Emery
...In Shallow Seas We Sail

by IamInExile USER (10 Reviews)
January 23rd, 2011 | 61 replies | 6,108 views

Review Summary: There is a part of me that always sees the easy way out...

What is it really that makes a band successful? Is it about the amount of albums you sell, or how many fans you manage to gain along the way? Well, some bands manage to be successful without doing either of those two things. Emery surely aren't one of the most popular bands out there, but they produce some of the best post-hardcore I've heard in my life. Album after album they keep impressing me, with great dueling vocals and screaming. Their lyrics always seem well-written and meaningful. Toby Morell has to be one of the best vocalists of the genre, his distinctive, melodic vocals carries this album from beginning to end.

This is not what I expected from Emery after the disappointing 'I'm Only A Man'. 'In Shallow Seas We Sail' is their most mature and consistent release yet. With absolutely no filler, the songs are instant classics and holds a great deal of lasting value. While there are no weak tracks, there are a few that stands above the rest. 'Curbside Goodbye', 'Churches And Serial Killers' and 'In Shallow Seas We Sail' are according to me the three best songs. As I said, it's really hard to pick from the thirteen tracks, with all of them being top notch.

'Curbside Goodbye' starts with trademark Emery screaming, before Toby Morell shows us how much his vocals have improved. The chorus features the duel singing between him and Devin Shelton. There's a beautiful melodic ending to the song, making it my favorite song on the album. The title track features some of the best vocal work on the album, with producer Aaron Sprinkle singing a couple of lines near the end of the song. 'Butcher's Mouth' is probably the most 'mainstreamish'(Is that even a word?) song on the album, it features a great lead riff and a melodic chorus. There's a rare breakdown on 'A Sin To Hold On To', contributing to the album's sense of variety. The last two songs is actually one song broken up in two parts. Dear Death part 1 and part 2. The first one is a more mellow song, with great lyrics(Even some in Spanish). The second part is a straight forward rock song, with the tempo changing throughout the song. "You brought me death, and it's everything I wanted", Morell sings full of emotion.

This truly is a classic for me personally, it's been a long time since an album had such a impact on me like 'In Shallow Seas We Sail'. This is next to AFI's 'Sing The Sorrow' as one of my favorite albums of the decade. Full of emotion and meaning, Emery release their best yet.

Pros :

Excellent duel vocals.
Variety of songs.
No weak songs.

Cons:

The screaming could be better.

Recommended Tracks :

Curbside Goodbye
Churches And Serial Killers
In Shallow Seas We Sail
A Sin To Hold On To
Dear Death Part 2

Funeral for a Friend Welcome Home ArmageddonThursday No Devolucion
Funeral for a Friend Casually Dressed & Deep in ConversationSenses Fail The Fire
Zebra & Giraffe Collected MemoriesThrice The Artist in the Ambulance

20415 Comments

As much as I agree with your rating because I am totally in love with this album:

Cons:

Honestly, none.

Neh.
edit: I didn't neg.

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

foreverendeared

uh oh

Omaha
January 23rd 2011

Interesting. Honestly, I like the screaming on this album because it's so imperfect- the album feels overproduced to me; it doesn't have the rawness that I would like for it to have.
I find this album quite overrated, but I mean, it's a good album. And I do like your review, so I'll Pos. it; however, it would be better if you try to find more things that they could have improved on. That's the main thing that I want to know about albums when reading a review, so I can see easily if others feel the same way as me.

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty

Blackbelt54
January 23rd 2011

good review. album is decent

CelestialDust

what's an emery?

WhiteTieBlackJacket
January 23rd 2011

Some of the grammar in this review is off. That being said, In Shallow Seas We Sail is one of my favorite albums. Its just so good. Every song.

Also, for fans of this record, you might want to pick up the EP that Emery released not long before. "Where Broken Hearts Prevail" has two tracks that made it on to Shallow Seas, but the others are fresh.

Knott-

so not a 5

what's an emery?

For all I know it's some kind of mineral.

botb

this is so good but not 5 worthy

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here

MrSputnik
January 23rd 2011

"to be successful without doing neither of those two things."

lol

double negations, cool stuff

Eko
January 23rd 2011

dont use "I" that much it doesnt sound professional. Aaron Sprinkle does guest vocals on curbside goodbye? need to
listen for that, ive never noticed it and his voice is awesome

EDIT: Sprinkle is in the title track, listened to this for the first time in a while.

WeepingBanana

lol shut the fuck up

Got a problem?

porch
January 23rd 2011

yeah i have a problem with how retarded that comment was

i'd love to know what somebody not liking this album has to do with seaanemone, please enlighten me

20415 Comments

All right I removed it, I don't want any trouble.