Travis Barker
Give The Drummer Some

by KillYourRadio USER (4 Reviews)
March 13th, 2011 | 33 replies | 12,827 views

Review Summary: Travis Barker pools the efforts of hip hop's best to produce an absolutely stellar album.

It's almost impossible to think of where to begin with this album. I guess I'll start with "wow" - which is about the only verbal sound I was able to conjure up after my first spin of Give The Drummer Some. Admittedly I was not in the slightest expecting much from this album. I wanted to hear it; considering Travis's stature in the industry and noting his collaborations that have had great effect (see Bun B : Late Night Creepin') but I wasn't entirely convinced that Travis could produce beats that fitted the unique ability of all of the artists featured on this record.

Boy was I way off. The moment Game comes on the mic in the opening track "Can A Drummer Get Some", I knew this album was for real. Immediately you are grabbed by insanely produced beats, distorted guitars and rap that takes you back to when rap was - well, actually any good. Somehow, Barker manages to make Lil Wayne sound impressive - and with what is arguably one of the worst verses in the entire album; Wayne isn't nearly as bad as he is in most other instances.

This album features a plethora of hip hop giants and the fact that Barker can seamlessly weave them all together on one record that flows so smoothly is even more impressive. These are rappers with entirely different styles - featuring verses from polar opposites such as Lupe Fiasco, Raekwon, and Tech N9ne; Travis produces beats that fits each style perfectly - leaving you salivating for more after each song. The only thing that prevents this from getting a 5 from me is the song "Knockin'" which features Snoop, Ludacris and E-40 - the song is very underwhelming and although it's not entirely terrible, it is very noticeably the worst song on the record (and sitting at track #4, it takes the train off the track pretty early).

Luckily, the rest of the album is near flawless - with everyone rapping at top form; and killer beats that need to be heard on a great system to truly appreciate, there is very little chinks in this album and it definitely deserves to be in the rotation of anybody who calls themselves a music fan. I recommend checking out the deluxe edition; which features an additional four tracks that really are worth hearing (which include features from Corey Taylor, Clipse, Steve Aoki and includes my personal favorite track "Don't *** With Me")

Don't let this album pass you by - it's an absolute must listen.

good

Prince1993

Finally, a review.

DoubtGin
March 13th 2011

will listen, but I cant imagine this being somewhat good

March 13th 2011

Carry It was great, I didn't care for the rest.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

Stream?

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

Kris.
March 13th 2011

its streamin on his myspace

Willie

Cool.

dub sean
March 13th 2011

I had high hopes for this album. They fell rather short.

Tupik
March 13th 2011

Excellent first review, have a pos.

I hadn't even heard of this, sounds interesting, I'll give it a listen. Not something I think I'd be particularly fond of, but it's for the same reasons you pointed out in the intro, I might be in for a good surprise.

letsgofishing

Killer first review

Digging: Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye

dimsim3478
March 13th 2011

Great first review, man! Keep it up!

Digging: My Psychoanalyst - Choreomania

HangEmHigh
March 13th 2011

as much as I disagree with your opinion, you wrote a good first review so have a pos. however, i think this album is overproduced to hell and the choice of rappers could have been a little better.

woodman1
March 13th 2011

Good review. I love that the drums are upfront judging by the title they should be. The title of this album proves the strength of social media. I'm a drummer, and for the last month, every time I typed the word drummer into a search engine this recording pops up. So I guess the title means more than you realize.

Bulldog
March 13th 2011

stopped reading when you said that travis barker beats brought rap to when it was actually good. gonna let off steam for 5 minutes then come back and read more

Urinetrouble

^lol agreed

Bulldog
March 13th 2011

there is very little chinks in this album

are*

good first review. pos'd

Scoot
March 13th 2011

"there is very little chinks in this album"

the aggregate penis size must be enormous

Digging: Unjust - Glow

seneca89
March 14th 2011

I really didn't think Barker would be able to produce beats that fit all of the features on the album (such a diverse group
of features). Yet he is able to produce beats tailored to each of their strengths (for the most part). Very surprised to
like this album so much, and to the person who said the album is over produced, I would claim it is less so than 90%
(maybe more) of mainstream rap albums.