The Prodigy
Their Law:The Single 1990-2005

good

by Senor_Whippy USER (22 Reviews)
October 30th, 2005 | 17 replies | 7,430 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Dance music can be a hit and miss affair.Some artists (if you want to call them that) release bucket loads of crappy 80's cover and stick semi-naked models in the video to get the attention of 12 year old boys.Then there's the acts who bleed with passion and energy and push the boundaries of the genre.The Prodigy are the latter.Formed in Braintree,England in early 1990,The Prodigy are recongnize as Britain's finest Dance band.Even though their sound often skip from genre to genre,mixing Rock,Punk and Rap elements to their Techno sound.

The Prodigy are:
Keith Flint - Dancer, Vocalist
Keith Palmer - MC
Liam Howlett - Music Composer
Leeroy Thornhill - Dancer

Label:
XL Recordings UK

Their Law:The Singles 1990-2005 is unshameful The Prodigy's greatest hits.It charts the band's progess from underground favourites to saviors of Dance music.Everything worth mentioning about The Prodigy can be found on this 15 track compilation.From the fiery battle cry of Firestarter,the trashy Spitfire to the recent reworking of Voodoo People.There's something here for everyone to enjoy.

Opening track Firestarter was the song that pushed The Prodigy out of the clubs and into the arenas.The track still sounds as fresh and rebellious as it did 8 years ago.Filnt's vocals could make John Lydon weep with envy.''I'm a firestarter,a twisted firestarter'',screams Filnt over some stadium-sized beats.Pure jaw dropping genius.

Just as hard-hitting and angry as Firestarter is the excellent Breathe.Using the same formula of big beats and Punky vocals.It's not a big departure from Firestarter and it can leave disappointed after a few listens.Thankfully,things take a change of pace with fourth track 'Out Of Space' even through it sounds like a cheesy novelty record with it's high-pitched vocals and rapid keyboards,it stills get you out of your sit and dancing.

After this comes the album's (if not The Prodigy's) finest track.Smack my bitch up is the most heavy,dirty,shambolic and unstoppable Dance record ever recorded.It is largly instrumental apart from some Indian-style melodys in the middle and slowed down vocals which repeats the line ''Smack my bitch up'' throughout the song.

This is followed by cult favourite Poison.One of the band's earliest hits and a live favourite among fans.It's nothing special,it's alien-like keyboard effects have been used a million times before.But it's worth a listen if your into old school dance music.

Another of the band's early hits is the fantasic Voodoo People.Starting off with some distored guitar chords,the song soon swells into a incredible speedy techno monster.Synths echo over pounding drums before been mixed in with random vocals and mutterings.

The only thing that lets the album is the poor new material.Hotride and Spitfire both from last year's poor Always Outnumbered,Never Outgunned are ruined by dreadful vocal performances from Juliette Lewis.The other new material included on here is the punky Their Law,which is basically everything the band recorded between 1994-1997 compacked into 4 minutes.Girls from last year's.Always Outnumbered,Never Outgunned puts the pace back up.Featuring vocals from The Ping Pong Bitches,who added a slutty feel to whole track.The music itself is nothing special.It's still the tired and tested mix of big beats and wacky synths.

Overall
Their Law:The Singles 1990-2005 is basically your average Greastst Hits complition.Some classics oldies and some piss poor new material.Fan boys will love it but newcomers may wanna settle for 1997's The Fat Of The Land.

Pros:
+Old songs still sound fresh today
+Great mixture of genres
+Brilliant vocals from Flint

Cons
-Music can get repeative
-Early material is pretty dull
-Terrible new material

Download:
Firestarter
Smack my bitch up
Breathe
Voodoo People

Ps.This will be my last review for a few months as I need to study for upcoming exams at school and finish coursework as well as getting my band back on track.

Thanks for reading!

