Armistice
Armistice

by SowingSeason STAFF
February 26th, 2011 | 84 replies

Review Summary: Do you believe in love at first listen? Or will you have to give Armistice another spin?

It really is just a matter of time. A sound this fresh, this inviting, and this heartwarming doesn’t come by every day. When it does, it is usually quick to find its niche on one’s rotation. For me, Armistice was love at first listen, and its niche is “repeat” on my ipod. At just five songs spanning a mere sixteen minutes, the debut EP by this gifted pair of indie musicians is easily digestible, and it is bursting at the seams with reggae, mariachi, and flamenco influences that give the album a tropical atmosphere. There is not one moment that lacks intrigue, catchiness, and exotic imagery; and all of the songs are connected with the flow and grace of a soundtrack to a classic film. Lush and confident, Armistice will sweep over you like a salty beach breeze, evoking a love-drenched feeling akin to watching the sun set with a beautiful woman by your side. In the meanwhile, the ice in your fruity cocktail begins to melt and slowly trickle from the lime wedge down the side of the glass, creating a dark ring in the sand below. Let Armistice transport you to this destination – a place where warmth is everywhere, from your sun-stained cheeks to the love swelling deep within your heart.

The liberating sound of ‘Mission Bells’ surges with a mariachi background and heavy strings that open the curtain to an experience completely free of restraint. It is this carefree sensation that manages to permeate Armistice despite its disheartening tale of lovers caught in the iron grip of war. Almost as if to symbolize love’s conquest over the evils of mankind, the combination of gorgeous instrumentals and stunning duets between Beatrice Martin and Jay Malinowski are an absolute triumph; one that continues to pervade the record long after the opening track has expired. Throughout all of the songs, Martin and Malinowski’s vocal harmonies are what bring Armistice down to earth, with a strong sense of humanity keeping the grandiose nature of the music from losing its relatable qualities. The unique lyrical dialogue also gives songs like ‘City Lights Cry’ an endearing sense of personality. Without the uplifting musical backdrop and the accompanying trade-offs between both singers, Armistice would lose a good portion of what makes it such an accessible EP.

Fortunately, the young indie rockers of Armistice know just where their strengths lie, and they play to them for the EP’s entire duration. ‘Neon Love’ just might be the best song here technically, with flawless integration of both vocalists and a tangible sense of chemistry not only between Martin and Malinowski, but between them and their music. Their ability to envelop themselves within the sound of Armistice results in the delivery of the EP’s best harmony, and easily its most memorable chorus. ‘Jeb Rand’ plays the important role of bridging the first and second half of the album, and it does so seamlessly – the desperation can be felt in their voices, and the ominous guitar strumming suggests a bleak horizon for the pair of lovers in the story. All encompassed within a brief 2:37 span, Armistice accomplish the most with the least on this haunting tune. ‘God Will Get His Man’ sums things up rather nicely, putting out a 1950’s mystery movie vibe – one in which you can almost imagine a cigar-smoking, top-hat-sporting gentleman prowling the downtown streets of a black and white city (and the title/lyrics also work in its favor). More than anything else, though, the song effectively closes out Armistice, tying together the sprawling, free-flowing tropical vibes and Mexican influences with something more smug sounding – thus allowing the EP to leave us with a confident strut instead of a “its just kind of going to end” feel.

Armistice is an essential indie pick-up. A pleasant surprise has been bestowed upon us with this EP and, more importantly, with this band. Martin and Malinowski have Armistice pointed in an extremely promising direction, and to think that this album could soon be overshadowed by even greater things makes my head spin. Even as it stands now, Armistice is a remarkable accomplishment that could easily end the year as the number one extended play. It is a great many things that I can’t even begin to describe – not due to the complexity of the arrangements or the profoundness of the music’s impact on my emotions – but because I am not a skilled enough writer. Armistice has reminded me why I listen to music, and I am in love.

Damien Rice My Favourite Faded FantasyTaylor Swift 1989
Zella Day Zella DayAndrew McMahon in the Wilderness Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
Titus Andronicus The MonitorTigers on Trains Antarctica In Color
Blair Chopin (4.5)
Peace of mind is not hard to find...

Irving Tan STAFF (4.5)
In time you'll learn there's us and them....

February 26th 2011

I know this was already reviewed with a stream, but for those who missed it, here it is again:

I give Irving a ton of credit for finding this, it is an amazing EP and I highly recommend making the purchase.

Digging: Low Roar - 0

letsgofishing
February 26th 2011

Checking this out as we speak..

Ace Review.

Whoah

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry

February 27th 2011

Great review. I agree with everything, minus one point of hyperbole

Thanks Fishing, Xeno.

I don't know why but somehow this album sounds even better after watching Dirty Dancing.

Er, I wouldn't know....

pizzamachine
February 27th 2011

Good idea Sowing, this album deserves to be heard.

somberlain
February 27th 2011

damn Sowing, fanboy much?

this is great stuff, I just love 'City Lights Cry'
pos'd

THIS.

Ace review SS. This was the block of text I've been waiting for someone to write all this while. Very descriptive + well-detailed = amazing. This EP deserves all the plaudits its been getting, and much more. I just wish it was longer, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for a full LP sometime soon.

Do check out the sixteen minute stream guys! If a Sowing rubber-stamp doesn't convince you, then I don't know what will.

Thanks Irving I'm really glad you rec'd this to me and reviewed it

I seriously haven't been able to stop listening to it

Thanks Irving I'm really glad you rec'd this to me and reviewed it

As am I =)

*holds hands with SS*

EP's magic, that's what it is. It makes me feel sorry about having to listen to Disney instead for my 40th review. Damn it all!

February 27th 2011

damn Sowing, fanboy much?

What gave it away? Was it when I literally said I was in love with this? ; )

Tyrael

20974 Comments

Fantastic review Sowing. I was expecting nothing less.

Knott-

this is

nice

AliW1993
February 27th 2011

I'll give this a listen.

Voivod
February 27th 2011

good material for a future Quentin Tarantino movie soundtrack in the vein of Pulp fiction or Death Proof.

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

AlexTM510
February 27th 2011

Nice review, and yea i'm digging this. I can't help but think the 5 is a bit overrated....but then again this music isn't precisely the niche i listen to. So maybe this will grow.

nice review anyway

February 27th 2011

WE COULD RING OUT LIKE MISSION BELLS!!

Sowing/guys - look:

I didn't know this version of "Jeb Rand" was a Bedouin Soundclash cover. That being said, I like the Armistice version much, much better.

Tyrael

20974 Comments

Derp
It's no Marina that's for sure.