Soundtrack (Film)
Elektra: The Album

2.0
poor

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
January 31st, 2011 | 24 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: a pathetic soundtrack for an equally inadequate movie.

What is it with superhero movie soundtracks? Ever since the Spider-Man film, it seemed that the only way to do a soundtrack for a big-budget superhero movie was to toss a bunch of crappy mainstream rock/metal songs together and hope for the best. Added to the pointlessness is the curious fact that barely any of them were even used in the movies but were just added filler so to have an excuse to sell tons of albums. Of course, this pattern was followed in the movie Elektra, with only two of the songs in the album actually played in the movie, and three others played during the credits. One has to wonder why they would even bother putting together a soundtrack, but the answer is the same as it was before, and that answer is money. The other reason was to advertise the record company’s (Wind-Up) line-up, and of course, that would lead to money. No care is put into matching the mood of the movie, and as such, the album is garbage.

Although the movie had cool villains and a few neat action scenes, the movie mostly focused on the dreary past of Elektra and the reason behind why she would choose the life of an assassin. Generic rock with ansgt simply does not fit the mood of the film, what they needed was dark ambience or something minimal yet eerie. Including such generic music makes it seem that Elektra’s life must be ordinary, and that is certainly not true. I like loud, rocking songs as much as the next guy, but ultimately a soundtrack needs to have substance; it needs to carry the mood or follow the movie’s progression, and that is not the result here.

Is there anything that’s really good about this soundtrack? I suppose its saving grace is that the songs that are actually played in the movie are applied well. ‘Sooner or Later’ by Switchfoot is suitably present in a scene where melancholy reigns, and Submersed’s ‘Hollow’ (an excellent hard rock song) is played in a noisy bar as fitting. Using Finger Eleven’s ‘Thousand Mile Wish’ as one of the songs during the credits is also a smart choice considering its somber, regretting tone. However, since these are the album’s only breakthroughs, there just are not enough songs to give any attention to the soundtrack. It is still a forgettable, boring album, and most critics say the same thing about the movie.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex
poor

Ultra boring album.

January 31st 2011

This has the second worst Alter Bridge song in existence.

Digging: Poets of the Fall - Twilight Theater

January 31st 2011

Very bleehhh, what's their worst?

January 31st 2011

Shed My Skin from One Day Remains. That song sucks so bad, and I love just about all of their songs.

Tyrael

20945 Comments

Sputnikmusic episode IV: A New Pizza. Nicely done!

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

Mordecai.
January 31st 2011

This has the second worst Alter Bridge song in existence.

every alter bridge song is the was alter bridge song in existence.

*worst

and incorrect

FatChickIrl

movie was nutsack

Emim
January 31st 2011

lol, just watched Catwoman and hollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

That movie sucks.

January 31st 2011

I'm so glad I never saw that movie.

ryanson209
January 31st 2011

I liked these Marvel film soundtrack albums, until I realized... hey. This sounds like everything else.

MUNGOLOID
February 1st 2011

idk why but i'll never forget when some douchebag asked Jennifer Garner if she had a "wardrobe malfunction" on the set of filming this movie.

Xenophanes
February 1st 2011

You wasted a GREAT review on a terrible, terrible thing.

Pos haha

sifFlammable
February 1st 2011

Just wondering, why do you even listen to these albums in the first place?

February 1st 2011

Haha valid question! If you mean generally poor albums, I often don't expect them to be so bad (which is why I listen to them in the first place). In this case though, I was ultra bored and wanted to review something.

sifFlammable
February 1st 2011

lol if you really go through all the single tracks on the generally poor albums you review, kudos to you mate. your self-sacrifice makes for refreshing reads haha.

Irving

I love Jennifer Garner.

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

February 10th 2011

Jennifer Garner was hot back in her earlier Alias days...and this soundtrack is pretty bad i agree

Digging: Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy

Irving
February 10th 2011

I think after I've done enough Disney albums I should move on to covering superhero soundtracks.

Batman. Superman III.

CATWOMAN.

February 10th 2011

Sputnik's Disney authority now covering superheros