CunninLynguists
Oneirology

by Cognautic USER (2 Reviews)
March 17th, 2011 | 23 replies | 4,596 views

Review Summary: Kno's production takes the forefront, and, for once, not always for the better.

Truthfully, before I had access to this album, I was expecting it to be my baby. I literally believed that it would be one of the greatest hip hop albums ever made and be my favorite. Little did I realize that when you set a bar so unrealistically high, you'll soon see that there's no such thing as an album of the angels that is pure ear-jizz. However, though I was disappointed, this by no means that it was bad.

Lyrically, the album was great. Every single rapper's performance on every track was dope, Deacon and Natti particularly outperforming themselves. From their touching and energetic verses on Stars Shine Brightest to Deacon's softly delivered verse on Darkness, Cunninlynguists usual charisma takes their place in Oneirology. Flow wise, however, they haven't reached any of the heights that they have reached before, but there is a reason for this, which I believe to be the albums only flaw.

Though Kno's beats are all beautiful and atmospheric, a term that I have never felt I have ever had to use before in a sense that it would fit applies. "Overproduced." In some songs the combination of synths and hard hitting drums work beautifully, creating amazing sonic landscapes, such as in "Darkness", but sometimes there's just too much going on, and with so happening for so long it's bound to eventually tire you out. By the time I reached "Dreams" I was sorely tired of what I perceived as the same drums sampled on every song, accompanied by several layers of synths once again. Although synths and angelic choirs are both great, they just didn't do so great on that song. Of course, after the second slip up in a row in the form of what supposedly could be called (corny) spoken word, the song Embers renewed my passion for synths, high pitched choruses, and divine choirs with its pure dopeness.

All in all, it was a great experience. The album had many great songs, and though there were a few tracks that I believe were subpar with the rest of the album, I feel that it was by no means a bad, or even average album. When I consider it as a whole, despite the fact that it had a few points where I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped, it was still sublime. I would highly recommend it to you, but rest assured, it is nothing at all like any past Cunninlynguists album, not even Death is Silent, though they might appear similar. Fan or not, it's a brand new experience, and even if you hate Will Rap For Food, Southerunderground, A Piece of Strange, and Dirty Acres, you might enjoy this one.

Deviant STAFF (4.5)
Combining well thought out lyricism with soul baring beats, CunninLynguists have crafted one of the ...

March 17th 2011

I started writing in the sound off feature, and I was writing for a while, so I figured I would just post it as a review. I hope no one rips it too much...

cvlts
March 17th 2011

uhmmm, review and rating kinda disagree with each other on this

March 17th 2011

What would it imply then?

InASilentWay
March 17th 2011

Cognautic Creix from yahoo? Lol if it is, its Stillill didnt know you came on here.

InASilentWay
March 17th 2011

And btw this reads like a 3.5. You are implying it could have been much better.

March 17th 2011

Hey Stillill, nice to see you. I come here occasionally, but I haven't really taken part in anything until now. Ok, I guess I'll change my rating accordingly..

March 17th 2011

Exceeppppttt I don't know how to do that. Help a brother out?

Butkuiss
March 17th 2011

Don't go changing your rating if you feel it's a 4.5/5. Reword your review to better support your arguments. This is YOUR opinion; not anybody else's. If you feel it's a 3.5, that's fine, change it. Just make sure your writing and rating are in sync with your opinion.

Digging: Sage Francis - Copper Gone

review is ok, definitely should be a 3.5 at most though

Digging: Ought - More Than Any Other Day

Aids
March 17th 2011

"Exceeppppttt I don't know how to do that. Help a brother out?"

go to your profile, there's a button that says "Edit My Reviews/Albums" underneath your picture, on the left

PuddlesPuddles

Jaysus I need this

DaveyCT
March 18th 2011

I haven't heard it yet, but Cunninlynguists always keeps me interested.

Join the music community at Muzicol.com today

Polymath
March 18th 2011

Great review but still...

March 19th 2011

Know what, I'll just reword it a little and change it back to 4.5, because, tbh, I feel like it
deserves one.

I'll be sure to give it a couple more listens too.

808muzik
March 29th 2011

This is so good. Review is alright.

Hawks
March 29th 2011

Yeah there's some grammar errors here and there, but it wasn't too bad. Album is fantastic though.

Digging: Manners - Pale Blue Light

ckunke002
May 3rd 2011

Whatup Cog and Stillill.... itssss BIG BIRD!

qwe3