Ellen Allien
Berlinette

by Alex Robertson STAFF
January 23rd, 2011 | 26 replies | 5,799 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

“Allien”, there’s a fitting last name. Say it aloud: “ah-li-en”. It’s the familiar word “alien” said with a throaty German accent. Ellen Allien, on Berlinette, displays her own alien brand of techno music, and it comes packaged with her own approximation of vocal Bjork-isms; a deep, straight-faced, robotic yawn-sing--and yes, with a German accent--that is often cut up into its own percussive breaks. Though she makes vastly different music from the two, she’s comparable to Radiohead and Animal Collective in that she essentially takes the “alien” and the foreign and transforms it into something recognizable--sometimes, even danceable.

The most comprehensive example of this lies in the opening and best track, “Alles Sehen”. On this track, Allien utilizes a strange sort of toyish drum loop and slowly expands it into an unexpectedly melodic beat, her breathy vocals in the forefront. The experience is similar to hearing something like Merriweather Post Pavilion’s “In the Flowers” bloom into something exciting and beautiful out of seemingly nothing.

The main problem with Berlinette, then, is that it almost overutilizes the potential thrills of this strange/song dichotomy, where small, unmusical motifs are constantly being expanded into similar slices of minimal techno. Sometimes, a song’s blossoming will be just fine on its own but less impressive in the context of the surrounding tracks; other times, the songs never really feel full and are missing crucial aspects of Allien’s best tracks (the aforementioned “Alles Sehen,” “Sehnsucht,” “Augenblick”): a good melody, an engrossing rhythm, a general sense of motion. A few of the tracks simply go nowhere.

Despite this, Berlinette is, for the most part, a very exciting listen and one that displays a musician with a keen ear for hearing hidden melodies and rhythms in odd places. When done right, this can lead to an exciting sense of exploring the outer limits of music. When done wrong, it just sounds like Allien is skewing actual good dance music (you know, the kind that you can dance to) in favor of “experimental” ethos.

Teebs E S T A R ATabu Ley Rochereau The Voice of Lightness: Congo Classics 1961-1977
Julia Holter Loud City SongNara Leao Dez Anos Depois
Thelonious Monk Thelonious Monk TrioZahava Seewald and Michael Grebil From My Mother's House

LISm

Sool

January 23rd 2011

wrote this in like five min

hoorah

Xenophanes

It shows....

Jk, review is good, pos. This really doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

jeremologyy
January 23rd 2011

i must've missed the greatness in Berlinette. i much prefer her barely-there "Sool". i think that record is flawless.

January 23rd 2011

about time this got a reviw, i was going to do it if no one else did,
but yours is better than the one i had in mind, pos'd

i always thought her name was actually pronouced like "alien"

Digging: Gas - Nah und Fern

it probably is

i just used a sort of out-there comparison

January 24th 2011

you know what really irks me are reviews and ratings that don't match

Digging: Literature - Chorus

like as in the content of the review doesnt match the 3.5

or the 3.5 doesnt match the 3

January 24th 2011

Album's pretty good. You heard her work with Apparat on the album Orchestra of Bubbles? It's her best work by far

Digging: Millie and Andrea - Drop The Vowels

Hey you're right. Thats better than her non-collaborated records IMO

are you gonna review OoB Yotimi? I may and may not, my feelings need more time to soak. My fav tracks are Way Out, Jet, Turbo Dreams and Edison. Retina i have mixed feelings about

January 24th 2011

I'm not much of a reviewer so if I did it wouldn't be for a while. So go for it. All great songs you mentioned - I'd add Metric as a favorite

January 24th 2011

alright, cool. but I too will need a bit of time
Metric is a good violin-y song, better than Retina's violin work imo

how about this record, did you listen to it at all? what do you think of it?

your rating is a 3 yet the review is a 3.5

oh

well

January 26th 2011

my head hurts alex thanks a lot

January 26th 2011

seriously though guys check out Orchestra of Bubbles.

March 16th 2013

I'm with the potato on this one. A few tracks are lots of fun, some aren't.

Digging: Ikonika - Position

scissorlocked
March 16th 2013

she has a new album out that's probably great

Digging: Leon Vynehall - Music For The Uninvited

March 16th 2013

Yep, was about to check it out.

March 16th 2013

Orchestra of Bubbles is still her best but this has grown on me

March 16th 2013

Orchestra of Bubbles is indeed great, which one of her (or Apparat) is closest to that one?

This one is fun but a bit unbalanced.