Slipknot
Iowa

by wikuk USER (24 Reviews)
November 11th, 2005 | 35 replies | 5,939 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

IOWA!

Slipknot's second album. The album is a lot harder than their S/T or Volume 3. but it's still good. With good singles: My Plague and Left Behind and some other songs which had the potention to be a good single: People = Sh*t and New Abortion the album makes itself into the great album. Besides that it is good it is also very angry, hard and heavy. Many people complain about which genre their in. With this album it is even more confusing as their close to the Death/Black metal genre but I think that their just a heavy Nu-metal band. Another thing people complain about is their numbers of members: 9!! Well, if people want to push the percussionists away, ok, but just realize that without them, it would never be Slipknot as you know now. Namely, they are very involved in songwriting and lots of decisions depends on them, but now back to the album.

Tracklist:

12. New Abortion
13. Metabolic
14. Iowa

1. (515)

The intro of the album, just screaming, worth skipping.
However I don't want to give a bad grade because this track sets the mood of the album
But still it's skipable.

Grade 6/10

2. People = Sh*t

The first real song, and what a song.... this track features the real Slipknot energy with the chorus screaming the genius sentence 4 times "People Equal Sh*t". It's hard to describe the arrangement in this song here because the song is so unstructured. Joey's drumming is solid as ever, featuring a small solo and the guitars also delivers great work. Corey's screaming is harder than normal and just like the other instruments it is just great. Another great thing I want to say before this track gets its grade is the build-up before the second chorus. The whole song has some interludes where the DJ uses something which is hard to describe, just look with your own computer or stereo whatever at 2.44. The build-up comes and while the members start playing faster and faster you realize something is coming. At the end Corey screams his lungs out with the second and final chorus. The only reason that keeps me from giving a 10 is that I've seen them doing this live even better, for the rest this is just real Slipknot.

Grade 9.9/10

3. Disasterpiece

Just after the first real song stops Mick Thompson starts playing a really catchy riff. The drums and bass follow later and make you realize this another hard song.
The couplet is just normal Slipknot but the chorus features some real good lyrics. The lyrics sound evil and can make you uncomfortable: "No one is safe, noises, noises, people make noises, people make noises when they're sick! Nothing to do except hold on to nothing". Great lyrics, and for the rest, the verse is just twice length and some new lyrics, chorus is again awesome. Then the bridge/outro comes and is I think the longest bridge/outro they've ever done. Not bad but loses value as it repeats itself for about 100000 times. :( but still awesome.

4. My Plague

Featuring my favorite track of this album: My Plague. The reason is why this is my favorite is that the chorus is sung while the rest is just screaming, and that's the way how I want my Slipknot songs. The track starts with some guitars and drums with some pauses and immediately goes into the couplet. As the percussionists go mad in the couplet Joey seems to take a step backwards with his drumming. That's not bad because in the chorus HE goes mad. The chorus is one of the best parts Slipknot has ever recorded (IMO h) with Corey singing top notch, Joey doing some weird timing and guitars do some catchy things, especially the high notes. The bridge is also great but not as good as the chorus, which of course makes the chorus only even better. And with an awesome ending the memory of a great track still remains.

Grade 10/10

5. Everything Ends

This is a typical Slipknot song, with some crazy drumming, nice guitar and Corey screaming and singing. The song starts with Corey singing "You are wrong, ***ed, and overrated. I think I'm gonna be sick and it's your fault. This is the end of EVERYTHING, You are the end of EVERYTHING. I haven't slept since I woke up And found my whole life was a lie, mother***er. This is the end of EVERYTHING, You are the end of EVERYTHING.". That are some really good lyrics, and the rest of the song features also Slipknot on their best. With a shattering bridge where the high guitar in the chorus (which is truly awesome) switches to a lower point. The outro is also some noise done by the guitar and sets the mood for this song (weird). Great track.

Grade 9/10

6. The Heretic Anthem

This is song is standard except for one thing: the double base. Joey gives this song a crazy double base which directs the whole song. The rest of the song is pretty standard, sounds good, but still standard. With a chorus where Corey screams "When you're 555 then I'm 666" which is just as People = Sh*t repeated for a few times. The bridge is a bit longer than the rest of the songs and features some weird timing. Also the intro and outro are nice done by the DJ, where the intro is a countdown like a rocket, with some mixed points between it, the outro is just noise with Corey screaming and puking on the background. A great song.

