Black Dawn
Blood for Satan

good

by Hawks USER (71 Reviews)
February 16th, 2011 | 33 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Cliche black metal album. Nothing more, nothing less.

Blood for Satan. The name of the album itself could probably reveal to you both the style of music and the message that this Finnish band, Black Dawn, are trying to get across. If you haven't guessed, Black Dawn, known nowadays as The True Black Dawn, plays black metal music with all the typical cliches of the genre very much intact. Just look at the album cover. Two men, wearing corpse paint, with blood dripping from their mouths. I think that pretty much says it all right there. Now just a warning here, this band doesn't do anything that hasn't been done millions of times before within the black metal genre. So if that turns you off, then you might as well not go any further with this review or the album. With all that being said, Blood for Satan is still a very enjoyable record and fans of the genre will most likely find some things to enjoy about it.

As I mentioned, Black Dawn doesn't do anything unique at all. Instrumentation is pretty much just standard black metal. Similar to other Finnish black metal bands such as Impaled Nazarene or Beherit, this band opts for the gritty, speedy style of black metal. Drums are blast beats for the most part, although they do slow down at times to just keep the rhythm during the calmer parts. Nothing special, but once again, that doesn't really make it a bad thing. It's well executed and there's very little sloppiness. As for the riffs, they're probably the high point of the album. Other than just having trance inducing tremolo picked riffs the entire time, there are actually some catchier melodic riffs throughout the duration of this album, similar to something you would hear on a Dissection album. You get the same type of cold atmosphere from the riffs, which is definitely a good thing. Now when I say atmosphere, don't mistake this for being any type of an atmospheric black metal album like you would hear from bands such as Burzum or Drudkh, but still you can feel the frostbitten nature it's trying to get across.

Vocally, once again, this album is just like the hundreds of black metal bands out there. Yes you have the high-pitched, satanic squeal that you're used to hearing. If you like this style of vocals and are a fan of the genre, then you'll have no problem, but if you're somebody who can't stand the shrieks and you have never been able to tolerate them, then this album will not change your mind in any way, shape, or form. Like I said, not unique in the slightest, but just like the instruments, the vocals are never bad at any point on the album. I mean, the guy doesn't have the type of distinguishable vocals like some other vocalists like Ihsahn or Varg Vikernes where you can simply hear one second of a song and point out who it is, but this guy can scream and he can do it pretty damn well.

All that can really be said about this album is that it's completely cliche. It represents the very reputation that the second wave of black metal has been branded with since its conception in Norway in the early 90's. Some people may be saying, "Well that time can never be recreated and it's been over done," and other things like that, and you would be absolutely right. This brings nothing new to the table and doesn't come forth with any groundbreaking ideas that would make you want to listen to this for years to come. With that being said, this is still a good album and is fun to listen to every now and then when you're in a "kvlt" type mood. All of these things that I've mentioned don't make this album bad. If you're a fan of the genre then you won't find anything to complain about other than the fact that's it's been done billions of times before. But if you can get past that, then you'll find an enjoyable listen in Black Dawn's Blood for Satan.