Confide
Recover

by Kronzo USER (43 Reviews)
March 14th, 2011 | 8 replies

Confide was a Christian metalcore band from LA that broke up last year. Their sophomore album, Recover, is really nothing to get excited about. There is nothing inherently terrible about the record, it’s just painfully mediocre and repetitive. By the end of it, the listener probably won’t remember anything (save for a small handful of decent moments) because all of the songs sound identical. Honestly, none of the musicians are bad at what they do. However, Recover is plagued with lame breakdowns, identical song structures, and an overall lack of any unique personality.

In terms of positive things about the record, “The View From My Eyes” is a catchy song that I enjoy, and the band playing the music doesn’t seem too shabby at all. Ross Kenyon is definitely an adequate screamer. His commanding voice demands attention from the listener and he also has a decent range. A good example of this is “My Choice Of Words” where he displays both these traits quite well. The guitarists, while they play a lot of breakdowns, actually have some interesting riffs now and then like the opening riff in “The View From My Eyes”. The bass player doesn’t really do anything, but no one was really expecting much. Joel Piper, the drummer and clean vocalist, doesn’t really do anything bad on the record. His clean singing is decent and the drumming is perfectly listenable.

However, while the band seems polished enough, their song writing skills are quite the opposite on Recover. As with a lot of today’s metalcore albums, we have a lot of breakdowns to find here. “80B” opens up with a really lame chugging exercise, the opening chug to “My Choice Of Words” sounds like something Attack Attack! would write. “People Are Crazy” contains a lot of the same breakdowns too. It’s almost as if the band injects them into their music to make up for the lack of real composition.

Joel Piper is one of the more prominently heard band members on this record. While he isn’t a bad musician by any means, his processed clean vocals are what make the songs sound the same. In “Tell Me I’m Not Alone” The guitarists seem to play slightly more creative riffs when the screaming kicks in and play overused and boring chord progressions to compliment the clean vocals. The choruses with clean vocals aren’t even catchy most of the time even though they try really hard to be. Also, as previously mentioned the band structures almost all their songs exactly the same: screaming in the verse, singing in the chorus, and then cutting to a breakdown. It seems more and more forced as the album goes on. “When Heaven Is Silent” and “Now Or Never” both open up with similar electronic parts and the last two tracks on the album open up in almost the exact same fashion.

Overall, this record isn’t awful by any means. The guitarists sprinkle some interesting riffs in the record and the screaming is good. “The View From My Eyes”, and “Delete, Repeat” stood out a little bit more to me on the record. There are just too many breakdowns, there’s a lack of bass playing, all the over-processed clean choruses sound the same, and I finished the record with nothing really catching my ear. They try so hard to put hooks into their music but most of it just fails to be interesting. Most of Recover seems really forced and it sounds like a less creative We Came As Romans, which isn’t a good thing at all. Skip this record.

2.5/5

Buckethead 3 Foot ClearanceBuckethead Empty Space
Buckethead It's AliveGlass Cloud Perfect War Forever
Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2Protest the Hero Volition
2.8
good
Tyler Christian Pifer (3)
Not nearly as bad as people think, however, it is still a pretty generic album...

Chris Higgins (1.5)
Confide has hit their downfall, 'Recover' is a giant experiment in simplicity and repetivity....

B R A N D O N S C O T T (1)
Sturgiscore...

March 14th 2011

Hey guys it's been awhile, I'll be getting back to Buckethead soon but I needed something a little easier to review to get back into the game.

Cheers

March 14th 2011

^Pretty much, I might lower this to 2 but idk yet.

TheOceanInside
March 14th 2011

honesty this release and any of underoath releases are nothing alike

March 14th 2011

i think he more-so meant their physical appearance. also generally i don't say this but another negative review for this album was pretty pointless, i think it's pretty well-established that this sucks

March 14th 2011

Mine wasn't AS negative though ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh

March 14th 2011

then i may need to neg for poor judgment

March 14th 2011

no please not my approval rating!!!!

March 14th 2011

Nah dude I was just kidding, I disagree and still think the review is a bit unnecessary, but I can't deny that it's actually an extremely well written review. You'll get my pos and I hope your next review is an album more deserving...**cough Buckethead **cough .