Green Day
Shenanigans

by goblue1098 USER (6 Reviews)
November 6th, 2005 | 14 replies | 17,606 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Are you a Green Day fan? Have you heard every album from 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours to the B-sides of American Idiot? Or, are you just a Green Day fan looking for a good listen? Either way, Shenanigans is for you. Shenanigans combines various B-sides and covers. Some sound like they could fit right into 1994’s Dookie, and some make you wonder why they would even put it on any album, even a B-side, and 1 all new song. Well – onto the review

Shenanigans starts off with Suffocate, which sets the album off on a good note. A cool bassline/drum combo starts the song off early, with Billy Joe soon joining singing slipped into a coma once again/Where’s my organ donor/Lend me a hand. A great sounding chours pops in, with a few quick drum rolls thrown in. The song gets a little repetitive by the end, but its overall well done and worth a second listen. 3.5/5

The Next song, Desensitized, starts off with a faint bell and then a screaming man. Right. If you stuck around to listen to the rest of the song, you get to listen to another Green Day masterpiece, its quick starting and stopping grabs you, complemented with oddly satisfying lyrics - So go ahead and kill yourselves/It all amuses me /For I'll be damned to spend my life in hell/Another wise ingrate/Bring me blood and pain. Anyway, the screams of “I wanna get ripped off" and the simple, but great sounding guitar chords make this song one of the highlights of the album. 4.5/5

Okay, You Lied. You know, I’d like to say something nice about this song, but I just can’t bring myself to do that. It just sucks. The tempo of this song is crap, I mean its either nice and quick, or a slow ballad. It can’t really decide where its going, and its lyrics are meaningless. Well the one semi-highlight is the kinda cool drumming, but it isn’t even that good in this song. The guitar solo tries to salvage this ship wreck, but nothing really can. In short, DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS SONG. Just press the skip button. 1/5

Outsider. Ahh, a great cover of a classic Ramones piece. Of all the covers they have done, this is by far my favorite. They lyrics aren’t as impressive coming from Green Day, but they pull it off pretty well. The chorus cries of “Why does everybody have to push me, push me around!?" come across great. However, to get the full expierence, you should listen to them back to back, I would highly recommend that. Overall, it’s a fantastic cover song, and definitely ipod worthy. 4/5

Don’t Want to Fall in Love is a quirky, almost county sounding piece that they probably wrote after ten red bulls. It sounds like a chipmunk on caffeine and the lyrics are incredibly cliché. This is only appropriate for listening after chugging immense amounts of caffinated beverages. Otherwise, it’s not noteworthy. 2.5/5

The song Espionage was recorded for the second Austin Powers movie, and it fits right in with this funky beat any British super spy would shag to. Its purely instrumental, but that’s no problem. I like to put this on my ipod while I sneak around the neighborhood spying on unsuspecting kids. Ahh, good times. Anyways, it’s a good listen for those covert-ops missions. 3.5/5

A Quick but powerful riff starts out I Want to Be On TV, but after that, most of it is unintelligible sounding lyrics and the constant screaming of “I want to be on TV" clocking in at just 1 minute 16 seconds, its not long enough for me to consider it something substantial. Anyway, a cool drum piece at the end sounds great. Otherwise, pretty much a filler track. 3/5

Scumbag is a song that really defines this as a B-sides album. Scumbag has just average lyrics, an average bassline, and average guitar riffs. Even tre cool, usually with great drum beats, seems lethargic in this song. Definitely NOT one of the highlights. 2/5

Tired of Waiting for You is a cover of a 60’s hit by the kinks. I had never listened to the kinks before this, so I was interested to hear how both of the songs sounded. I started off with the kinks’ version, which is pretty much a ballad. Plus, they’re British, and I mean, that means they’ve gotta be good, right. Green Day’s version is still real soft track, bordering on ballad, but staying right above that line. Tre’s drumming stands out with great rolls throughout the song, unlike on the previous track. Overall, it’s an above average cover that’s a relief after hearing the horrid sucmbag. 4/5

In Sick of Me, Billy Joe’s singing opens it up, sounding more nasaly and more annoying than ever. This is just another example of the Green Day formula, working out for some tracks, but horrible failing in ones like this. The song is pretty much all whining with a few bad guitar riffs and filler bass and drums. It’s a skipper. 2/5

Rotting is yet another song full of crap that Green Day piled into this CD. The eerie guitar doesn’t work here at all, and therefore the song is forced to an extremely boring tone. Billy’s singing is horribly monotonous, but the lyrics are pretty good, and work well with this unfortunate failure of a song - I'm rotting inside/My flesh turns to dust/Whisper, “are you dying?" in my ear/I'm so sick to death/Tumors in my head. Bad song, so it deserves a bad rating – 2/5

Do Da Da was originally to be called ‘Stuck with me’ but the title got switched around with the song Stuck with me off insomniac. Anyway, Do Da Da shows off some of Green Day’s great punk stuff. The second half of Shenanigans had been a disappointment for me, but this revives the California punk spirit. Great song, though its too short. 4/5

Ugh, another bad, filler track. On the Wagon is impressive in no way, shape or form. Thoroughly a country track, this is an area where no respectable punk band should go. I spit on this lame excuse for a song. Its just bad all around.

Ha Ha Your Dead. The title says it all. This is the one all new song, written exclusively for Shenanigans. Great, demented lyrics, this time complement of bassist Mike Drint - Ha Ha you're dead/And I'm so happy/In loving memory/Of your demise. Great bassline throughout the song, and the chorus screams of HA HA YOUR DEAD! Make this song a great foul weather listen. Cool solo at the end caps of the end of Shenanigans. The best song on the album by far. 5/5

Well, that’s my 2 cents on shenanigans. As long as you avoid the filler songs and you lied, you’ll be just fine. This is the only Green Day album that is not completely necessary to own, but you should pick it up for the great covers and for ha ha your dead. Overall, shenanigans gets a 2.5/5

please rate and comment