Scale the Summit
The Collective

by Eli EMERITUS
March 1st, 2011 | 100 replies | 25,796 views

Review Summary: Scale the Summit continue carving out their niche in the instrumental metal world, creating an album bursting with creativity and poise.

You’ve got to hand it to the guys behind Scale the Summit. For a few years now, they’ve been ahead of their instrumental metal brethren, ameliorating the tried and true formula and creating some of the most intriguing and tasteful music in the genre. Add The Collective to their already impressive resume, for Scale the Summit once again impress, this time with the best material of their careers.

The Collective plays a lot like its 2009 predecessor, Carving Desert Canyons--well, almost to a tee actually. Relying on the same basic song structures and same bag of tricks, not much has changed on The Collective. However, more so than ever, Scale the Summit seem intimate, with the music and technical wankery actually feeling more purposeful than ever. Sure arpeggios are doled out in spades, but everything feels so much more necessary. Where Carving Desert Canyons was the band’s frenzied exploration into tech-metal, this album feels like a thoughtful dissertation, and one which ultimately displays their talents far better than anything else before it.

As before, Scale the Summit play a streamlined style of instrumental metal. Not to be confused with post-metal, The Collective zips along without stopping for any frivolous builds or climaxes. It’s in the same vein as their previous two releases, but with more emphasis on subtleties. Songs like “Black Hills” and “The Levitated” ebb and flow beautiful, slowing down the pace and taking the intensity way down. It’s effective, and does quite a bit to break up the monotony that was found on their Monument. Yet don’t mistake this for Scale the Summit going soft. Lush, sporadic, and heavy tracks like “Colossal” and “Whales” still permeate, and offer some of the most impressive pieces and the entire record. The quartet haven’t lost the ability to astound, with the guitar virtuosos featuring some of their best material here. A lot of this can be attributed to the phenomenal production as well, with every instrument audible, and everything meshing perfectly.

The Collective is the band’s longest album by far, clocking in at about fifty-two minutes. The curt, digestible nature of Scale the Summit has always been a draw, as trimming the fat has made everything they’ve done feel much more filling and relevant. Their third release suffers a bit because of it, with the album feeling bloated and overlong. However, it‘s tough to really see this as a deal breaker, because literally every track is worth a listen. Scale the Summit have really hit one out of the park with The Collective; an album that by all rights should make them a household name.

Saintseneca Dark ArcHave a Nice Life The Unnatural World
Thee Silver Mount Zion Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on EverythingFell Voices Regnum Saturni
Hammock Oblivion HymnsMount Eerie Pre-Human Ideas
Tyler Cross (5)
Instrumental metal at its finest...

Thompson D. Gerhart STAFF (5)
Where's the conductor? There's got to be a conductor for this type of thing....

SatelliteYears (4.5)
An instrumental epic....

Xenophanes

Album's coooool.

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

kingjulian
March 1st 2011

Pos'd. I love how you describe the tastefulness of their technicality as "necessary." The Best Buy by my work better have this today cuz I'm going out to pick it up.

jrowa001

gonna see them next wednesday with Periphery, Caslantic, and Fair To Midland

March 1st 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by this album. I knew it would be good, but not THIS good.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

pizzamachine
March 1st 2011

Good review like usual! For some reason I've never listened to these guys.

Tyrael

20740 Comments

Xeno, if you'd bundle all your reviews together into a book would probably be my favourite book ever. Next to the Satanic bible of course.

mmfarva
March 1st 2011

I have it, yet to listen.

theacademy
March 1st 2011

i quite liked this album

Aids

good review Xeno, I'll give this a try

Blaizend

I liked this.

kingjulian
March 1st 2011

Stupid Best Buy doesn't have this yet. FOILED!!!

marksellsuswallets

Eh.

NeutralThunder12
March 1st 2011

I really like this. It's weird however, because even though I feel like this is their best album, I think that "Carving" was more memorable. But there are a few songs on this that are just......wow. Black Hills and Gallows are epic

Acanthus
March 1st 2011

Never heard of these guys before, but the review was quite good!

Pos'd

Digging: The Cure - The Head on the Door

iFghtffyrdmns

"ebb and flow beautiful"
think you wanted "beautifully"

Other than that, another fantastic review. Nicely done Xeno

renegadestrings
March 1st 2011

"Songs like “Black Hills” and “The Levitated” ebb and flow beautiful,"
change to 'beautifully'

good review. thinkin about picking this up

Comatorium.
March 1st 2011

album is fucking flawless. great review xeno, have a pos. whales is just... wow.

Lucid
March 1st 2011

I bet this is as mediocre as CDC. Skip.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty