Aethenor
En Form for Bla

by Angel STAFF
January 25th, 2011 | 16 replies

Review Summary: And from the formless void something beautiful emerged.

The ever forward-thinking duo of Sunn O)))’s Stephen O’Malley and Daniel O’Sullivan (Guapo, Mothlite) take their experimental group Aethenor to new heights with their latest release, En Form for Bla. Also joining them is percussionist Steve Noble. And to round out the ensemble is the very special appearance of one Kristoffer Rygg, perhaps better known as Garm from Ulver. The collective talent of the minds at work here is prodigious to say the least, and En Form for Bla stands as monolithic proof.

Aethenor have dialed back the heavier drone aspects of previous works to incorporate a more free-jazz aesthetic. The murky guitar work that churned so broadly before has been replaced by minimalistic shimmering guitar passages that leave room for the electronic sounds and deep bass to breathe comfortably. The tendencies of drone, free-jazz, electronica, and dark ambient are all present, working together homogenously for an end product that is abstract yet deliberate.

The quartet manages to evoke an undeniable otherworldly atmosphere that can shift from haunting to soothing at the drop of a hat. The subtle melodies creep through the speakers all the while accompanied by the assertive pulse of electronic bass or tom strikes. Noble’s ubiquity on the drums goes almost unnoticed due to the appropriate restraint and timing utilized. From the clattering of the crash to glistening cymbal tapping, the percussion meets the assemblage of keyboards and electronics with ethereal presence.

The gentle chaos of En Form for Bla is compelling and surprisingly evocative for a record of its nature. Whether the music broods sinisterly or caresses with inter-stellar entrancement, something is felt. The expertly woven textures seem the result of years of making radically innovative music through the various projects of those involved. This delving into new territory illustrates a solid grasp on the direction of the group in the future and offers promise of an even more beautifully hewn product in the years to come.

Chelsea Wolfe Pain Is BeautyPrurient Through the Window
Muknal / The Haunting Presence SplitStorm Corrosion Storm Corrosion
Rudimentary Peni CacophonyNoothgrush Erode the Person
Tim Verhoeff (4)
Not the easiest record but a beauty it is....

January 25th 2011

Very cool record. Though, I didn't realize someone beat me to reviewing it.

January 25th 2011

Interesting. Good short and sweet one, dude.

January 25th 2011

Thanks man. Probably wouldn't have written this though if I had seen someone already reviewed it, but
it's all good.

January 25th 2011

That's all right, it just confirms album is worth a listen.

January 25th 2011

Yeah, anyone who's into this sort of thing needs to do themself a favor and get this right away. On a related note, I am super excited about the new Ulver album dropping this year.

relativeworld
January 25th 2011

your review is more elaborative.
the summary is kind of poetic and tells a lot in the briefest way,possible!
i had some strangely great moments listening to Betimes Black Cloudmasses and based on your review, am motivated to listen to this, too and pos too.

January 25th 2011

I didn't listen to Bergtatt for ages and it's the only album I own. Should I fix it?

double post
double post
Man, you've missed our last ProgJect wich covers Renaissance, you might like it!

January 25th 2011

Well, I do love what I've heard from Renaissance, so I'm sure I will. And if you mean Bergtatt is the only album you have from Ulver, then yes, I would rectify that as soon as possible. Shadows of the Sun is brilliant, and I think you'll like it a lot.

Cheers man

thebhoy
January 25th 2011

this is a terrible album idk.

Review is good though, except I feel the need to reiterate this does not have elements of free-jazz, it has elements of free-improvisation and there is a big difference.

January 25th 2011

Free-improv originated from free-jazz, so it's not always easy to distinguish between the two. Either way, thanks for the compliment.

Voivod
January 26th 2011

i started listening to this, it's so strange...

I am super excited about the new Ulver album dropping this year.

that's great news man!!

Digging: Deadwood - Picturing a Sense of Loss

76TVs
January 26th 2011

another review just means more notice for a great album

Eakflanderyof
January 27th 2011

Yet another radass project from the world-renowned Kristoffer Rygg, musical prodigy.

January 28th 2011

Did not see this. Definitely gonna hear before I head out to work.

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss