Avenged Sevenfold
Avenged Sevenfold

by ForgetTheFallen USER (8 Reviews)
January 26th, 2011 | 87 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: All in all, I say its an awesome album. Believe me, dont believe me. I happen to find that alot of people dislike Avenged Sevenfold because of their image and dont even give them a chance. "there emo assholes" who cares?. Lots of people where stage make u

Matt Shadows - Vocals
Synyster Gates - Lead Guitar
Zacky Vengeance - Rythym Guitar
The Reverend - Drums
Johnny Christ - Bass

Let me start off by saying shortly before the self titled album's release there was alot of buzz and excitement. Im not one to buy albums, or anything for that matter, with out hearing other's opinions on it/reviews to say. So everyone was saying it was a lazily, so last minute, so for the money piece of crap. I was crushed (lol). I loved the first 3 albums and i was hoping this wouldnt suck.

I bought it anyway..... and what the hell are other people thinking?

Ill go through each song and give you an honest unbiased opinion.

Critical Acclaim 8/10

sick dual guitar intro. I might mention this alot on alot of the songs, but this album has a really good groove to it. Its not as speedy as City of Evil. The song altogether is strong and comming at you full force.
then it slows down....... the decline of the song starts here. theres nothing wrong with it, its just boring :S. Thankfully it picks up again quick and Synyster Gates lays down a sick solo. The song ends as strong as it started and leaves you in a pissed off, ragey mood.

Almost Easy

8/10

There isnt much to say about this song you wouldnt know if you listenned to City Of Evil. Its got a similar sound to the tracks on that album. Eh, I like it, but maybe others wont. :S

Scream
9/10

Alot of people were giving the band and the song flak for having a very confident and cocky sound. So... the song is about sex, that may be so. None the less its a kick ass tune! I love the groove in this song. The drum line in this song is awesome, its very pumping. One thing that stands out for me in this song is the blistering guitar solo about 3/4 way in. Again, very forceful song just like the 2 before it and needless to say its great.

Afterlife
10/10

One of the masterpieces on this album of the musical genius, The Reverend. The song is about a man who dies an unpleasant death. While in the twilight zone he realizes there was so much left to do on Earth. He needed to right all of his wrongs so he could be at peace with the ones he loved, and himself. The song opens with a string melody that i find catchy. Then the song quickly picks up pace and enters with a sweet dual guitar solo. Again this song as a forceful and strong groove to it. The chorus is kind of the changing point in the song where it changes to a more happy, melodic, mellow mood. Avenged Sevenfold is known for their melodic, catchy, poppy choruses, and this delivers. The bridge into the chorus is composed of very heavy chords and a slow, pounding drum beat. The solo is by far, the most technically advanced, crazy, overtop guitar solo on the album. The song closes with the poppy chorus that i have come to love in this song.

Gunslinger
10/10

Avenged Sevenfold's slow rock ballads are hit and miss sometimes, however this western style ballad is spot on. The openning acoustic guitar and vocal duet is very moving and emotional. Then it explodes into another full forced song. The chrorus again, is more poppy and catchy. If you were turned off by this song I ask you to listen to the whole thing and try to tell me the chorus isnt catchy. :D

Unbound (the Wild Ride)
6.5/10

This is where the album starts to decline a little bit. I dont know what they were thinking with that wacky piano oscilating scale that plays during the verses. I dont mind the chorus or the other parts, but for me that is a huge turn off. However the rest of the song is average i guess.

Brompton Cocktail

5.5/10

OH BOY.. WHERE DID YOU GO WRONG?
this song is awful. Thats all I can say. Unfortunately the only reason i gave this song so high is because of the chorus. The rest of the song is all over the place. It sounded like they wanted to try something very unique, but kinda went all over the place with it. Its starts with African congos and a *** load of bass booster with heavy riffs. Then come in these string accompanyments and accents. The chorus completely changes gears, atleast its for the good.It is alot catchier and seems to get back on the rails, until it drops back into the same pit.

Lost
10/10

Genius. Fast. Melodic. This tune never stops going. It opens with this dual guitar duet. Its a shame they can never play this live because it has like 5 guitar layers at one part of the song lol. The song is about war and how the human condition is always to be greedy and to take all. The chorus in this song is amazing to say the least. The lyrics are so true, and very moving. Screw it, i dont care what others say, I LOVE THE AUTOTUNE IN THE CHORUS! Its not like they used it because they dont have vocal talent, they used it for effect, which i found to be cool. At the end of the second chorus, the guitars take you on a rollercoaster with these super melodic, catchy licks.The solo at the end is amazing aswell. Something i always liked about Mr.Gates was his individuality and unique guitar playing. Also, he is one of the few guitarists that is good at putting emotions into his playing.. and in this one you feel it.

A Little Piece Of Heaven
8/10

Im not going to say much about this one because it will definetly be a hit or miss depending on you own personal taste. I like it, but thats not to say it doesnt fit in on the album really at all. Its kind of like Mr.Bungle at the circus lol. Violins, trumpets, tubas and trombones for sure, not sure what else is jammed in there. It tells a sort of sickenning love story about a guy who wants to marry the girl, she rejects, he kills her, her body is re animated by her spirit, she kills him, they fall in love and kill everyone at there wedding. Wierd? maybe so. but its a pretty sick song :D

Dear God
8/10

I HATE COUNTRY. But this rock ballad with a country twist is pretty good. I would have gave it a higher rating if it wasnt for the awfull girl singer they decided to put in it. lots of acoustics and catchy melodies.