Big K.R.I.T.
K.R.I.T Wuz Here

by PrettyToney USER (6 Reviews)
February 14th, 2011 | 20 replies | 10,199 views

Review Summary: King Remembered In Time captures everyone's attention with a great rap album that brings passion back to the south. Listen closely Paul Wall. You too Young Jeezy.

Big K.R.I.T is a 24-year-old rapper and producer from Missippippi, who was recently signed to Def Jam after gaining critical acclaim with this digitally released album: Big K.R.I.T was here.

Apparently he released five mixtapes before getting this far, but to be honest I had never heard of him, so it was a nice surprise to see someone bring back what southern rap was missing since 3-6 Mafia started recording with DJ Tiesto.

Sounding like a reincarnated Pimp C on triumphant opener Return Of 4eva and second track Country ***, he definitely owes southern pioneers UGK a word of thanks. But that's not to say he's just another carbon copy either. Both of the tracks sound like respectable tributes rather than last minute rip-offs.

K.R.I.T, which stands for King Remembered In Time, produced this entire album himself, a rarity in modern hip-hop where most albums are flooded with A-list producers. As a Wu Tang fan, old movie and soul samples are something I can't get enough of and this album is filled with classic vocals used cleverly on tracks like Something, where K.R.I.T raps and the sample seems to be replying back to his verses. If K.R.I.T doesn't make it as a rapper he definitely has a career as a producer.

Things slow down a bit after the second track with some insight into K.R.I.T's personal struggles. While he can definitely pull off the conscious vibe, and he does it well on some songs with tales of small town struggles and love lost, these are a bit more hit and miss than the upbeat tracks. It does sound a little strange hearing someone from the south rap like J Cole. While there is no doubting this is a solid album, it would have benefited from a little trimming of the fat.

The album reaches another peak at the half-way point, with the stellar Moon and Stars. This track definitely should have been a big hit with a feature from the always stellar and ridiculously underrated Devin the Dude. The dreamy beat and flow used by K.R.I.T is an absolute standout, and I'm surprised he didn't save the track for his major label debut.

Devin's not the only great guest either. Two members of Field Mob make an appearance, which speaks for K.R.I.T's authenticity as a southern rapper, and Curren$y showcases his laid back flow. Even Wiz Khalifa sounds great, which makes me think maybe he should stick to doing features.

Hopefully with Def Jam's input, a little creative control and more of those soulful beats, K.R.I.T will indeed be a name to remember.

Lupe Fiasco LasersFornax Chemica Chemical Furnace
Cronian TerraVintersorg Solens Rotter
Orphaned Land El Norra Alila

illmitch

album is awesome

pr good review too but it could use a little more specific mentioning of lyrics and analysis, etc

PrettyToney
February 14th 2011

ITS THE YOUNG K.R.I.T MACKIN HOES LIKE N*GGAZ WITH PERMS AND GOLD TEETH.

Ha, on a serious note thanks for the feedback. I was going to add specific lyrics but I figured it was ok without it.

Hysterical
February 14th 2011

This is someone rap needs, a guy who can produce himself and deliver a record exactly as he wants to.... something lost in mainstream rap, not to say he will be mainstream ever.

Tupik
February 15th 2011

Glass House ftw

Digging: Mick Jenkins - The Water[s]

PrettyToney
February 15th 2011

Yeah Glass House, Return of 4eva, Country Shit, and Moon and Stars are my jams.

joesmoe4000
February 21st 2011

Hometown Hero,Children Of The World,No Wheaties, and Small As A Giant are my jams.

Digging: Mick Jenkins - The Water[s]

May 15th 2011

LET ME TELL YA BOUT THIS SUPA FLY DUTTY DUTTY THIRD COAST MUDDY WATER SHAWTY POP THAT PUSSAY IF YA WANNA LET ME TELL YA BOUT THIS OL' SCHOOL POURIN' LEAN CANDIED YAMS AND COLLARD GREENS POCKET FULLA STONES RIDIN' CLEAN LET ME TELL YA BOUT THIS COUNTRY SHIT COUNTRY COUNTRY SHIT LET ME TELL YA BOUT THIS COUNTRY SHIT COUNTRY COUNTRY SHIT LET ME TELL YA BOUT THIS COUNTRY SHIT COUNTRY COUNTRY SHIT LET ME TELL YA BOUT THIS COUNTRY SHIT COUNTRY COUNTRY SHIT LET ME TELL YA BOUT THIS COUNTRY SHIT COUNTRY COUNTRY SHIT LET ME TELL YA BOUT THIS COUNTRY SHIT COUNTRY COUNTRY SHIT LET ME TELL YA BOUT THIS COUNTRY SHIT COUNTRY COUNTRY SHIT LET ME TELL YA BOUT THIS COUNTRY SHIT COUNTRY COUNTRY SHIT LET ME TELL YA BOUT THIS COUNTRY SHIT COUNTRY COUNTRY SHIT

cirq
May 19th 2011

children of the world is thee jam

lobby
May 27th 2011

what a great album, shame he couldn't follow up

Xplisit
May 27th 2011

"what a great album, shame he couldn't follow up"

lolwut

joesmoe4000
June 2nd 2011

lobby is on free base tho i like this album more ReturnOf4eva is better than this in some aspects.

June 2nd 2011

lobby
January 9th 2012

def a great album, the track 'Hometown Hero' in particular

January 11th 2012

Damn, why's the average rating for this so low? This is almost as good as the next one.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

jayfatha
July 17th 2012

His flow on Viktorious is so mmmm

oltnabrick
February 18th 2013

krit dam

Digging: Monte / Magnétophonique - Split

oltnabrick
August 14th 2013

The tracks with Currensy are so fuking good

chitownflip
October 13th 2013

Becoming one of my favorite krit tape. Small as a giant, no Wheaties, children,hometown hero, glass house. Basically the the majority rules