Cold War Kids
Mine is Yours

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
January 19th, 2011 | 28 replies

Review Summary: Can we skip the charades, just be plain?

No surprises, here, and no stripper is popping out of this cake, because Mine Is Yours is a welcome refinement of every struggle the Cold War Kids have encountered in their short career. Retaining the trademark majestic and bluesy, indie-rock aesthetic, the Californians are still howling along to bouncy chords, but doing so in a more calculated, polished fashion. While they’ve enjoyed success, their path hasn’t been without a few hiccups. Loyalty to Loyalty was as redundant as its namesake. Robbers and Cowards was critically acclaimed, but also as powerful as it was messy and unruly. Mine Is Yours matches up against Cold War Kids’s others as the seminal album where the band reigns in everything that makes their catchy, rhythmic, romping so appealing, but in a much more deliverable package.

Their name something of a misnomer, Cold War Kids have never been one for pretension, opting for foot-tapping memorable one-liners over more intricacies (that would only serve to hinder their delivery, anyway) or songs about the anguish of being a child during a world crisis. Mine Is Yours perfectly highlights this strength, the lightheartedness. The poppier venture at hand begins with a tame title track, complete with uplifting hand-clap-infused effort and, despite the fast-talking bridge that brings new meaning to the adjective “cheesy,” succeeds in setting up Mine Is Yours for success. Cold War Kids sacrifice grittiness for likability, as can be heard in the sparkling production. Still, the deep guitar tones and pounding cymbals to complement Nathan Willett’s crystal-clear tone make sure that soulful aura is retained, and in effect Mine Is Yours clenches everything that made Robbers and Cowards so affecting in the first place-- the passion, the energy, the undeniable catchiness.

Saving their sound from being lost in the poppy production and soaring choruses is one thing, but Cold War Kids had to add something to separate Mine Is Yours as their defining record to date. Look no further than the newfound consistency. Albeit the tepid start, the ensuing album is entirely rhythmic jelly, sliding to and fro heralded in only by the concrete percussion in the background. Nary a dud can be found on Mie Is Yours, much to the chagrin of their back catalog in their 2011 album’s rearview mirror. The album flows rather nicely, to say the least, especially compared to Loyalty to Loyalty’s glaring inconsistencies. Nathan Willett’s deep drawl carries the album (as always), and he isn’t afraid to stretch his chords a little further than their abilities allot. Check “Bulldozer” to hear Willett hit notes he hasn’t attempted since he yelled along to “Hang me out to dryyyyyy” so exuberantly two LP’s ago.

There’s still an obvious standout in “Louder Than Ever,” the most single-worthy hit since “Hang Me Out To Dry,” but Cold War Kids have surely crafted an album surrounding it worth listening to. The slow-paced yet hard-hitting “Sensitive” and memorable “Skip the Charades” display a bit of diversity, just enough to make the entirety a listening experience rather than the usual Cold War Kids listening-pattern: skip-skip-play-skip-skip-play. The band must have realized they had little fodder for a palpably innovative approach to their sound, but you won’t hear me complaining. Mine Is Yours is a welcome refinement of all the potential so evident on past releases, and embodiment of a band I feel uncomfortable still labeling as “Kids” with such a mature, self-aware release.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP
3.3
ModernGuilt (3)
Don't forget to write The Edge a thank you note!...

koryrobinson (3.5)
Cold War Kids' most personal album yet...

Rudy K. STAFF (3.5)
Kids grow up....

20376 Comments

Stream can be found aqui: http://prettymuchamazing.com/reviews/albumreviews/mineisyours

whatsup with you guys I'm just being a contributor and such trying to contribute you know

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II

Calculate
January 19th 2011

Glad to see this one was well received, haven't listened fully yet but it's at the top of my list!

January 19th 2011

gonna listen to the stream, good review as always

Digging: Alt-J - This Is All Yours

Inveigh
January 19th 2011

word, review has me actually excited for this album. i didn't really care for L2L very much. nice work Sea.

SHAKEandBAKE
January 19th 2011

Awesome review man, really digging this album. "Out of the Wilderness" and "Skip the Charades" are both great.

thanks guys!

mallen-
January 19th 2011

Great review Eric. Haven't listened to these guys before but I'm definitely getting this.

cvlts
January 19th 2011

good place to start as any

drinkinirishtonight

album is soo good

iFghtffyrdmns
January 20th 2011

I think this is a good review, I just disagree with the rating. I really dug the Robbers & Cowards sound...this feels like so much of a deviation from that. Not a bad album, just not the record that I wanted to hear from CWK. It's at least my opinion that if you fell for these guys over Robbers & Cowards, you'll feel a little disappointed with Mine is Yours.

20376 Comments

... well yeah if you go in with rigid expectations into any album chances are you'll be disappointed, just saying : /

klap
January 20th 2011

my review will be out this weekend sorrrryyyy

Digging: Cymbals Eat Guitars - LOSE

AlexTM510
January 20th 2011

Sweet review, pretty much agree with you

i was pretty nervous about listening to this but was pleasantly surprised with how great this was.

ihopeuchoke
January 20th 2011

This album was surprisingly great. Cold War Kids never seem to disappoint.

Ponton
January 20th 2011

good stuff eric, didnt expect a 4 out of this. I'll see what rudy thinks of this and then give it a try. pos etc

omnipanzer
January 20th 2011

Great review Sea. Looking forward to this now. ;^)

Digging: Jenny Lewis - The Voyager

Tyrael

20885 Comments

Been waiting for this so long...

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

AggravatedYeti
January 20th 2011

their last album was so bad.
I hope this isn't.
band had so much promise.

Fugue
January 20th 2011

Was wondering about this record earlier, I shall wonder no more; great write up Eric.

SwayzeFaced
January 20th 2011

in my opinion weakest full length so far. lyric and musically wise.

it's shiny! would be an understatement, kinda sick of these bands putting out safe, shiny albums. minus the bear omni, p. man satanist to american ghetto.

ya mine is yours starts off with all the promise of any cold wars kids lp until you reach the fourth song on the album and it sinks into obscurity. the swing is gone and catchy yes but also very deep lyrics seem shallow and generally lacking.

i love the fact they got a little hip hop in this time around though, keep experimenting if anything.

just please don't make this album your blue print for any future cold war kids stuff. =3