Nine Inch Nails
The Downward Spiral

by Defeater USER (5 Reviews)
March 2nd, 2011 | 78 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A generational shift

Apocalypse has been explored since the beginning of time. Apocalypse on a personal level is not liked or talked about nearly as much. The Downward Spiral fully realizes the role the individual plays in their downfall, instead of blaming outside forces. And this distinction clearly defines the difference between the current generation and those who were just entering adulthood around the time this album came out. We’re continually losing the ability to find a source of personal accountability. Other people may make choices which you view as unfair or threatening, but it’s your decision to do with them what you’d like. That is what The Downward Spiral is: a lesson in narcissism, personal accountability, and value of choices. Today the theme is known; the accountability is not.

The majority of the album is incredibly abrasive, with songs lashing out at concepts from broken relationships, God, and violence. It’s very drum and bass focused with various levels of distortion used for the guitar passages to create an effective electronic layering; samples from babies crying to people screaming to bees buzzing display a dire atmosphere as the main character meets face to face with his living hell. There are a few slower moments in the middle of the chaos which fail to change the mood because of their search for depression instead of peace. The protagonist is the man witnessing the unraveling of his life as the antagonist (the decisions, thoughts, and actions taken by the main character) completely destroys the life he once knew one step at a time. There’s no one else to blame but himself. As the character realizes this, he takes his own life and finally discovers the nothingness which was trying to consume him all along. The final realization is met: No matter how we live our lives, they all end the same way.

4.4

March 2nd 2011

And that's how it's done Francis.

eternium
March 2nd 2011

Short and simple, doesn't cover all of the bases but definitely gets the point of the album across.

pos

Wizard

19407 Comments

Broken is better.

Digging: Khonsu - Traveller

March 2nd 2011

Broken is probably my second favorite.

WashboardSuds

good review man, pos'd.
I don't have this album, but the songs I've heard from it are pretty good.

March 2nd 2011

why is this album getting so much attention all of a sudden

Digging: Yellowcard - Lift a Sail

ShadowRemains

20742 Comments

why not

Digging: Banks - Goddess

March 2nd 2011

not that i have a problem with it. listening to it now actually

somberlain
March 2nd 2011

so is this a companion to the 'defeated' list?

good review though

BloodSweatandBeers
March 2nd 2011

"The ruiner's a collector he's an infector serving his shit to his flies
Maybe there will come a day when those that you keep blind will suddenly realize"

March 2nd 2011

so is this a companion to the 'defeated' list?

good review though

I hope not. There's probably more truth to that than I know though.

Satellite

20816 Comments

i really dig this review. as far as i'm concerned, there's no need for a review to be much longer than this (and it sure as hell better justify being long super long if it is).

also, instead of picking apart every minor detail, you dealt with a singular theme. i like that. i'm much more interested when a review tries to explain the IDEA of an album rather than treating the review as a fucking consumer guide.

tl;dr good job and review more

all right, thanks man.

And I do have to review more.

Xenophanes

Holy shit Defeater, great job

Digging: Grouper - Ruins

Thanks.

crazyblinddude
March 2nd 2011

Nice write-up man. I'm glad more people have been checking this album out recently.

Blindsided

Abso-fucking-lutely.

Ovrot
March 2nd 2011

I want to fuck you like an animal.

March 2nd 2011

well I'm glad this is going over well

I didn't know if people were going to hate on it because of the length or not

Pizza
March 2nd 2011

Great review, it's short but it describes the album very well. I haven't listened to this in forever but i'll give it another spin soon