7. Gently

Wow! This totally unexpected. On the raw, hard IOWA you find a kind of ballad. (at least for IOWA). Later you'll find out that there is lots of screaming but the first part (also the best part) is with accoustic guitar, Corey singing/muttering and no speed drumming. The song is meant to be very mysterious but somehow it doesn't succeed in that. The Gently on Disasterpieces (where a review is coming from soon:) ) is much better, but still this is a nice track.

Grade 7.5/10

8. Left Behind

This was the first single (I think) featuring the famous goat in the videoclip. The song itself is a bit softer than the rest, with less aggresive shouts and more singing this song is perfect for a single. This guitar driven song is great for listening after school (at least, if you hate school) because of the harsh but still emotional parts in it.
Well, what can I say more than that? The bridge is a bit calmer but still holds the power of the song. The outro is also very long because of a noise that fades away very slowly, sounds good.

9. The Shape

This just another angry song, and maybe skipable, but still, the quality is very good. The song is very harsh but has a calm intro which makes you relax, like the calmth before the storm. The couplet is just angry, nothing special, but the chorus is well done. The chorus is where Corey switches between his regular screaming to singing, very well done! The rest is just like the other songs but less perfect and sounds unfinished. But still a decent song.

Grade 7.5/10

10. I Am Hated

This is the rap song of the CD, with a simple intro the song bursts into the couplet which has Corey rapping on top speed. The whole song is full of mixed voices which makes it very interesting. The chorus is also good and reminds me much to Spit It Out! also because of the rapping style it has. And for the rest there is nothing more to say, just a good song.

11. Skin Ticket

This is the follower of Prosthetics. With a slow but creepy intro the guitars give a scary sound and a lot of DJ stuff is heard. The verse is very soft, with Corey muttering "Zero and zero is nothing but zero. Cancer and people conspire together. Running and running and going forever. Collected and sampled, starving for zero". The chorus is very hard but still creepy and scary, Just like Scissors the song becomes louder and angrier after time, and in the end Corey screams his lungs out with the sentence "Keeping myself alive". Everything is great about this song but it doesn't fit into each other so it sounds a bit unfinished. This Scissors and Prosthetics mix puts out together very good but is not as good as the first two songs.

Grade 9/10]

12. New Abortion

This is another near-perfect song, with a stunning intro with some helicopter sounds and cool drumming this song sets itself in the spotlights. The couplets are very angry and just before you think this is just another Slipknot average song the couplet changes itself into the chorus. The chorus is awesome and simple at the same time, it also features one of Slipknot's best lyrics. "Everywhere you look, it's like they know. Their fingerprints are hidden by CONTROL. This is where the line is drawn, see, YOU CAN'T TAKE MY SOUL AWAY FROM ME!!". And just like Metabolic and The Shape, Corey switches between shouting and singing, but this time it all fits together. And before all the people want to comment that I'm too fanboy, the bridge comes. Omg, a bit disappointing as there is mostly Corey screaming "You can't keep my soul away from me", not bad, but could have been much better. The outro is just a final chorus (my naming for an extra chorus but with more energy) and a suddenly stop. Awesome in all ways.

Grade 9.5/10

13. Metabolic

After Skin Ticket and New Abortion this song sounds very forced, unfinished and it feels like they made it in only one week. The intro is well made with weird timing but the rest is just normally screaming, shouting and what else Corey does besides singing or whispering. The chorus sounds just like The shape and New abortion with half screaming and half shouting, but this is just half finished with some flaws. The rest is also not bad but just not enough to be a good track. The bridge features some really nice guitar riffs that makes the grade a bit higher, but still not as good the rest.

Grade 7/10

14. Iowa

This is the follower of Scissors, but instead of being awesome (like Scissors was) this is turned out to be boring, uninspiring, just too long (almost double length from Scissors) track. It is hard to describe what kinds of elements this song has but just to make it short, it features every element the songs on this album have. The instruments however are great and Joey's drumming is really nice, not too fantastic, but just really nice. This is also the ending of the album so I won't be too harsh as every album needs a special ending. This ending is just less spectacular than some other albums.

