Mogwai
Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
February 9th, 2011 | 95 replies | 20,459 views

Review Summary: Mogwai's latest finds the band with newfound ingenuity and energy galore. Here's to hoping Mogwai's mortality is more along the lines of hardcore's, rather than ours.

Grandfathers of post-rock, Mogwai, have had a tumultuous career of highs and lows. Pattern is, Mogwai will either floor on first listen (Young Team,Happy Songs For Happy People) or alternatively leave much to be desired (Zidane,The Hawk Is Howling). The pioneers’ most recent work displays Mogwai both drenched and layers and effects while dabbling in more minimalist pieces also, as Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will spans an impressive array of emotions aesthetics. This sensation is compounded when compared to the tepidness of their recent output. Mogwai’s ferocity on Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will is evident at once, and the album lives up to its intriguing name. Immersive and intense, Mogwai’s seventh LP sets the bar high in early 2011.

Hardcore exhibits Mogwai leaning their Scottish selves into electronic territory along with infusing vocals into a few songs. While not coming out of that experiment entirely unscathed, these steps towards the edge of the Cliff of Ambition (with never falling over) should be duly noted as impressive and ultimately successful. “George Square Thatcher Death Party,” being the most obvious examples of these traits, benefits from Mogwai cramming the syntax of electronic flavors into their tried-and-true post-rock sentence structure. Always, the vocals take a back seat to the instruments, and we must thank Mogwai for this because headlining the vocals would only serve to hinder the feelings of hypnotization and intrigue that the meticulous instrumentals deliver. Nevertheless, as previously stated, Mogwai’s leap ahead isn’t one without cuts and scratches in the process. More than once, Hardcore is sure to elicit head-scratching moments from the listener. An audible “huh?” dribbled from my mouth while “Mexican Grand Prix” played for the first time, a high-energy track two. The outlier is splendid in its own right, but doesn’t quite bolster Mogwai’s heavier aesthetic here.

Maybe that was Mogwai’s goal, though. Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will seems purposefully unconventional at points, without being too forced or gimmicky-- a difficult trait to pull off. Be it the reverb-ridden intro to obvious highlight of Mogwai’s discography “Rano Pano” (a dark, nightmarish track that’s amazingly expressive for a mere 5 minutes) or the band’s tendency to add layer-upon-layer to an almost ridiculous degree at some times and strip the music away to nothingness at others, the oddness on Hardcore feels meaningful and precise. Perhaps most affecting though is Mogwai’s passion throughout. Even in their lower points (of which there are not many), Mogwai spill their guts out through the audio equipment to abstract that feeling-- be it of utter despair, of energy, but mostly of wonder and awe.

Besides a few hiccups, the seventh LP reveals Mogwai in the best shape they’ve ever been. Willing to open new doors, but doing so in calculated fashion, the painting Mogwai evokes on Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will is their masterpiece. Whether they’re crafting a cinematic aura like on the aptly-titled “Death Ray,” performing the subdued elegance of “Letters,” or slowly escalating the Godspeed-esque ender “You’re Lionel Richey,” Mogwai is sure to awe listeners. On Hardcore, Mogwai is clawing at the bars of the cell they’ve created for themselves with less-than-spectacular LPs lately; and with their intensity and fervency, they manage to break free of the lockup with what is easily the band’s best since Young Team. Their age shows, in the best way possible. Attribute the diversity, ambition, and accompanying wherewithal of Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will to sheer maturity if you will; but no matter the source, there’s no denying that Mogwai are back on top of their game, and in effect all of post-rock’s for the time being.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP
James OBrien (4)
Over-milking the same exhausted formula while stubbornly refusing to allow any major overhaul in the...

Andy Antar (3.5)
Relatively inoffensive this time around, Mogwai opt to simmer rather than pop, and it's not necessar...

Matt Wolfe EMERITUS (2)
Hardcore may never die, but Mogwai's mortality has never been more evident....

19729 Comments

Here's a stream or something: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/hardcore-will-never-die-but-you-will-20110208

not as good as Yuck or Spokes, but yeah it's awesome.

that was a dumb comparison, eric.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

danielito19
February 9th 2011

someone's summary should be "post-rock will never die, but Mogwai will"

needed to throw in my stupid pun, haven't even heard this.

wyankeif1337
February 9th 2011

this review makes me very happy

eternium
February 9th 2011

Yay, a positive review. Thank you sir.

danielito19
February 9th 2011

probably should listen to this. might get around to it.

summary ftw

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

19729 Comments

Reiterating in-jokes that fly above the heads of lowly peons make me feel important. Us Sputnik aristocrats must assert our dominance somehow, right?

summary ftf

February 9th 2011

Of course, it is one of the few perks of being a contrib! Ok I guess I'll actually read the review now...

...and it is great, as I could have easily guessed. Pos'd. I'm not sure if I'd like this, I find it hard to get into post rock outside of the blatant requirements (GY!BE, Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Ros).

scissorlocked
February 9th 2011

great review, I'll have to check this out

Digging: John Roberts - Ausio

Irving

GYROMANIA SIGHTING.

Great review Sea - as usual. Always nice to have a counterpoint kicking around, and you did well here. Pos.

couldwinarabbit
February 9th 2011

didn't you do this like a month ago?

Also should it be "international neg a Sea review day" to follow be mean and tell him to shut up day?

Electric City
February 9th 2011

alright for someone who doesn't get the apparent in joke in the summary, i must confess it sounds retarded

Digging: Alvvays - Alvvays

sounds like a dumb day

and yeah Downer I figured but because this is the second-in-line review next to MTF's so whatever...

Electric City

whats the reference?

Xenophanes
February 9th 2011

Ugh, cannot see what you do in this record.

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

Static

honestly top tier reviewer

will eventually check this out

thanks much static =) you might like this, I think

edited the summary... hastily... someone mind telling me if it's clear enough?

Static