Dangers
Dangers

by Statrick Pickles USER (63 Reviews)
February 2nd, 2011 | 17 replies | 6,325 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: lol U MAD? 'Cause these guys are.

Give the average person nine and a half minutes to simply state what's on their mind and they probably won't say much of any worth. Ask them to give their general opinions on certain subjects about which they feel strongly and they'll most likely do nothing more than regurgitate some trite commentary on political absurdities or tell you how great their wife and kids are. Perhaps they'll tell you of their penchant for walking their poodle or about their stamp collection. Maybe they'll tell you a tale of freshman year of high school and desperately wanting the senior football quarterback to notice them, but not being able to snag his attention on account of wearing a tee shirt to school as opposed to a short skirt. (I'll omit any names for the reason that I don't want Taylor Swift to feel too offended by the fact that I've labeled her a genuinely typical human being.)

Very fortunately for us, Dangers' frontman Al Brown is not the average person, at least not when placed in this particular situation. No, Mr. Brown has slightly more substantial things on his mind than awkward high school acne and canine breeding. In the same ten minutes that Jane Doe has filled with a "like, oh my gawd, uh-mazing" discourse on her semi-psychopathic, most likely incestuous four-wheeling boyfriend's Valentine's Day present, Dangers will cover a little bit more. Take Neo Neo-Nazi's, for example, otherwise known as members of the tumultuous, havoc-inducing group, "F.S.U." (you can figure out what it stands for) To the best of my knowledge, I've never met such an individual and therefore never have I had any reason to hold any grudges against them. Al, on the other hand, has apparently had a rather remorseful encounter with some of these so-aptly named "Neo Neo-Nazi's", for he has included here an 85 second dialogue regarding such typeset people. By "dialogue", I really should say a "scathing and abrasive yet earnest howling which hereby serves to highlight and harbor hatred against the intensely aggressive and overly-masculine ways of said creatures, and one which indubitably strives to verbally tear such people a brand new poop-hole". Needless to say, Dangers are not down with F.S.U.

Probably on the completely opposite end of the spectrum sits your standard, over-privileged Southern California high school girl who's just dying for social attention and romantic acceptance. It should come as no surprise to find out that Dangers have some things to say about her as well. The ferocious irony hangs on every disgusted syllable that leaks from Brown's throat: "Deep in love with love./ Oh sweet, romantic thoughts./Laugh and dance through sweet romance, and cherry-pop your way to popularity." The intense hatred and criticisms found on this EP don't limit themselves only to people, however. Ticketmaster Entertainment, Inc., the company behind ticket sales and venue management for so many big-name and even some more underground events, also falls into Al's line of verbal fire. "They rape what we love/.../process fee what's ours away,/ no stage is the only stage for me." The intensity level of the angst and anguish found in the words and music of every song never wanes.

Although the musical structure found on this EP rarely abandons its traditional and sometimes frighteningly hardcore basis, the potency and general vehemence of the lyrics still manage to create a well-rounded package. Al's grievances with the world and with society are provocative enough for a listener to enjoy but not overly-grating to the point of sounding whiney. Even with such a brief start-to-finish play time, Dangers are able to pack enough punch to really spark some thought and fervor in the audience.

Binary Heart SplitsvilleApe Up! Kemosabe
Joyce Manor Of All Things I Will Soon Grow TiredAnti-Flag The General Strike
Good Old War Come Back As RainSnowing Pump Fake / Scherbatsky 7"

5 O'Clock Shadows At The

Anger

Messy, Isn't It?
recommended by reviewer
Dangers Anger

February 2nd 2011

Short review for a very short EP. Definitely check these guys out if you haven't done so already, they're a lot of fun and like I said, they're pretty pissed off.

Also, this is something worth checking out:
It's a quick interview with Al along with a live performance of the song "Stay-At-Home Mom"

Comments / Criticisms always appreciated!

conradtao

2088 Comments

Good review! I might just check this out...

Slum
February 2nd 2011

lool summary. Good review dude, caught something though

"rarely abandons its simple, traditionally and sometimes frighteningly hardcore basis"
Think it should be just traditional, could be wrong.

cbmartinez
February 2nd 2011

been spinning messy isnt it? non stop, definitely gonna dl all of their back catalog asap

February 2nd 2011

Yeah Slum thanks, I see that. I'll fix that sentence up a bit, it feels a bit sloppy to me anyways.

Hep Kat

meh

Digging: Merchandise - After The End

SeaAnemone

19677 Comments

this is cool but their other stuff is much much better

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

Pizza
February 2nd 2011

great review. neo neo-nazis is about FSU, not neo-nazis. thought i'd mention it cause you talk about it a lot. http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=25874 (link from dangers' site)

Aids
February 2nd 2011

summary rules. I've only heard Messy, Isn't It? but I'm going to get around to this and Angers pretty soon.

Digging: Ought - More Than Any Other Day

February 2nd 2011

checked out that link Pizza, that's pretty fucked up shit (pun intended, I guess).
Never heard of those FSU guys before but that's pretty wild. Glad I now know, thanks bud.

cvlts
February 2nd 2011

holy shit! i heard about that show, didnt think it was that bad. although everyone and their mother
knew that fsu was in the crowd.

sniper
February 3rd 2011

review is fucking brilliant, nice job. have a pos.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

Skimaskcheck
February 3rd 2011

should get this

Xenophanes
February 4th 2011

Great work brah, this band is awesome. I haven't heard much of this but you've inspired me to check it out.

Pos!