Off With Their Heads
In Desolation

by Josh Fountain CONTRIBUTOR (60 Reviews)
February 4th, 2011 | 27 replies | 7,965 views

Review Summary: The most fun punk album to come out in years

Off With Their Heads is nothing but a straight-forward punk rock band from Minnesota. Now, with that said, they have almost perfected their own brand of punk rock, with punchy guitars and gruff vocals. OWTH has gained quite a bit of a following as punk fans have been yearning for a band to rise to the top of a genre that has been overrun by pop punk bands looking for a paycheck (which we all know is something punk fans hate, their favorite bands making any money.) OWTH’s rise as a punk band is surprising considering the complete dilution of the genre and the fact that most bands that come up these days simply cannot be considered straight punk. With all the subgenres around bands end up fusing punk with other genres, which is nothing new. In the 90s it was ska, in the early 2000s we saw the rise of pop-punk like Blink-182 and Sum 41, and now we are in the midst of this weird age of punk becoming awkwardly fused to metalcore and breakdowns, or “Happy Hardcore” along the lines of Four Year Strong, Set Your Goals, and A Day To Remember. So whether they like it or not, OWTH are saddled with proving people that they will not turn away from the punk sound they are known with, especially since they have signed with Epitaph, who hadn’t signed a punk band since 2001.

So Off With Their Heads decided to create a fun, exciting punk album, probably the best “*** you” to the naysayers that they could.

In Desolation is everything that punk fans could want. The guitars are punchy and fast, rarely more than straight power chords but each chord is dripping with edge, like the rails could fall off at any moment. The drumming is perfect, never trying to go outside the song, creating a perfect sturdy background when coupled with the bass, which is always audible. The vocalist is the true highlight here though, sounding like Dicky Barrett’s younger brother with that same gruff, heavy edge to it. The lyrics are fun and unpretentious, never detracting from the music. There are no bad lyrics here, but nothing that will really make you think, which is kind of the point.

All in all, In Desolation harkens back not to the overly pissy yet couldn’t play a note days of The Sex Pistols but more the early nineties, more Social Distortion without the rockabilly or Americana, or Mighty Mighty Bosstones without the brass. Off With Their Heads has created a fun, straight-forward punk album, nothing more, nothing less, which might just be what the punk guys disillusioned with what Warped Tour has become need right now.

Chuck Ragan Till MidnightPerfect Pussy Say Yes to Love
Twin Forks Twin ForksCheatahs Cheatahs
John Moreland In The ThroesThe Front Bottoms Talon of the Hawk

February 4th 2011

Don't let them being on Epitaph fool you, this is an awesome punk record.

Digging: The Menzingers - Rented World

February 4th 2011

yeah this album's really good, though if you think it's the most fun punk album to come out in years you could do with some recs imo

Tyrael

20393 Comments

Good punk in 2010? I need to check this out. Nice review!

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

mitch91
February 5th 2011

I don't mean to be harsh, but I don't think the review covers the album in much depth at all. Half of it focuses on trends within punk and the rest of it doesn't really give an impression of the album's strengths. Also, the lyrics are probably OWTH's defining feature- they're so dark and self-deprecating, yet also uplifting; I wouldn't describe them as 'fun' at all.

Apart from that, the review is well written and flows nicely.

February 5th 2011

most of the self-deprecation comes with a sense of humor to it, and it is punk, how much in depth do you want me to get? I can describe each power chord to you

February 5th 2011

The 3.6 rating is a little misleading. Everyone but one moron thought the album was great or better.

February 5th 2011

hey bungy do you have those recs? I would like to get into more punk these days

gabethepiratesquid
February 5th 2011

I saw Andrew Jackson Jihad live and Sean had a Off With Their Heads tee that had Jesus on the cross being sucked off by a bunch of kids. I've been desperately searching for that band tee but have yet to find it :C

I might actually email the band members for it.

deathofasalesman
February 5th 2011

Great review. My thoughts exactly.

February 7th 2011

punk recs like this? New punk recs?

February 7th 2011

yeah man, if you don't mind

February 8th 2011

no prob, here's a few contemporaries you should like.

Andrew Jackson Jihad - People that Can Eat People (if you liked Can't Maintain you need this)
The Copyrights - Make Sound (nongay poppy punk)
Dead to Me - Cuban Ballerina
Dear Landlord - Dream Homes
Dillinger Four - Civil War
The Dopamines - Expect the Worst
House Boat - Delaware Octopus (more pop punk)
Latterman - No Matter Where We Go
Lawrence Arms - Oh! Calcutta!
Menzingers - Chamberlain Waits
None More Black - Icons
A Wilhelm Scream - Career Suicide (you'll like this one for sure)
Wingnut Dishwasher's Union - Burn the Earth Leave it Behind (best folk punk album of all time)

February 8th 2011

forgot the funnest punk band ever:

Bomb the Music Industry!

April 20th 2011

I listen to this too much not to bump the rating.

I am dominating this thread

Satellite
April 24th 2011

19746 Comments

like adam morrison in the perimeter on the bench

Digging: The Menzingers - Rented World

April 24th 2011

lol pretty sure he isn't even on the bench anymore.

I recommended that guy 13 albums from the heart and he doesn't seem to care

Apollo
August 25th 2011

buddy of mine recommended this to me today, I'm gonna check it out tonight

Bfd
November 27th 2011

This album blows my mind.

deathofasalesman
November 27th 2011

Not all that mind-blowing but fun indeed.

Bfd
December 5th 2011

The more i listen to this album the more i listen to it. i must higher my rating.