Mother Mother
Eureka

by GulliKyro USER (8 Reviews)
March 16th, 2011 | 19 replies | 10,316 views

Review Summary: Unique flavour triple distilled.

It may be a cliché but the old saying “Lightening in a bottle” can be a useful tool in a metaphor arsenal. It is at once visually evocative and absurd. Beware your intended target may begin to question the logistical challenges of lightening bottle catching, but you must be sure to slap them hard across the face and demand attention to be re-affixed on the shiny flitting light-show in front of them. This is the attitude one should take with the latest Mother Mother record to accord it its deserved label as an instant classic. Deviation will only spoil the experience and honestly who wishes to do this beyond the masochistic or cynical.

Previous devotees of the band will be well aware of their ping pong vocal exchanges from male to female members, all this backed up by a slightly unhinged backing section that seems to have arrived from a time warped 1973. Well to the initiated the following needs to be imparted. Mother Mother have taken their distinctive style and pumped it full of steroids. The smoothness of the vocal and tempo changes has become so seamless and rapid you’d swear it’s been set to an exhibition football match from Barcelona FC. Be it the mischievous first single “The Stand”, the ridiculously upbeat “Baby Don’t Dance” or the ominous “Oleander” the delivery from founding member Ryan Guldemond and relatively new recruit Jasmin Parkin comes off flawlessly. Indeed it’s hard to imagine Mother Mother before the addition of Parkin.

This does not mean you should fear that Mother Mother have become a safe homogenised indie rock outfit that the Canadian music scene appears to be able to spit out with frightening ease. The country banjo forays are still present as are the stabbing synth lines, and the strange vocal and sound samples still crop up. It’s just that on Eureka they are a pleasant addition and not a larger distraction.

If one had to criticise the bands previous efforts it was that the kooky offbeat style was on occasion too hectic and slapdash. It felt like it was being crazy simply for the sake of it, and even though the general strength of the group generally compensated it was a final hurdle they needed to clear before being taken seriously as top tier players. With Eureka they still sound like a rock group that have landed from another planet but that this time they brought proper amplifiers.

It’s simultaneously the best rock and the best pop record of 2011 thus far and it will take some beating to be dislodged from its perch.

Antonio Pinto Senna (Original Soundtrack)Clare Maguire Light After Dark

St. Vincent

AM

Jash
March 16th 2011

i dont think this band could ever put out a "classic" record but theyre still good. Review could use some work, not bad but it didnt exactly make me feel like i need this album or like you even liked it as much as the 5 suggests, which is an important thing to do if youre writing a 5 review for something

Digging: Wen - Signals

thebhoy
March 16th 2011

Yeah I can never see this band putting out a classic record either. Mostly because they aren't that good.

DaveM
March 19th 2011

"Good" is what you like. If clever lyrics, solid instrumentation, unique hooks and harmonies are your thing, you're going to have a great time with 'Eureka.' Mother Mother have crafted a style and sound all their own. This third release will break them to the wider audience that should have discovered 'O My Heart,' another really inventive offering.

lolwut?

Digging: Caleb McAlpine - All Things New

March 21st 2011

This... is kind of awkward.

pizzamachine
March 21st 2011

Hahaha review tries *way* too hard to sound smart.

March 22nd 2011

Oh I always write like that no trying to hard involved. Tis rather shoddy with retrospect though banging it out in 10 minutes when bored doesn't help the flow, but sure one might as well try for a good write up or a bad one no in between needed.

lancebramsay
March 26th 2011

METAPHOR ARSENAL!

Errr, what?

Aids
April 1st 2011

I didn't see that this got reviewed. I was planning on doing it, I was pretty much the only one hear who heard their last one at the time of my review.

Good to see this review sucks so my review will be the default haha.

I haven't heard the album yet but I would be surprised if it was a 5. I heard 7 of the songs live and they weren't nearly as good as the songs on O My Heart

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

April 1st 2011

Aaah tis quite easy to give a 5 when one considers music to be the cultural equivalent of Soul Calibur 4.

One could debate the erroneous path of engaging heavily in relativism when dealing with music but I consider it far fairer game then if somebody does it with cinema. Either way I've have a few enjoyable debates on it before although I doubt a sputnik reply box thing would facilitate another one that anybody would get anything useful out of.

Spec
June 14th 2011

Seeing them with The Dudes this summer. Should be a lot of fun.

July 31st 2011

Still one of the best albums of the year by a country mile.

cinaedus
August 13th 2011

gonna check this out chasing it down is prettty gewd

August 13th 2011

This album is pretty awesome. "Oleander" and "Baby Don't Dance" have amazing hooks - particularly in the end of the latter.

September 17th 2011

I knew you would be turned Irving! Good man I shall buy you a pint when you visit ireland.

September 17th 2011

I always liked this album man. But I'll still take you up on that pint offer ;)

thedearlydeparted
January 15th 2013

I loved a lot of the songs on here, but as an album, I didn't quite connect with it.

JokineAugustus
February 7th 2013

I wouldn't say this is a 5, but there are quite a few good songs on here.

Digging: Trash Talk - 119