Nicolas Jaar
Space Is Only Noise

by Beram C. Lansay USER (21 Reviews)
February 17th, 2011 | 135 replies

Review Summary: Space Is Only Noise: A 2011 Odyssey.

Outer space, a vast black sea; the idea of it tantalizes the comfortable complacency in which we all reside. It is so massive that the physicists of our world can only speculate as to how large the universe actually is. Some believe it spans forever, an infinite amount of dust and darkness. Others say it is about 150 billion light years across. Even if this is the case, it would take light 150 billion years to traverse this grand emptiness.

The endless fields of space are home to an unimaginable mental dissonance. The mere idea that something can never end harbors terror in the eyes of most. How can something never end? Yet, we have a parallel plane existing alongside outer space: Our mind. Deep inside the fabric of our mind reside thoughts that are equally dark, equally cold, and equally distant. Nicolas Jaar brilliantly plays out the idea that the subconscious is not so different from the celestial constructs above.

“Space Is Only Noise” is a transmission from afar; shrouded by dark matter. Traces of human characteristics can be found all throughout the album. Tracks have a combination of vocal clips, in both English and French. The track “I Got a Woman” combines the vocals of Ray Charles with mellowed out keyboards, creating a sad yet muffled feel. On the track “Space Is Only Noise If You Can See”, a heavy synthesized beat bounces along with the emotionally void lyrics “grab a calculator and fix yourself”. Chopped up samples are abruptly scattered around the tracks, giving them an oddly-familiar feel. These cold, calculated sounds caress your emotions, playing with them, and ultimately they withdraw; leaving them devoid of touch and yearning for more.

Nicolas Jaar’s electronic noises evoke feelings that reach our core. The eerie atmosphere he creates resembles that of human heart. Upon further exploration we realize that this transmission of music is simply sound waves moving through space, a relic of his passionate imagination. It is traveling through a place that does not know the concept of time; a place that is forever. We cannot help but embrace the warmth it once held, allowing it to resonate within us. “Space Is Only Noise” echoes across the eternal territory of our mind, cradling our deepest and darkest desires. This music reveals just how alone we really are amongst the boundless limits of space.

Demon Queen Exorcise Tape (Esorcizzare Nastro)Macklemore and Ryan Lewis The Heist
Death Grips The Money StoreBryant Dope Queens Kids
Lute West1996(The) Slowest Runner (In All The World) We, Burning Giraffes
Justin Swope (4.5)
Space Is Only Noise is a modest and natural sounding album with a fantastic mixture of field recordi...

barnsgwj (4)
Do you like the idea of a David Lynch film in music form combined with a bit of Satre? Come here the...

Ryan Fitz (5)
A tour de force with few modern equals...

February 17th 2011

Come on Sputnik! Catch up with Pitchfork, they already have this album in "Best New Music".

Aside from that, 3rd review - Need moar critiques -_-'

Adash
February 17th 2011

Resident Advisor n Pitch are all over this, still nice to have a third opinion : p

This kind of semi abstract reviewing is my favourite style, pos

Piglet
February 17th 2011

good stuff young sir! I'd like to hear this.

Yotimi
February 17th 2011

Really good stuff right here

Digging: Sand Circles - Motor City

Ponton
February 17th 2011

Yeah this is great. Review is well written and a bit hyperbolic

February 17th 2011

album of the year so far

this or new tim hecker

February 17th 2011

Aww you folks are going to make me blush.

@observer is hyperbolic a good thing?

@doubtgin this

PuddlesPuddles

This is cool

^ Yup

relativeworld
February 17th 2011

Sounds like my kind of thing! getting it now!

letsgofishing
February 17th 2011

Hate to agree with pitchfork...

but damn this album is sweet. minimalist electronica has been top grade this year.

Zettel
February 17th 2011

Good review, beautiful album, great last paragraph.

p4k isn't all bad.

FourSquare20
February 17th 2011

This is a great review. Album is pretty cool.

Manic_
February 17th 2011

good review. album is awesome, i'm in love with the style of it.

Yotimi

Keep Me There is soty so far

^this so much

February 18th 2011

The entire album is just so damn awesome it's hard to choose a favorite track. Colomb, Too Many Kids Finding Rain in the Dust, Keep Me There, Space Is Only Noise If You Can See, Balance Her In Between Your Eyes are probably my top tracks off the album.

February 19th 2011

Thanks for the compliments everyone :D