Beau Navire
Life Moves

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
February 27th, 2011 | 88 replies

Review Summary: And the pattern of Loma Prieta offshoots being decidedly more awesome than Loma Prieta continues...

There’s been a definite disconnect lately between me and punk music-- well, to be fair, music in general. Still, it’s bands like the newly-formed Beau Navire that are making it nigh impossible to remain apathetic towards the sudden influx of new punk/hardcore/emo related music. Maybe it’s because the snow’s begun to melt and all that pent-up energy that was hibernating in the winter needs an outlet, or maybe it’s because I simply haven’t been paying too much attention to the scene, but hopefully names like Ghost Dance, Jowls, Hot Dudes, and in this case, Beau Navire are names you’ll hear more and more in the coming weeks as this batch of emo/screamo bands begins to pick up speed as the temperature begins to heighten (and inevitably dip again for those chilly spring days we all despise). Then again, I doubt weather was much of a factor in the decision-making of Beau Navire. They hail from the incessantly sunny San Francisco, after all. Consisting of members of Loma Prieta and I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism In Your Yearbook, most will have high expectations for Life Moves going in. I hesitate to call the conjoining of the highly-regarded emo groups a “supergroup” per se, simply because the practice of mish-mashing and blending groups together in the scene is an incredibly prevalent practice. Nevertheless, their first output, Life Moves, is super-- the mix of already-similar sounds and ideas coagulates into an impressive jump-start of an album.

Admittedly, neither of the aforementioned bands have been too high on my list of must-hear emo bands, Beau Navire manages to smooth the edges of Loma Prieta and repair chinks in the armor. Nobody could have accused Loma Prieta of lacking energy, it was their deficit of control which I found off-putting. What could have been lightning-like riffs sort of drifted off towards obscurity because there was no congealing factor in the mix. Beau Navire changes up the formula by never losing track of themselves and retaining command over the situation. Passionate and frantic as it may be, Life Moves is still realistic in its scope. Catchy, distinctive riffs are present in nearly every song, “Technicolor, Technicolor” and astounding closer “Fitting Pieces” being the most outstanding of which. In this process, the San Franciscans create a balance on Life Moves that every hardcore band should take note of. The maturity of the album shines through in the consistency, but mostly in its precision. Beau Navire’s ability to propel the EP (LP?) forward while always being conscious of where they’re driving it is the most exceptional aspect.

Maybe I’m overanalyzing, though. In more simplistic terms, Life Moves is a brief collection of songs that doesn’t quite floor with fervency, but in doing so remains focused and digestible, catchy even. If you’ve heard I Wrote Songs About Cannibalism In Your Yearbook or Loma Prieta before, you’re already familiar with the roaring, shrill, screaming techniques used, and Life Moves is no exception with its stretched, desperate vocals, often overplayed by cymbal crashes like on album highlight, the impressively-barren “Whispers.” Short as it may be, Life Moves is affecting in its entirety. It’s a somewhat monotonous release, with peak after peak rather than hills and valleys, but most will find this only adds to the consistency. Either way, the formation of Beau Navire is a move you’d be better off for not ignoring. It’s one whose ear-singing screams woke me up from my musical hibernation as of late; and oddly enough, a more suitable wake-up would have been difficult to find.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP

20322 Comments

Got 100% on all my midterms last week so I'm more or less taking the next week off of school and getting pumped about Spring Break / getting back into the swing of reviewing because there's lots of stuff that needs reviewed/attention hope that's cool guys.

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II

Tyrael

20879 Comments

Cool review Sea.

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

February 27th 2011

Nice review, would check out immediately but need to hit up Dennys now before going to an 8 hour shift.

Digging: She Past Away - Belirdi Gece

20322 Comments

Thanks guys... didn't spend long on it so anyone feel free to point out mistakes / things I say that are dumb

also I should mention this is less than 15 min. long, an easy listen

Aids
February 27th 2011

I'm still sorting through your last batch of emo recs Sea, but I'm adding this to the list. great review.

Tyrael

20879 Comments

feel free to point out mistakes / things I say that are dumb

Couldn't find any

20322 Comments

also, I'm pretty sure this now has the coolest cover of the year, can I get an Amen?

Aids
February 27th 2011

that is a pretty bitchin cover

Amen

Xenophanes
February 27th 2011

Thought it said "Dance Gavin Dance," instead of "Ghost Dance."

Was going to give you shit if that were the case.

Digging: Grouper - Ruins

20322 Comments

and shit would have been deserved

Irving
February 27th 2011

Although this review was impressive (pos), I find myself more awed by the fact that you got 100% on all of your midterms.

Digging: U2 - Songs of Innocence

20322 Comments

haha I didn't... I'm exaggerating... it's more of a "phew I'm so glad I did relatively well on them and they're done with"

February 27th 2011

Never was able to get into LP for the little that I tried.

So I will look into this.

Athom
February 27th 2011

Loma Prieta's Last City is one of my favorite screamo albums. getting this ASAP.

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

February 27th 2011

Fans of stuff like this will like this:

Hep Kat
February 27th 2011

yeah this is really sick

20322 Comments

fuck yessss Tigersuit song is perfect

Ponton
February 27th 2011

Review is awesome eric. Haven't read one of yourss in a while

Irving
February 27th 2011

YOU LIE TO IRVING NEG NEG NEG.