Orakle
Tourments et perdition

by relativeworld USER (4 Reviews)
February 16th, 2011 | 23 replies | 5,008 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Otherworldly black metal. Here is where complexity and accessibility meet

Affectional and challenging are the two first words that come to mind after the first few listens. Soon after the first song starts the listener will feel that the band are not making the simple, complex for the sake of complexity and their sound is not another barrage of intricacy to show off unemotional technical skills.

Formed in 1994 by ACHERNAR (vocals, bass and synths) and Cledvh (drums) it took 11 years for the band to release their debut. In the next 3 years the members took their time developing their songwriting skills and reaching a higher level of maturity. Listening to their demo "NEATH THE RAPTURE STREAMS "(1999) ep "L'INEFFABLE EMOI... DE CE QUI EXISTE "(2002) and debut "UNI AUX CIMES" (2005) this would not be difficult to notice the improvements of the band which are visible from almost every angle when getting involved in the Tourments et Perdition’s (2008) musical world.

Orakle’s Black Metal has some typical characteristics of this genre but at the same time defy the conventions of it by its changeful nature. Album's sound is extremely multilayered, without anything being overdone; each instrument has its distinct sound or color. Polyphonic structure gives each electric guitar a completely intelligible and clear lineament which never falls into inarticulate disorderliness that is not rare when it comes to polyphonic compositions. Often changes in time-signatures, Audibleness of bass-lines, dreamy well-mixed synth works, regrettably rare virtuosic guitar solos and crisp and clean production are of highly noticeable aspects of this masterpiece.

First track is an introduction to what one can expect from the album; a flamboyant tour de force made of well-arranged dialogues of instruments and Arabian modal concepts which give the song the connotations of warm and mysterious landscapes that also in cover art to some degree is apparent. It clocks in at about 3 minutes and a half but sets the mentioned sensation for approximately 50-minute length of the album. This tonality surrounds the whole album and does not let the elaborateness of songs stray the audience from the right path. Components of the song range from dynamic riffs and heavy blast beats to slow-paced spiral guitar duets and atmospheric synth works, from fast-paced painfully aggressive shrieks, screams and snarls to melodic whispery clean singing or well-trained baritone choral-like accompaniment.

It is likely to regard French lyrics as an obstacle of accessibility if taken at face value but considering aesthetics of this language and its poetic overtones, it has simply the potential of being an advantage. In spite of all these in an interview, ACHERNAR mentions that Orakle could not be precise enough to put the right words on some feelings in English and their native language is much more accurate and trustable when it comes to describing inner feelings.

Orakle's black metal is labeled as Progressive black metal so obviously some generic similarities are undeniably probable, listening to Tourments et Perdition I found out that the band keeps deep in its roots a high level of originality.

In an interview with Silent Scream Webzine ACHERNAR replies a question about band's main influences this way : I understand the comparison because we share the same taste for long epic and evolving songs, with many arrangements and layers, but to paraphrase a famous question from the movie “Dark City”, “are we more than the simple sum of our memories”? My answer is “yes”: of course this musical background is inseparable from our minds, but we create personal music. One thing is certain about our music, we create music from what we are, from personal things we want to express.

February 16th 2011

There are a few grammatical mistakes in this, such as:

First track is an introductory to what one can expect from the whole album

"Introductory" should be "introduction". Other than a few of those word usage mistakes, this was a really well written review. I'm curious to know if english is your first language.

This sounds pretty cool though, i'll check it out. Pos'd

Digging: Monolake - Interstate

February 16th 2011

Orakle's sophomore effort is impossible to dislike. Unkown to most of Sputnikers, I felt responsible to introduce this band and their sound to the community which has informed me about a lot of bands and albums which before joining I was barely aware of.

February 16th 2011

Well, as you'll soon find out, if it exists, someone on sputnik will hate it, and most likely call you an idiot for disagreeing with them.

But who really cares, i'll check this out a bit later, it sounds really cool.

TheSpirit
February 16th 2011

Hmm, never heard this put sounds kinda interesting. Not a bad review either, just listen to Hyperion for the most part.

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

Hawks
February 16th 2011

Yeah this definitely sounds awesome.

February 16th 2011

Thanks for the correction Hyperion !
No. English is not my mother tongue! is it that evident ? Oh my !

I really hope more people check this out ! I ve listened to this more that 20 times and still has things to offer and keeps growing!

I think soon will bump my rate !

February 16th 2011

It actually wasn't that evident at all, you writing was really fluid in most places. It was just that the mistakes you made didn't seem like mistakes someone with english as their mother tongue would make.

It was still very good though, most of the writing was better than most native english speakers. I look forward to your next reviews :-)

Made my day pal !
Immensely encouraged !

sifFlammable
February 17th 2011

Reckon first paragraph needs some work mate.

Sounds cool overall but really not in the mood for symphonic so, I'll pass.

February 17th 2011

Me neither sitFlammable and to tell you the truth symphonic metal has never been my cup of tea, but the album is just different from whatever I heard before under the label of symphonic progressive metal. first time I listened to this, all my presupposed thoughts turned out to be wrong.

February 17th 2011

I deleted symphonic word from the review. A needed savoir-faire !

sifFlammable
February 17th 2011

The symphonic elements are definitely there - its just less obvious cos of the (pretty good) layers of riffs.

February 17th 2011

That's true but symphonic label is kind of generic for them.
You listened to this, ey? How do you like it? aren't you gonna rate it?
really curious to know what others think ?

Merde ! This band is criminally unknown here! didn't even have a page!
by the way lyrics can be found in their official website : http://orakle.free.fr

trying this now

it's great so far, vocals are fantastic

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

yeah this is great

February 17th 2011

Thanks for lending an ear ! and undoubtedly you re gonna find it more interesting later on !

read your review on Moonsorrow's Voimasta-Ja-Kunniasta, where to start with this band?

February 17th 2011

That depends. If you're more into grandiose and long epic folk black metal pieces, start with
Verisakeet and move onto V: Havitetty. If you're more for classic viking metal, Voimasta Ja Kunniasta.

February 17th 2011

hmmm! well thanks ! I ll give the first 2 a listen soon.

February 17th 2011

I recommend it. Thanks for reviewing this too, wouldn't have found it otherwise. It's a great album!

February 17th 2011

Happy you like it ! will let you know about my feelings after listening to Moonsorrow's stuff .