The Rapture EchoesArctic Monkeys Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys?
Yeah Yeah Yeahs Show Your BonesThe Strokes Is This It
Kings of Leon Youth and Young ManhoodThe Strokes Room on Fire

Zebra
October 30th 2005

"Smack my Bitch Up" is the only song I've heard by Prodigy, and it's awesome.

Decent review, but a little more detail would help.

time33consume33me
October 30th 2005

good review, i have a soft spot for this band, not a big fan of dance music in general but the prodigy somehow manage to pull in all sorts of listeners, great live band aswell. keep it up

Senor_Whippy
October 30th 2005

Wow this thread's pretty quite.Anyway keep posting and I'll reply but I don't plan of reviewing again until early-spring (March) next year.So bye bye for now.This Message Edited On 10.30.05

Xander_Christ
October 30th 2005

Where's "Baby's got a temper"?

Iai
October 30th 2005

Their Law is a duet with Pop Will Eat Itself, and was included on Music For The Jilted Generation.

Iai
October 30th 2005

Actually, Girls was on Always Outnumbered. There is no new material on this album at all, save the remix of Out Of Space.

NuMetalMania
December 21st 2005

I agree, review needs work. These guys are ok to listen to, sometimes, i regret my mate burning this album, waste of a good blank disc

Zer0Mystery
February 1st 2006

See, I like the Voodoo People Pendulum Remix, the Out Of Space Remix, and Breathe, but they really should've added Baby's Got a Temper.. Oh well, it's still a good cd to listen to.

batush
February 19th 2006

i have the two-disc edition of the album and being the electronic music fan i am, it is a pretty good compilation of the Prodigy over 15 years. The second disc of the album is filled with remixes, live versions and some of their unreleased songs. And as for Baby's Got a Temper... that song has no place in this album between Firestarter, Breathe, Smack, Charly and the others..

Lemon8
February 19th 2006

Just to clarify, dance and electronica are NOT interchangeable terms.

Dance music is intended for the purpose of dancing, or getting people to dance.

Electronica is music that has it's focus on people actually listening and appreciating the musical content.

The tracks from "Music for a Jilted Generation" are Prodigy at their best, in my opinion. Voodoo People in particular. The tracks from "Fat of the Land" are pretty good as well, though definitely more vocal heavy than others. As for the "Experience" tracks... not bad by any means but less memorable. The "Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned" tracks are pure crap.

Bottom Line: They should have stopped at FOTL.

jdrichie3112
March 15th 2006

I borrowed this album from a friend a while back and i was amazed. I had only heard 1 or 2 prodigy tracks before and hadn't really taken much notice, not normally being a fan of their genre. This is one of the few dancey-ish bands i really like, and they are amazing at what they do.

A small piece of useless trivia, the 'distorted guitar chords' on the Voodoo People intro are a sample from Very Ape by Nirvana, See? Told you it was useless :-].

Anyway, nice review, great album.This Message Edited On 03.15.06

Zer0Mystery
March 24th 2006

Batush, Molotov Bitch is better than Charly...At least.. It sounds it, Baby's Got A Temper should have a place on the cd, many people liked the song.This Message Edited On 03.24.06

"Freshly Baked"
April 11th 2006

I agree that they shifted from Electronica to Dance after TFOTL (even though Dirtchamber sessions is good and underrated)

I don't care tohugh, I absolutely love "Girls"

I was worried they'd flood this with stuff from FOTL and Always Outnumbered..., but they actually did the 1st 2 albums justice.

Spange
April 28th 2006

great albuim

Polyamarous
July 21st 2006

Great collection, and contrary to the reviewers opinion, I feel tracks like Spitfire and Hot Ride are the strong points.
Definitely worth checking other albums out as well.

bloodycrepe
January 4th 2007

great review.

Killer album. Prodigy remain one of my favourite bands today, although i mainly listen to metal they're undeniably genius.

Nadinus
March 21st 2008

I love the prodigy and this is just all their best stuff, so this is gonna score pretty highly with me. The bonus disc is a bit of a waste though, just a few more songs, remixes and live material.