Boards of Canada
Twoism

by Kevin K USER (58 Reviews)
March 6th, 2011 | 51 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Charming and creepy intelligent dance music hiding shyly behind Boards' more popular albums.

Boards of Canada is a Scottish electronic/IDM duo consisting of Mike Sandison & Marcus Eoin, a group best recognized for their gorgeous 1998 album Music Has the Right to Children. The album took listeners to Boards of Canada's interesting mindscape, taking one to the kind of world that had a lot to say yet left much more to be explored by its visitors. Afterwards they released 2 other records, Geogaddi and The Campfire Headphase, the two of which cemented a holy trinity of Boards' most beloved albums. While the success of these 3 records made an umbrella of interest over the rest of their lesser-known albums (not to mention for other artists of the same genre), their back catalog doesn't seem to have gained much more prestige or prominence within Boards' discography, including their 1995 album Twoism. Well why the hell shouldn't it?

Twoism may not be as profound as their big 3 LPs, but what's here is certainly a treat for listeners of Boards of Canada and IDM music. Where Music Has the Right to Children was wistful and breezy, and Geogaddi was murky and hostile, Twoism feels like a little bit of both. The title track is a perfect example and representation of this album, as it feels very gentle and calm but also quite melancholic and scary. The later interlude "Melissa Juice" not only feels like a lighter Music track, but it's also surprisingly one of Boards of Canada's most catchy and soothing songs to date. There's even a track straight from that album, "Smokes Quantity", the only noticeable difference being a hidden minute-and-a-half tune at the end. With a more coarse percussion, "Basefree" is a bit edgier, similar to Geogaddi's "Gyroscope". Also worth mentioning is "Oirectine" and "Seeya Later", two tracks that have an airy, resonant gleam that give Twoism some of its own unique feel.

Boards of Canada don't sing in their music, and usually sample a child or woman's voice. This time around, there are no samples to speak of either, making Twoism slightly bare compared to some of their other albums. Since Boards of Canada promote interpretive analysis in their music, this can be good as it opens up some of the imaginative prospect. Otherwise, as in traditional Boards of Canada fashion, the album has an eerie, thought-provoking sound with a nostalgic tint, the kind of which that feels elusive and interpretive. One can expect gentle, if somber, chill-out songs that gleam a bit on top of its gloomy presentation. If you are a fan of Boards of Canada, Twoism is a great record that may not be too long but has a hard-hitting vibe that's definitely worth checking out.

Architecture in Tokyo Summer ParadiseYukari Fresh Yukari's Perfect!
Uio Loi Uio LoiLord Mantis Death Mask
Sundrugs Hidden ScenesJulianna Barwick The Magic Place
Jupro1 (4.5)

March 6th 2011

album is underrated a bit,
comments and criticism appreciated

Digging: Zodiac (VASE) - Zodiac

couldwinarabbit
March 6th 2011

you could turn out to be a pretty damn good reviewer. I agree with this. The whole album just seems "less" than their later stuff.

March 6th 2011

thank you, that means a lot.

and i agree, its obviously not the more "developed" Boards' sound, but its very good for what it is

March 6th 2011

Agreed with couldwinarabbit, you show great promise. I've yet to try this, but I've heard great things, so I'm looking forward to taking some time in the coming weeks to spin it in.

March 6th 2011

Are you going to review all of the BoC albums?

March 6th 2011

@Gyromania: thanks man! since you liked Music and Geogaddi, you should definitely check this out. it's nothing too stellar but i think you'll find enjoyment from this

@Reverend: I find myself reviewing by artists, so its possible. although some albums like Acid Memories are pretty much just songs heard on different albums

I need to get this and Campfire Headphase

March 6th 2011

they are both really good albums

March 6th 2011

Seeing as Geogaddi is on and off my favorite album ever, I feel bad that I have yet to listen to all of their stuff

lancebramsay

Good review dood - BoC are quite excellent. Pos'd

Yotimi
March 6th 2011

There's something missing on this album that makes it my least favorite of theirs. But still solid.

March 6th 2011

i agree with you Yotimi, i wouldn't say its my least favorite though

March 9th 2011

great review as always man! Album is good too.

keep it up!!

Digging: Low Roar - Low Roar

March 9th 2011

thanks scissor glad to hear it

March 9th 2011

I wonder which BoC album will be next....

March 9th 2011

I was interested in getting Boc Maxima. What do you think of that album scissor? is it worth it?

March 9th 2011

yeah,it definitely is man. Boc Maxima has the ultimate Everything you do is a balloon

I wanted to review it too once upon a time but I thought that it isn't that necessary cause it has many songs featured also in MHtRtC.

it's up to you man!!!

March 9th 2011

oh i wasn't going to steal your review man, lol i was just wondering if the album is worth getting because I know some of BOC's back catalog overflows with re-released material.

i think you could definitely review it if you haven't reviewed MHtRtC

March 9th 2011

haha! no man, i just said that it's up to you whether to review it or not for the fact that it has re-released material

I wanted to do it in the past, now I'm busy with all the Brian Eno stuff and some new releases! Go on and do it. I'll be the first to read it.

March 9th 2011

I'll see if I can write one once I get the album, and I'll be looking out for those Eno reviews man :]