Eminem
Recovery

by TheIllmatics USER (3 Reviews)
January 29th, 2011 | 33 replies | 5,551 views

Review Summary: Eminem delivers his most disappointing album yet, and still feels the need to bash his previous two albums in the process.

Wow, what a disappointment. Every one nowadays thinks it's so amazing and it's a classic. It really isn't that great. I think Relapse was much better due to it's complex rhyme schemes (check out Stay Wide Awake) and the dark production. Also, unlike many people i didn't find the accent a huge issue. I also liked how Slim Shady had gone insane on Relapse, if you think back to The Slim Shady LP, Slim always talked about how he wanted to do insane stuff, but he never did it. On Relapse, Shady goes mad and does all the things he wanted to 10 years earlier. Anyway, back to this album. a majority of Eminem fans nowadays are only fans because of this album, which I don't mind but it's the only Eminem album they listen to, but i think it's his worst. I also have to mention that he constantly bashes Encore and Relapse for being garbage, even though I prefer those two over this any day.

The production is repetitive, irritating, and too rock-ish. Won't Back Down and Almost Famous are prime examples. Most of them give me a headache. Also the lyrical content is pretty shallow with stupid lines like "i'm gonna measure my dick...***, i need 6 inches more, *** my dick's big". Seriously? Em making corny Lil Wayne esque punch lines is every hardcore Em fan's nightmare. The entire album is comprised of useless songs about, basically, nothing. Cold Wind Blows, On Fire, Won't Back Down, W.T.P., So Bad, Almost Famous and others are just random lyrics and punch lines thrown together over an irritating beat. So why is this so overrated? Well, because it is mainstream, of course. Mainstream doesn't want Relapse's hardcore stories of Shady murdering and raping innocent people. They want corny jokes, catchy choruses and Lil Wayne. Half of the people I know who listen to this don't even know what Relapse is, let alone The Slim Shady LP. The most overrated track on the album has to be 25 to Life. It's honestly a 3.5/5 at most. People act like it's as good as "The Way I Am" or "Marshall Mathers". It's basically just a boring song about a girl who took him for granted, and now he's fed up. However it turns out that the girl is actually Hip Hop... How unoriginal. Common did it 16 years earlier on "I Used to Love H.E.R." and, frankly, it was much better. Also i have to say the guests are garbage. I can't believe Em made the Rihanna and Wayne collaborations singles for extra money. It seems like every song with Wayne or Rihanna is a single for a quick buck. What is Em doing? Every song he's done with Wayne so far has been a single (Forever, Drop the World and No Love). What ever happened to his usual guests? No 50 Cent, no Dr. Dre, no Shady/Aftermath guests except Slaughterhouse, only because they just got signed. I also don't know why it's a bonus track. It was better than half of the regular tracks. Wlso, why did he feel to need to change things he's always been doing? There's no silly first single (yeah, Not Afraid is pretty good but it was unnecessary to be the lead single) and there are no skits... C'mon! Skits are what i always enjoyed about Em's albums. He never had too many or made unnecessary ones. Especially on Relapse which, in my opinion, had the best skits out of all his albums.

Overall, if this didn't attract so many Lil Wayne, Drake and other mainstream fans and it wasn't so overrated I would consider a 3 or 3.5, but sadly this is Em's first album that i classify as "just another album". Another thing, there's only one song produced by Dr. Dre... And guess what? It sucks.

Pros- Some great and deep songs... And that's about it.

Cons- Annoying and irritating production that shouldn't have been used for Hip Hop songs, comprised mostly of meaningless songs, terrible guests, no skits, attracted a cult following of fake mainstream fans, overrated and just a disappointment considering there is no Slim Shady on this album despite what Em claims. If you are a fake mainstream fan of brainwashing Hip Hop with catchy choruses and shallow lyricism, then this is right up your alley. If you are a real Em fan who has listened to all his albums (and memorized most of them) then this is just plain trash. I won't even take the time to memorize this album, not worth my time.

3.1
good

TheIllmatics
January 29th 2011

Ugh, what a disappointment. Love Em to death but I can't stand this. Also this is my first review, so let me know what I can fix.

January 29th 2011

better than relapse but yea overrated

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

Terrifyer
January 29th 2011

rap is not real music wjhere re the guitars

January 29th 2011

its all about the mad rhymes and flows

Terrifyer
January 29th 2011

if i wanted to analyse rhymes id rather a dr seuss book, he shits all over your cunty rap bands

where are the riffs and blast beats i cant thrash to thid

January 29th 2011

if you want riffs listen to budgie

if you want YES THE SHIT IS RAW COMIN AT YOUR DOOR
START TO SCREAM OUT LOUD WU-TANGS BACK FOR MORE then chill out to some hippy hop

porch

They want corny jokes, catchy choruses and Lil Wayne

alright so you talked about the album too much and there weren't enough pointless lil wayne references

qwe3
January 29th 2011

Lil' Wayne is a great rapper and you take so many disgusting pot shots at him in this review it's really pretty pathetic

how about you write a review next time

Counterfeit

lol wtf is this

Irving
January 29th 2011

Solid review, especially for a first. That being said, be wary of using too many personal pronouns or making the piece sound too conversational. That being said, this was a decent start - welcome to Sputnik!

January 29th 2011

well obviously, this is coming from a metal head.

fr33convict
January 29th 2011

@lmlSADUSlml try again you'll get it right eventually

amanwithahammer
January 30th 2011

Listened to his first album a bit, but I've never liked this guy at all. None of his music has any appeal to me. And wow, the single I heard from this was just so bad.

Tyrael

20737 Comments

Well Lil Wayne is not that bad... But yeah overrated album.
@Andcas omg I only just noticed who your avatar is...

amanwithahammer

Biterphobia is the best Eminem song I ever heard. Amazing track. 1nd13 a5 h311

Titan50

WAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

HalfManHalfAmazing

reads like a 1

TheIllmatics
February 19th 2011

damn... just read this over. this review is fucking trash. guess i was just so pissed at em for this but yeah this sucks. some of my sound offs are better

February 19th 2011