Bad Company
Bad Company

by ManintheBox USER (4 Reviews)
March 17th, 2011 | 19 replies | 7,091 views

Release Date: 1974 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Bad Company show that super groups aren't always overrated and that just because an album is old doesn't mean it can't rock your socks off!

Admittedly, I am not the biggest 60s/70s classic rock buff (I’m more of a 90’s grunge/altrock and heavy metal fanatic). I enjoy a lot of single songs by many different bands but when it comes to most rock albums from the 70s I kind of just roll my eyes listen to it once then leave it to sit with my other CDs (Few exceptions: skynyrd, zeppelin, and Aerosmith). Yes I am admitting it, I find some definite classics boring, berate me if you want. That being said I borrowed Bad Company’s self-titled recently from a good friend, (along with another great classic album:ZZ Top’s Eliminator) and now to my surprise, I can safely say that this album is now in constant rotation and probably will get plenty more plays in the distant future.

Now for a brief history, Bad Company is a super group formed in England in 1973 consisting of members from Free(singer Paul Rodgers, drummer Simon Kirke), King Crimson(bassist Boz Burrell), and Mott and the Hoople (guitarist Mick Ralphs). The following year, in 1974, they released their debut album, Bad Company(this album). It was a much justified hit debuting at number 1 on the billboard 200 and going on to sell over 5 million copies in the US.

Now that you’ve heard enough of me rambling about the album here is a track by track review.
Can’t get enough of your love: This song is arguably Bad Company’s most well known song(besides Bad Company). In my mind though, it’s not really deserving of it. It is a good song but no where near the best on even this album. It starts off with a 1,2,3 from Kirke(drums) and then comes in the riff and drums and then continues as a good but generic 70’s rock song. The best part of the song by far though, is the guitar solo laid down Ralphs in the bridge and then again at the end of the song. 8/10
Rock steady: This is an awesome heavier song with some bluesy southern influences. It kicks off with a great riff that can be heard all throughout the song. Then the drums come in with some nice use of the cowbell. The highlight though would have to be Rogers vocals especially on the final chorus. 10/10
Ready for love: This is the first ballad off the album and definitely the best. It starts off with a gloomy atmosphere in verses with some great bluesy piano played here and there. Then the pre-chorus comes in with some really catchy group vocals and then after that, you get the even catchier chorus. Also some great use of the ride by Kirke nears the end of the song as well. 10/10 Don’t let me down: Another ballady song with an even gloomier sound than Ready For Love. But unlike Ready for Love it lacks catchy hooks. It is also the only song off the album with a saxophone which appears in the bridge. 8/10
Bad company: The best song off the album and the most well known, Bad Company, off of Bad Company, by bad company is both soft and hard hitting at the same time with some great and moving lyrics. The spotlight of this song is arguably Rogers and he does a great job carrying it for all of 5 minutes. Even though Rogers is the standout everyone else performs perfectly as well. 10/10
The way I choose: This is definitely the weakest song off the album. This is the third ballad of the album and the most upbeat yet still an extremely slow song and seems to drag on longer than its 5 minute run time. Other than not really much else to say. 6/10
Movin’ on: Finally another energetic track, Movin’ On is a great fast paced song about the life style of a band member, “Movin on Baby, never gonna touch the ground.” The best and catchiest part is the group vocals found in the bridge though with some great drum work throughout the song. 10/10
Seagull: The final song off the album is a slower entirely acoustic ballad. Probably the 2nd best vocal performance by Rogers is on this song kind of possessing the same atmosphere as Bad Company. 9/10

Over all this album is extremely good and flows really well, although admittedly The Way I Choose lessons some of the impact left by the amazing Bad company. Thoroughly enjoyed the combination of Rock steady and Ready For Love, also kudos for seagull being the closing track, great choice. On a final note this is how classic rock albums should be, containing enough variation of sound and content Bad company is one of the best albums to come out of the 70s rock scene.
9/10
(first review posted on this site:criticism is always helpful)

keep on phishin' (5)

pizzamachine
March 17th 2011

Criticism:
1. Needs distinct paragraphs.
2. Divide paragraphs.
3. When putting in brackets, use spaces.

Ex:
Don't: classic rock buff(I’m
Do: classic rock buff (I’m

Also, this site loathes track-by-track reviews. Try to describe future albums as whole bodies of music.

Acanthus
March 17th 2011

Pizza nailed it, I love the self-titled off this album though; Gears of War + Bad Company = greatness

erasedcitizen

Gears 3 and BF3 in the same year bitches

BigHans

Album rules hard

Jethro42
March 18th 2011

Good 1st review. Superb album yes.

JamieTwort

20363 Comments

Excellent album, props for reviewing this.

ManintheBox
March 18th 2011

@pizza:thanks for the critiques, I'll be sure to fix the reveiw. weird, I've always enjoyed track by tracks I guess because its just feels like your giving each track a fair, full on review. Will have to try what you suggested next review though.
@jethro and jamie:thanks =)....as you said and album this good deffinenty deserves it.

Activista anti-MTV
November 16th 2011

Chose a gun and threw away the sun

Cipieron
November 20th 2011

'Rock Steady' just came on the work radio... so fucking good

helixrockerkid126
May 1st 2012

Quite simple, brilliant.

ManintheBox
May 8th 2012

Truth^ Jammin to seagull now

Snooze00
April 3rd 2013

I really dislike this Album. Its so boring, cant believe i was recomended this crap. Some people just have really BAD taste.

Cipieron
April 3rd 2013

lol I feel bad for ya kid, you're missing out

manosg

Really fun album.

Digging: Saviour Machine - Saviour Machine I

JamieTwort

20363 Comments

Great album but Free >>> Bad Company imo.

manosg
April 8th 2013

Indeed. Paul Kossoff was a difference maker.

mark7477
March 21st 2014

The best BC album ever everything down to the hits and everything in between rock steady and ready for love and many others.

DikkoZinner
July 14th 2014

Oh baby I'm ready for love

Digging: Incantation - Dirges of Elysium

danielcardoso
August 27th 2014

1902 Comments

Seagull is a very sweet closer. Great album, but Free tops Bad Company by a mile.