Pagan's Mind
God's Equation

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
February 8th, 2011 | 23 replies | 6,290 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: METAL RAMPAGE

Progressive power metal has potential to include a roster of bizarre, untamed bands, and the reasons are obvious. By combining the two genres, you’ll get the ridiculous wankery of progressive metal, and also the excessive cheese found in power metal. It is a match made in heaven, or hell, depending on your musical preference. How does this relate to Pagan’s Mind? Well, Pagan’s Mind always had the potential to go bonkers, and in God’s Equation they did just that. Being about as proggy and powery (yeah I made up those words) as the human mind can handle, this is easily their most bizarre album. The band was always a bit out there with their nerdy lyrics and alien soundscapes, so why not go all out? It turns out that going a bit crazy was just the thing the band needed.

God’s Equation could be described as a metal freak-out. Every song is flooded with insane guitar riffs, riffs so outstandingly technical it’s a wonder how their guitarist can play any of the songs live (but he can, and he does it perfectly). The band also amped up distortion to bone-shaking levels, the ploy works well in their favor. However, some things do not work as well, such as the lead singer’s attempts at growls, or the gang vocals tossed in songs – it is thankful that they are only occasional nuisances. Generally, Pagan’s Mind’s attempt at being more metal is achieved with flying colors; the album is a head banger if ever there was one.

With their technical instrument playing as well as the distortion factor being turned up, it follows that their sci-fi sounds are more prevalent than ever. The keyboardist is at his best, belting out alien synth lines and spacey atmospherics in the most obvious geek attack yet. He’s also playing to a higher level with the synths used just as often and technically as the guitar work, it’s even difficult to tell the two instruments apart when one after the other burst out with solos. So what happens when the band’s technical metal and alien soundscapes collide? Absolute chaos happens. The album has a bad case of ADHD and the amount of ridiculous riffs will surely drive you insane. If one wanted to commit mass murder, they would only have to get a bunch of old people in the same room and then play this album on the loudest setting – seizures galore! Yes, this is Pagan’s Mind’s greatest album so far and is even quite hard to beat in the progressive metal scene, but will the band ever surpass God’s Equation? Only time machines can tell.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex

Boobies. Comments?

20798 Comments

Boobies and power metal, a flawless combination! Nice review pizza.

February 8th 2011

Thanks for stopping by Ty! Apparently I picked the wrong day to post a review, Sputnik is sleeping.

February 8th 2011

It's been sleeping for the past few days. Nice review man. Doesn't sound like my thing though.

Digging: Sun Worship - Elder Giants

20798 Comments

Well quite a few reviews have been posted today, but no-one is looking at them... Oh well this will stay on the frontpage for quite some time.

February 8th 2011

Good points guys. Hawks, out of curiosity, how much prog or power metal have you actually tried?

February 8th 2011

I've tried a good amount of power metal. The only album I truly like was The Premonition by Firewind.

20798 Comments

You 4,5'd Children of Bodom's Are You Dead Yet? and Hate Crew Deathroll, they are pretty power metal-ish.

February 8th 2011

@ Hawks: Ahhh I see, well you *might* like this then, it's fairly similar to that album.
@ Ty: Yeah.

February 8th 2011

I consider Children of Bodom much more melo-death than power metal.

20798 Comments

Well I did too, until I heard the keyboards on Hate Crew Deathroll.

jybt
February 8th 2011

Never tried this band - can't get into their strange lyrical slant that doesn't seem to make any sense, or be anything that I would like. Think the music would be good, but not really worth bothering with for me.

pizzamachine: Check my reviews again. :D

Irving

POWERMETALBOOBIESIMMONAPOSRIGHTNOW.

February 8th 2011

@ jybt: The band is influenced by the original Stargate movie, their lyrics are often conceptual in that sense. I'll read some of your reviews!

@ Irving: Hahaha you're a silly one, thanks.

February 8th 2011

But potato, the music rules.

Irving
February 8th 2011

Hahah, indeed. But on a more serious note - the last sentence was one of the most triumphant endings to a review that I've seen in a long while =)

Good job Pizz, really. You continue to have my respect.

This sounds awful. Pos.

Digging: Trampled By Turtles - Wild Animals

February 8th 2011

Hehheh you like my pun do you? Irving, I can't possibly accept all of your respect. : )

February 8th 2011

That's because most of it belongs to me.

February 8th 2011

Oh snap, double-edged comment there.