Grade 5.5/10

Worst top 3:

1.IOWA
2.(313)
3.Metabolic

Conclusion:

After all, this is their hardest album till now, and IMO also their worst (not counting MFKR) but still awesome. Instead of the experimental Vol. 3 where lots of singing elements where or S/T with their furious songs, this album features slow-but-not-too-slow tracks and some really energetic tracks. This is however also a bit repetive like it's just a follower of S/T: 1 rap song (Spit It Out - I Am Hated), 1 long end (Scissors - IOWA), 1 scary song (Prosthetics - Skin Ticket), 1 intro-thingie 735423blablabla - (313), 1 mysterious track (Tattered & Torn - Gently), and lots of angry songs. And although this is not their best album it's still a good one.

Pro's:

- Joey's drumming
- Corey's voice
- lots of angry songs

Con's:

- many tracks sound the same
- some tracks sound unfinished
- just a bit too hard (for me)

A 4/5

Linkin Park ReanimationLimp Bizkit Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog...
Soilwork Stabbing the DramaIn Flames Clayman
Rush GoldIn Flames Whoracle

wikuk
November 11th 2005

people, please vote whether you thought this was a good review or not!!!!:D

November 11th 2005

you don't want me to...JK

wonderful another track by track, oh well I guess it's one of the best t-b-t I've seen. This album isn't that good really.This Message Edited On 11.11.05

November 11th 2005

Good album, not so good review. Track by tracks are the easy way out.

harsh Thor, harsh

oh my you must hate tbt's you negged the guy

November 11th 2005

Well, I don't like TBT's because they are not as entertaining to read and get old after seeing so many of them.

November 11th 2005

Hey thor, I looked at you latest review and it didn't take long for me to discern it as a tbt made to look like a paragraph style review so why don't you shut up!

Iowa = Sh*t

But seriously, the only album I've ever liked from SlipKnoT was Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses). However, "Left Behind" is a great track. "People = Sh*t", "Disasterpiece", and "The Heretic Anthem" are songs that I find only enjoyable to mosh to.

November 11th 2005

yeah, Vol.3 and MFKR are easily the best and the other 2 aren't so hot.

/hopes next album is a combo of Vol.3 and MFKR even tho I know it won't beThis Message Edited On 11.11.05

Killtacular
November 11th 2005

Iowa is the best song on here, and possibly the best Slipknot song ever.

November 11th 2005

I wasn't saying the song was sh*t, I was saying the album was. You know a metal band is bad if they use lyrics in their songs like "I wanna slit your throat and f**k the wound".This Message Edited On 11.11.05

November 11th 2005

Maybe he wasn't talking to you barosjn and just stating his opinion.

Killtacular
November 11th 2005

I was referring to the reviewer.

I'd also say this is probably their worst album, but I haven't heard all of Vol. 3.

November 11th 2005

at least i was partially right

Arrakakaka
November 11th 2005

Thor. You did t-b-ts at one time. So did alot of people. And it looks like you still do.This Message Edited On 11.11.05

November 11th 2005

I say what all the tracks are like, but I don't follow the standard format like this review. I make it more entertaining to read. Everyone needs to get off my back.

November 11th 2005

the only difference is you don't number the songs

ocelot-05
November 11th 2005

Dude, this is probably your most detailed review you've done so far. I don't know if I agree with some of the stuff you said, but well done.

ocelot-05
November 11th 2005

My Plague was the very first Slipknot song I ever heard, and I still love it to this day. I think it is one of the best nu metal tracks ever made. wikuk, I actually find 515 very atmospheric, and I never skip it. And as for the song Iowa, I don't find it boring at all. It is a very dark and depraved song that is good to listen to when you're reading a good book at night.

CmS
November 11th 2005

From the songs ive heard, and what ive heard from others...
This album sucks

November 11th 2005

515 is actually a good intro compared to the other number intro. As for Prelude 3.0, I wouldn't consider it an intro, but a warm-up song.