Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Night Castle

1.5
very poor

by Dante Pizzuti USER (9 Reviews)
March 12th, 2011 | 16 replies | 4,272 views

Review Summary: What would have been an OK album, is bogged down with obvious filler.

To look at Night Castle, and see that it has twenty six songs, is kind of intimidating. In a time when most albums have ten to fifteen songs on them, to try and pull through this album may seem like it would be a challenge. Although, if you can sit through the weak intro. You may just find a couple diamonds among the coals.

Starting your album off with two blatant fillers, is never a good thing. But that’s the route taken by Night Castle, opening with the gag worthy 'Night Enchanted'. Then, they top it off by following it with the largely unsatisfying and boring 'Childhood Dreams'. Nothing interesting happens in these two songs and they should not be on the album.

Thankfully they pick up the slack and manage to pull through with 'Sparks' & 'The Mountain', these are both two solid rockers, that give the album a large dose of life, the Orchestra manages to keep up the ante with 'Mozart And Memories', an instrumental that opens with a, violin; then quickly shifts to pounding drums, and guitar riffs, this is probably the best song on the album.

Unfortunately, the worst part of the entire C-D is the vocals. The lyrics can be cringe worthy at times, and the vocalists voice feels out of place at best. Which ends up bringing down most songs, if they had an adequate singer than this would improve the album tenfold. This is most relevant on 'Another Way You Can Die', which would have been just as good as the excellent 'Toccata – Carpimus Noctem' had there been no singing at all. The vocals do eventually somewhat pick up towards the end of disk one, but by then you will have already written it off as just noise.

In conclusion; if you were to remove all of the filler tracks, take out all the painful vocals (or in that case replace the singer), shorten some overkilled tracks. Then you would have, if not the most cohesive collection of songs, a very average album.

Recommended Tracks

Creed Full CircleRed End of Silence
2.9
good
Nosferatwo (1.5)
Without the Christmas spirit, there's no magic to be found....

March 12th 2011

Booged is supposed to be bogged, I don't see an edit feature sooo...

Photon
March 12th 2011

i think you can go to your profile and click edit review, i am not sure though.

DoubtGin
March 12th 2011

my profile --> edit my reviews/albums

album looks terrible

pizzamachine

It's pretty bad.

March 12th 2011

Saw these guys live once lol. Almost fell asleep many times.

letsgofishing

This album is hilarious.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye

Voivod

nice review.

Their first two albums are great, as far as i can remember, as long as it's Christmas.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

Tyrael

20725 Comments

obviouse filler should be obvious filler.

Thanks Voivod, DoubtGin and Tyraelxy, and yeah its a pretty bad album

G3N3R1C

1945 Comments

I actually went to one of their concerts with my family a few months back.

They had this James Earl Jones-sounding guy narrating the whole concert. He was fucking annoying as hell.

letsgofishing
March 13th 2011

Oh My God, I went to that same tour. That had to be the worst poem ever made..has to be.

March 13th 2011

Lmao, I went to the same thing. It was unbearable. Can't deny that the musicians put on a great show, though. Liked the lights.

G3N3R1C

1945 Comments

I remember, in particular, he had a monologue that was well over 10+ minutes long. I'm thinking "WHEN WILL THIS END?!" and then when it finally ends, it goes right into this painfully long, cringe-worthy ballad. -_-

I mean, it wasn't all bad. Some of the louder instrumental songs were, at best, pretty enjoyable. But the low points of that show were just uuugghhhh...

March 13th 2011

The low points were simply UNbearable. I almost hit the deck.

March 16th 2011

i agree on that acorn, when it's bad, its reaaaaallly bad

darkwargreymon
July 2nd 2011

Good review, but it could be a little longer.