Thy Art Is Murder
This Hole Is Not Deep Enough for the Twelve of You

by ZaneSaberson USER (1 Reviews)
March 20th, 2011 | 8 replies | 8,267 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Though their technical talent is undoubted, "This Hole Is Not Deep Enough For the Twelve of You" lacks a certain definitive element. It is by no means a bad demo, but it isn't something any deathcore fan hasn't heard before.

"This Hole Isn't Deep Enough For the Twelve of You", the first official demo of the deathcore/technical death metal band "Thy Art Is Murder" certainly shows off the ability of all involved. The leads are blistering, the double-bass pounding, and the vocals reaching both crushing lows and screaming highs. However, there are certain points which hold the demo back from becoming something greatly unique, and unfortunately it seems to fade into the hundreds of other deathcore clones that have been released.

First, the good, the band has an incredible level of talent. The guitarists complement each other perfectly even at breakneck speed, the percussionist plays quickly without overpowering the other instruments, and the vocalist is quite unique in his screaming. The bassist, too, is talented but that will be discussed in greater length momentarily. The band has certain elements which are very "TAIM", part which are very unique to Thy Art Is Murder.

However, too often the best parts, the unique parts, are overpowered by the 'textbook' deathcore that is often heard in many other works. Breakdowns occur at seemingly random moments, the bass in nearly inaudible, the vocals don't have nearly the effect they do in "Infinite Death", and frankly there aren't any groundbreaking, standout tracks in the listing. Are these small things? Yes, but they all contribute to the degradation of a demo that really does have a lot of potential.

This demo is not a bad demo, and at certain parts it is actually quite unique and overall enjoyable. However, the little flaws in its design and the overall lack of anything particularly unique lead to something that is a good listen at best and annoying at worst. If you're an avid deathcore/tech death fan, don't expect anything you haven't heard before.

2.7

Rev
March 20th 2011

I used to love these guys

ButcheredChildren
March 20th 2011

second and third paragraph can be attached there's no need to make them seperate

also good review, pos'd

Butkuiss
March 21st 2011

A few people I know absolutely love these guys. The drummer is my friend's sister's friend, as is the guitarist for Heroes for Hire. The drummer is crazy talented, and Whore to a Chainsaw is entertaining enough, but most of their material just lacks oomph.

Digging: The National - High Violet

liledman
March 21st 2011

pretty sure ive seen these guys playing some random show down my way. fucking sucked if i remember correctly.

pillowswantyoursoul
March 22nd 2011

I used to bro out to the Infinite Death Ep every day before I realized how generic they are. Good
review.

October 21st 2012

Can i haz dl link for this? I cant find any..

Digging: The Chariot - Long Live