Andrew Jackson Jihad
People Who Can Eat People are the Luckiest People

by vanderb0b USER (63 Reviews)
February 13th, 2011 | 23 replies | 5,388 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: So here’s to you Mrs. Robinson, you live in an unforgiving place.

Louis Armstrong once said to himself, “What a wonderful world!” and yet, I’m still usually unable to share his enthusiasm. It takes just one look at the headlines of nearly any newspaper to see why: poverty, disease, and a surprising amount of ignorant, pointless, hatred seems to be the only things to be found. And these things have all been around since the dawn of time and will probably remain for just as long.

Andrew Jackson Jihad, it seems, have a relatively similar perspective on modern life. They paint a rather unsympathetic picture of the world: it’s filled with cowardly-yet-merciless killers, hopeless days spent sitting and sighing, and all sorts of unpleasantries like HIV and death and nobody is able to anything about it. Indeed, it’s established by the end of the first verse that God, or whoever is in charge of everything, doesn’t give half a damn about anything that you have to say.

That said, should any of this prevent us from having some fun? Andrew Jackson Jihad are firmly convinced that it should not. Sure, the world will eventually “devastate” and even “kill” you, but you might as well enjoy yourself for now because, goddammit, you’re trying your best. And besides, while people might be rude and impatient, one just can’t help feeling that they’re still pretty great in the end. Who knows, claim Andrew Jackson Jihad, if you spend your life being kind to others, the world just might become a better place.

This message, which is as uplifting as it is depressing, is told through optimistic, punky folk songs much akin to a sloppier Frank Turner or Andrew Bird (neither of those would ever be caught saying that there’s a “rapist and a nazi” in everyone’s “tiny heart”, though). Most songs don’t feature much more than (frequently off-key) singing and a guitar or two, but once can occasionally hear an mandolin or horn make a brief appearance. Regardless, there isn’t a very large amount of variety here, but the fun, upbeat nature of most of the melodies makes this much less of an issue than it could have been. Along with this, the quirky nature of tunes like “A Song Dedicated to the Memory of Stormy the Rabbit”, where pizzicato melodies and horns of all kinds accompany alliterated addresses about being a ball of meat that the bees can eat, makes the lack of diversity a much less glaring issue.

People Who Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People In The World is certainly an odd record, and it most definitely feels a bit disquieting when songs about the scarily-optimistic thoughts of a man committing a quadruple murder are followed by tunes about how there should be no more crying, hatred, or sadness. But in the end, the whole point is clear: you’ve just got to be the “best fucking human that you can be”.

Alfred Schnittke Gogol SuiteSoundtrack Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Soundtrack Avenue Q - Original Broadway CastUlcerate The Destroyers of All
Camille Saint-Saens Danse macabre, Op.40Erlosung Satan In Disguise
4.2
John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF (3)
Andrew Jackson Jihad 2 II: The Jihading...

Kevin Jalmax (4.5)
A fun and light-hearted confessional of some weird Arizona kids....

February 13th 2011

I realize that this already has a good review, but I still wanted to write about it. Spent a lot of the review talking about the lyrics because they're the most important thing here.

Those that haven't heard this, check out this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyY7Yvx2PYA

mallen-
February 13th 2011

Great review. Never listened to these guys, but I feel like I would love them.

Digging: The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

Blackbelt54
February 13th 2011

hmmm... why havent i listened to these guys yet?

the best part about 2010 for me: seeing AJJ 3 times

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

bungy

worst part about 2010 for me: missing them twice

February 13th 2011

Great review. Never listened to these guys, but I feel like I would love them.

Thanks! I could easily see you liking this. Here's what I think is their best song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyY7Yvx2PYA
the best part about 2010 for me: seeing AJJ 3 times

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty jealous; this kind of band should be great live.

WeepingBanana
February 13th 2011

ohh man i wanna see these guys live so hard

February 13th 2011

when they headline they play like 30-35 song sets. its nuts. the first time I saw them with Kepi
Ghoulie, the second time was with Frank Turner and Cheap Girls, and the third time was with Royal
Monsters and Joyce Manor.

February 13th 2011

also use f[size = 2]u[/ size]cking (with spaces removed) to circumvent the swear filter when you quote at the end.

Irving

redsky is awesome.

Great review Vanderb0b (and Happy 60th to you!). Question for you: would this be a good place for me to start my AJJ adventure? Do they have any other releases that would better serve as an introduction?

the second time was with Frank Turner

Fuck...AJJ and Turner sounds like greatest show possible. Thanks for getting me around the swear filter, btw.

Thank you! This is probably the best place to start with these guys, but Can't Maintain is about as good as this.

Jethro42

12034 Comments

To be or not to be: that is the question.
Excellent review as per usual, vander.

climactic

IN FUCKING FACT MRS ROBINSON

Bitchfork
February 14th 2011

Listened to this in Kohl's today.
Fav tracks are either Stormy or Bad Bad Things. Brave as a Noun and Survival Song are up there too.

DoubtGin
February 14th 2011

this is pretty awesome; their cover of that NMH song is sweet as well

STOP SHOUTING!
February 14th 2011

IN FUCKING FACT MRS ROBINSON people hate your fucking face. nice review.

mvood
February 14th 2011

I heart this band. Although Can't Maintain is better than this imo.

gabethepiratesquid
February 14th 2011

Saw these guys on 9.11 fuck yeah!

fulgrim
February 14th 2011

Nice review, this album is brilliant.

iFghtffyrdmns
February 14th 2011

not so sure about the recommendations, but good review anyway.
such a fun/cynical little record, these guys are cool. weird, but cool.