDaHood
August 23rd 2011

I really like this album but my siblings are haters and won't let me listen when they're around.