Elliott Smith
Elliott Smith

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
March 2nd, 2011 | 658 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: oh we're so, very precious you and I

Talking about myself is difficult. Especially when meeting new people. First days of class and icebreaker games are the bane of my school year. Tongues twist and premeditated answers disappear, inevitably. I get the sense that Elliott feels the same way, if not exponentially more so. Odd, considering his expertise as an artist is centered around divulging the most personal inners of his existence. It’s fitting that his second record is his self-titled... it is the absolute peak of his self-exhibitionism, after all. Still, the incessant, morose mood of Elliott Smith indicates that Elliott does not enjoy this tell-all technique; he’s uncomfortable, wary, as if every syllable he parts with is another drop of blood bleeding from his already-weak frame. You know why he’s enervated, though. Devastating imagery of drugs, lost love, and the type of foreboding cynicism that accompanies a man diving to his demise are ingrained into every spidery, shivering line Elliott delivers. Despite relatively simple techniques, his self-titled record is a nosedive into his dark abyss, the single most evocative piece of music I’ve ever encountered. The harmless mellifluousness and Beach Boys-esque tunes belie the true seriousness of the record, which proves itself to be a slinking, isolatory and almost disturbingly personal encounter with the deceased artist.

Don’t be mistaken by his soft demeanor. Elliott Smith is mellow yet lyrically heartbreaking. The beauty in the harmonies of “Single File” and “Coming Up Roses” are offset by the heroin-infused scrawls of his writing. Raw and visceral, the streaky guitar sliding of “Clementine,” for instance, matches his cold demeanor as he turns a carefree ditty into a lovelorn number. And the distinct mix of candidness and sorrow that runs through his soft whispers are what separate Elliott (alongside his more tuneful harmonies) from obvious influences Nick Drake and Jeff Buckley. This much is true, and the record is often cited as the epitome of melancholy, but more than a few times I sense something else-- an overbearing sense of anger. It’s accentuated by the profanity, not a usual device in the singer-songwriter’s arsenal. The emphasis that Elliott adds by wielding four-letter words in many of Elliott Smith’s tracks results in the most intense moments, though, see: “St. Ide’s Heaven” (Because everyone is a fucking pro), “Christian Brothers” (No bad dream fucker’s gonna boss me around), and “Single File” (Here in line where stupid shit collides). Be it in the profanity or Elliott’s strains with love and drugs, there’s a tragic hopelessness to Elliott’s words amidst the hollowed-out guitar chords, like he’s one the verge of his end with no rescue in sight.

Again, it’s hard for me to believe this is a record Elliott enjoyed writing, much less releasing to the public for their scornful ears to criticize it. He did though, I think he had to. His self-titled record, besides existing as the most skillful display of songwriting unleashed during the decade, is an evocative diary of Elliott’s pain and anguish, a tiny glimpse of light into his dark cavern of suffering that was his life while addicted to heroin and despising life. The pain that flows like blood from Elliott’s second album is just the side-effect of the demons he seems to be so desperately trying to exorcise throughout the piece. As personal and self-centered his self-titled record is, there’s no doubt in my mind that Elliott is the blurry figure on the cover. He’s leaped off the building, and Elliott Smith is the tragic, personal narrative that Elliott tells on the way down.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP
4.3
Mike Allen (5)
Now I'm a crashed credit card registered to Smith - Not the name that you called me with....

Thomas Bambaataa Ghidrah Towers (5)

Tapeworm (5)

20834 Comments

I promised myself I'd do this a while ago when I saw the default was a track-by-track haha, but never worked up the courage to actually do so 'til months later, tonight.

I really I hope I do this half just half the justice it deserves... it's really hard for me to put into words how strongly I feel about this album and I actually sorta hope the review reflects that, rather than seeming it sounds like I have it all figured out, if that makes sense.

robertsona

haha neg off the bat

will read

robertsona
March 2nd 2011

"No bad dream fucker’s gonna boss me around"

needs a

also, to have uncensored swears (e.g. "shit"), put size=2 [/size] tags in between one of the letters

20834 Comments

yeah thanks, you must have read before I just editted, ugh I hate coding

acorncheese
March 2nd 2011

Not quite my favorite of his, but still one of my all time favorites. Great review.

Ire

y negz?

sea is cool

doesn't deserve negs.

Xenophanes
March 2nd 2011

Nice write up. I've only had a passing interest in Smith, but perhaps you've inspired me to try harder.

Ire

gay users = negs

cool users = no negs

crazyblinddude
March 2nd 2011

Nice review Eric. I think I remember you saying you weren't going to write one for this album. But that was a long time ago anyways, if I recall. Doesn't really matter though. Pos.

thanks Ire

I hate neggers

Xenophanes
March 2nd 2011

negs don't really mean shit

BloodSweatandBeers
March 2nd 2011

I have yet to check out more of his stuff, listened to Either/Or, it was pretty good.

musicConsumer

I snigger at neggers

couldwinarabbit
March 2nd 2011

It was me. Review is how I would have written it, only with better writting. St Ides Heaven is one of my favourite/ least favourite songs ever.

klap
March 2nd 2011

so i was watching harry potter the other day and my girlfriend was like 'severus snape has always reminded me of elliott smith.' and she's totally right! i was shocked i hadn't made this connection previously

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

20834 Comments

well there goes rudy... making me want to rewrite my review by popping up with a totally awesome, better observation about elliott smith

acorncheese
March 2nd 2011

If there was ever going to be a movie about Elliott, Heath Ledger would have to play him.

Oh wait.

But seriously.

klap
March 2nd 2011

like compare a picture of severus snape with elliott smith and it's almost uncanny.

also good review

March 2nd 2011

This is an album worth owning, then again every time I get a decent case of CD's going I lose it.

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss

theacademy
March 2nd 2011

can't believe you hadn't reviewed this a long time ago