andtheywillriot!
Kick Up The Leaves, This Is Autumn

by danielito19 USER (22 Reviews)
February 1st, 2011 | 37 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Post-rock tinged screamo that doesn't suck.

andtheywillriot! is a quite obscure British five-piece screamo band. However, their obscurity is unwarranted, as their 2006 debut proves. The album starts off with Latin-influenced opener “Latin Speak.” One thing you’ll notice while traveling across this soundscape is the vocals. You can’t understand a word that’s being screamed due to the high register of the vocalist's scream. However, while the vocals are entirely indecipherable, they fit the instrumentation perfectly. And oh, the instrumentation! It is absolutely fantastic. As the album progresses, andtheywillriot! seamlessly shifts from a relentless auricular assault to slower interludes that are barely held back. During every second of the slower post-rock interludes, the band strains to hold back the excitement. And when they explode, you can feel the release of the tension, as the Jacob-Bannon-esque vocals and spastic grinding guitars wash over you.

Another thing you may notice while listening is the omnipresent influence of grindcore on the guitars and drums. The drums are almost entirely grind-based, providing aggressive fills and prominent use of the ride cymbal. The guitars are somewhat grindy, as seen in the use of dissonant riffs in almost every song. This Is Autumn is a perfect example of this dissonance.

One of the main detractors is the lack of bass in most of the album due to production. Where the bass is audible, it sounds thin. The only other negative is that the screaming vocals are indecipherable. When the vocalist is singing clean, he has a slight waver, but fits the band’s sound very well. Also, he pulls off some incredible harsh passages, including a few long sustained screams.

Clocking in at 26 minutes and 28 seconds, this surpasses many punk records in length, yet manages to stay fresh throughout the entire album. andtheywillriot! doesn’t reuse riffs, or repeat ad nauseum. Also, the band is not shy about trying new things, as influenced by the slight Latin leanings of the aptly titled Latin Speak, or the piano they bring in for some of the songs. However, unlike other skramz bands who throw in unnecessary instruments (we’re all looking at you, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You), andtheywillriot! is the clear better, as the piano playing complements the guitars.

Kick Up The Leaves, This Is Autumn is a spectacular debut, and a good album for anyone interested in post-rock tinged skramz.

Mozart's Sister BeingGlenn Branca The Ascension
Seeker UnlovedUnwound Leaves Turn Inside You
Fucked Up David Comes to LifeStrung Out An American Paradox

Foxhound
February 1st 2011

You got me to check this out. Very interesting

2041 Comments

wow, surprised to see this reviewed. album is great. "the bray of bragging tongues" is my favorite.
this review is kind of riddled with problems, though. for starters: "The album starts off with the
kick in the face opener 'The Bray of Bragging Tongues.'" No, it doesn't. You also make some claims and
don't really back them up (like saying how the only problem is the vocals.) Good review, just needs
some fixing.

Digging: georgerolandallen - swagbob

February 1st 2011

well that track list is entirely different from mine. Thank you for alerting me to this and I'll adjust my review.

EDIT: FIXED.

February 1st 2011

Yeah, an hour after I finished reviewing, the vocals sort of clicked for me. Totally changed my mind and the vocals are a positive now. Except I can't touch upon lyrical content at all, which is kinda meh.

opblaaskonijn
February 2nd 2011

Awesome album is awesome. Review is decent, pos'd.

February 2nd 2011

I wasn't here two years ago. but yeah I like this a lot

qwe3

yeah this rules.

qwe3
February 2nd 2011

i was so into these guys in my post rock skramz phase. problem is that style wears off so quickly and then you cant listen to it for ages without wanting to fist a baby marmoset

SeaAnemone

20321 Comments

^ qwe spouting truth like a fire hydrant

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II

2041 Comments

"i told everyone on this site to listen to this like 2 years ago. fuck you guys."

definitely added them to the database and had the first rating usuk

February 3rd 2011

very irrelevant

February 9th 2011

oh well

May 14th 2011

oh my god this is amazing

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

I know right?

May 14th 2011

the band name is horrible, sounds like some scene kid bullshit but goddamn this rules

May 14th 2011

haha, I never really pay attention to band names

sniper

19050 Comments

haven't heard this. gonna get it and save it for a rainy day.

sniper

19050 Comments

sweet i love short albums

May 15th 2011

it's almost 27 minutes, I've heard far shorter.

May 15th 2011

not as short as that nails album but still very short