Motek
Dragons

by Angel STAFF
January 31st, 2011 | 29 replies | 6,195 views

Review Summary: MOTEK offer up a genre-bending release that showcases both ingenuity and maturity.

The Belgian experimental outfit MOTEK is a collective of artists - in every sense of the word. They use imagery to inspire music and music to inspire imagery. This flow of creativity is harnessed through lengthy jam sessions which are recorded, analyzed, and deconstructed, ultimately to be pieced back together and fashioned into something new and complete. This approach also extends into video, which allows the group to create their immersive audiovisual live performances.

An untitled debut was released through the group’s own label, Asthmatic Whale, in 2006. MOTEK would go on to garner a good bit of attention playing various audiovisual and art festivals around the world. Enough, in fact, to provoke EMI Belgium to create a daughter label on which to sign them. The newly minted indie label, Noisesome Recordings, has since become a host for the experimental edge of Belgium’s younger music scene. Port Sunshine, the band’s sophomore effort, was released in 2008, gaining them further press attention and a broader fan-base. While MOTEK’s humble beginnings are rooted in post-rock, their music has evolved with influences ranging from electronica to math-rock. 2010’s Dragons sees these influences culminate and coagulate into a beautifully homogenous album that remains difficult to file away under any category.

MOTEK’s third full-length boasts songs teeming with post-rock ebb and flow while exuding plenty of indie charm. The music tends sway about like a playful breeze but can pick up gradually and often inconspicuously to become a powerful gust of emotion and atmosphere. Effects-laden guitars provide the framework for most songs, supported by a simplistic, pulsing rhythm section, and entrancing keyboard melodies and effects. The rich production allows each element to saturate the listener while not overwhelming. Vocals are sparse but often prove powerful, as demonstrated through the melancholic drone of “Kobenhavn.” Lead single “Abused” finds the group channeling an updated Depeche Mode - and to great effect. Dragons shows just how diverse and dynamic these artists can be but maintains a sort of loose cohesion that makes it such a success as an album. Each song could easily be enjoyed on its own but also make sense as a whole.

In reaching out to a broader audience, MOTEK have birthed a unique sound and style. They’ve given us a record that’s accessibility can at times mask its creativity and subtlety. As the group continues to carve out its niche, hopefully the ideas utilized here will be refined as new ones manifest. Dragons shows a band that has grown immensely, and with the creative prowess at play, will more than likely only prove to improve.

Chelsea Wolfe Pain Is BeautyPrurient Through the Window
Muknal / The Haunting Presence SplitStorm Corrosion Storm Corrosion
Rudimentary Peni CacophonyNoothgrush Erode the Person

February 1st 2011

Guess Belgians aren't just good for beer after all.

Gotta thank Balls for plugging this. Probably wouldn't have stumbled across these guys otherwise.

February 1st 2011

Love you bro. Wanted to review this but having a reviewing relapse. Props. Bombass album. Motives is one of the best songs of 10.

Belgian chocolate,waffles. Boom

February 1st 2011

Man, that made me want Waffle House.

Motives is such a fuckin boss track. This is easily one of my top ten from last year. Hope some more people catch on and give it a listen.

February 1st 2011

Ate cheescake tonight but godamnit I want waffle house tomorrow.

February 1st 2011

Hell yeah. I'm comin' for that cheesesteak omelette plate tomorrow. Hashbrowns smothered, covered, and capped. It's on.

Hawks
February 1st 2011

Nice review as always man. Doubt this would be my kinda thing.

TheSpirit
February 1st 2011

great review. this sounds awesome will definitely check out

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

Thanks, dudes.

February 1st 2011

Checking this out as it sounds pretty awesome

February 1st 2011

OH WOW. May end up bumping this to 4.5 even. Pos'd half for a good review and half for even bringing
this band to my attention. Had I known about this last year it would have made my year end list...

Jethro42

12052 Comments

Based on your rec albums (especially Ulver, thank's for that!) and some excerpts from you tube, this sounds pretty good. Great review, man.

vanderb0b
February 1st 2011

Nice review, this really seems like something that I could really enjoy.

February 1st 2011

Thanks a lot guys. Glad to shed some spotlight on this pretty obscure gem of an album. And glad you liked Shadows, Jethro. Definitely one of my all-time favorites.

wyankeif1337
February 2nd 2011

i saw an album called "Dragons" by a band called "Motek" reviewed by a dude called "AngelofDeath"

i was expecting viking black metal tbh

February 2nd 2011

Album cover probably didn't help either.

February 11th 2011

Same here wyankeif but I was actually really glad it was this instead.

February 18th 2011

Sooo, more people should get this album.

scissorlocked
March 7th 2011

based on the recs, I think that this will be awesome

good review man

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

Tyrael

20440 Comments

I'm glad that at least 1 group is still able to make the mother country proud.

scissorlocked
March 7th 2011

wow Tyrael, you are from Belgium!

You have dEUS man, they are huge!!