Finch (US)
Say Hello to Sunshine

by Blake Reno USER (3 Reviews)
March 2nd, 2011 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Taking a darker tone than What It Is To Burn, Finch improves in nearly every way.

In 2005, Finch released what was to be their last album before going on indefinite hiatus. Fortunately, that hiatus ended. Unfortunately the band then broke up again, permanently. Say Hello To Sunshine is now Finch’s last standing full-length testament to music.

This is the first ever rock album I bought. After I bought this album, it was all I listened to for several weeks of my life. If you were to ask me what alternative rock should sound like, I would whip out my iPod, shove my earbuds in your ears and play this album for you. This is not whiny emo garbage, this is real, inspired, and thought out music. This album has all sorts of meaning to me and it still stands its own amongst my love of mostly metal music.

Completely deviating from the pop-punk of their first album, What It is to Burn, Finch writes some of the darkest alternate rock I've ever heard. These lyrics are simply amazing, I actually memorized every lyric on the album during the time when this album was all I listened to, and I'm pretty sure I can still recite a good amount of them now. Finch also kicks up their instrumentation a ton. Moving on from the chug-a, chug-a, chug-a simple chord rhythms of What It is to Burn, the guitarists now play some interesting and quirky melodies that match up with vocalist Nate Barcalow's new-found screaming and rough, gritty singing. In addition, Marc Allen steps up his drumming with fills matching the skills I'd expect from a metal drummer (listen to “Dreams of Psilocybin”).

Finch truly evolves in every single way a band can without changing their genre entirely. These songs are dark, very dark, but that just makes them all the more better than today's awful, uninspired "emo" music. If you listen to any song on this album, I absolutely dare you to argue why the song is bad. Sure, Finch's guitarists aren't the most talented guitarists, but they have great drumming and great singing and some of the best songwriting I have ever seen from an alternate rock band.

This is the album that opened music up for me, and all of my other favorite bands should be grateful for Finch, because without Finch, I probably would have never found interest in music in the first place.

March 2nd 2011

First review, constructive criticism welcome.

theacademy

Miro

Digging: Charli XCX - Sucker

March 2nd 2011

just at a glance you might want to separate those paragraphs

Digging: Low Roar - 0

March 2nd 2011

I realized that after posting, done now.

cb123

2059 Comments

awesome album

chesse13

i miss this band

chesse13
March 2nd 2011

oh, and the casket of roderic usher

blindsided21
March 2nd 2011

Album is incredibly underrated.

Ire
March 3rd 2011

pretty okay review for a first

i'd replace the first two paragraphs with something else

BringMeABrick
March 3rd 2011

Pretty good review, but I don't know... might wanna go a bit more in depth. Like, what exactly about the album makes it mean so much to you, besides the actual band's progression as musicians. It destroys my first review, though. lol

pos'd

March 3rd 2011

Thanks a lot, Brick. Though I highly doubt it "destroys" it. Also, thanks for the tips. I realize this isn't the best review ever, but I had to start somewhere.

And Ire, I'm not going to make huge changes to this review, but I will keep that mind writing future reviews. Thank you.

Adabelle

Amazing album, nice review (:

Emim

Such a good album

solidness
March 3rd 2011

Good review, could be longer. But you're a first timer so it's cool.

My favorite off this one is Reduced to Teeth