Weird Al Yankovic
Bad Hair Day

by Zaine USER (13 Reviews)
October 29th, 2005 | 31 replies | 9,150 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

::Weird Al Yankovic::Bad Hair Day::

Weird Al just cant stop making fun of great artists. Thank god. The title “Bad Hair Day" comes directly from Coolio’s crazy dread locks, which Al soon gets to mock soon enough for a second time. Although following albums such as “Dare to be Stupid" and “Even Worse", his ninth album, Bad Hair Day is a classic all on its own. Well, lets get to the TxT.

Amish Paradise (3:20): Mocking Coolio’s “Gangsta Paradise", Al takes the subject matter from living as a gangster, to living as an Amish man. This is arguably Al’s most popular song. Honestly this is a parody song at its best. The raps are smooth, the music is still in Coolio style, and fantastic rhyme and rhythm timing. I always appreciated Weird Al for his ability to rearrange the lyrics of one song to make a completely different masterpiece of the same d*mn song. If you haven’t heard this song or seen the video, get out from under your rock and download it or something!

Everything You Know is Wrong (3:47): When you hear the first verse of this song, you will undoubtedly think ‘WTF?!?!’ but don’t worry, theres still a good song behind the wtf-ness. Although the true meaning behind the song is nonexistent, it is pretty much a compilation of everything Weird Al finds bizarre and unusual. Such events include the verse of "driving on the freeway in the fast lane with a rabid wolverine in my underwear when suddenly a guy behind me in the back seat popped right up and cupped his hands across my eyes." Yep, just not normal.

Cavity Search (4:19): A nicely organized parody of "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" by U2. It is pretty much the story about a guy who has uncontrollable urges to visit his dentist. His muttering of “Numb Me, Drill Me, Floss Me, Bill Me" seems almost like he’s having A LOT of fun at the dentist. Not sung in a sarcasticaly screechy voice like Weird Al does a lot, but more of an actual high production song, which only adds to the dry hilarity of the song. Near 2:33 theres a drilling sound and Al Moaning. I’ll end with that note.

Callin’ In Sick (3:40): A solid Weird Al song about faking an illness so he doesn’t have to go to work. And then following up his day of fun and relaxation by doing absolutely useless thing like, and I quote “I could sit and count my hair, I could burp my Tupperware." Just a fun song that we all can relate to, although I’m not too sure how many of us burps our own Tupperware.

The Alternative Polka (4:50): Just a horde of popular alternative songs played with polka music. Such songs include:
"Loser" by Beck,
"Bullet With Butterfly Wings" by Smashing Pumpkins,
“My Friends" by Red Hot Chili Peppers,
"I'll Stick Around" by Foo Fighters,
"Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden, and
"Basket Case" by Green Day.

“The Alternative Polka" is just a pure fun song. Very fast and very bouncy.

Since You’ve Been Gone (1:22): The shortest song on the album. This is a very, VERY great song about coping with the end of a relationship. Something unexpected, sort of with it being Weird Al and all, is that this is an A Capella. Weird Al takes center stage, but there are some bass vocals in the back with the bouncy “Boom Biddy Ba Ba" type stuff. Great listen.

Gump (2:10): A parody of "Lump" by The Presidents of the United States of America" about well, Forrest Gump. It’s basically mocking how forrest gump looks, acts, and just plain is. Some nice verses complimenting the infamous “Shrimp Boat Bubba", “Jenny", “Momma", and “Lt. Dan". A fun song (I seem to be saying that a lot) and one of the best on the album.

I’m So Sick of You (3:26): Another Yankovic original on the album about a man who is getting sick of his wife about her bad habits. It seems kind of bland for the album. Definitely not a highlight, so I skip this one a lot.

Syndicated Inc. (3:54): A nice parody of “Misery" by “Soul Asylum". It is about a family who loves the television. Like, that’s what they believe in. This features some of the nicest harmonization from Weird Al and there’s a nice harmonica solo. It features some nice classic shows like The Partridge Family, Laverne and Shirley, and All in the Family. Overall, a solid song and a solider parody.

I Remember Larry (3:56): This is another really bouncy song. Its about a guy named Larry who is the neighborhood prankster and about how Weird Al will always remember him for being a “Funny, Funny Guy." The verses include the various thing that ‘Crazy Larry’ has done in the neighborhood, specifically Al. Generally it’s a really great song.

Phony Calls (3:22): Yet another parody, this time of “Waterfalls" by “TLC." This has to be my favorite on the album. Its about making crack phone calls when the parents are out. He makes sure to mention all the famous lines like “Is your refrigerator running?", “Do you have prince Albert in a can?", and features a skip from the Simpson’s where Bart makes a call asking for a “Mike Rotch" and gets the guy to scream for a “My Crotch". Great fun and excellent humor, but you can expect nothing less from Weird Al.

The Night Santa Went Crazy (4:01): This is it folks. The moment we’ve all been waiting for. No, not the end of the album; the SONG at the end of the album. This is honestly a classic song for anyone who’s heard it, and that is an unconfirmed fact. It is a jolly Christmas song about Santa Claus going crazy and raising hell among all the reindeer and elves. One of the best lines here includes “Well, he took a big flamethrower, and he barbecued Blitzen, then he took a big bite and said it tastes just like chicken." I mean, c’mon. That is genius writing. The verses are filled with booze breath and reindeer chunks in the snow. This epic ends with the follow-up to the whole thing with the elves working for the U.S. Postal Service and Mrs. Claus working out movie deals. So, in closing the album ends with a bang. No pun intended.

In closing, this album is seriously something of a legend. There is much to be had as there usually always is with Weird Al. So if you like Al and don’t currently own this album, then please give it a listen. If you don’t like Weird Al, sucks to be you.

Weird Al is:
Lisa Popeil - background vocals
Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz - percussion, drums
Ruben Valtierra - keyboards
Jim West - guitar, background vocals

System of a Down ToxicitySystem of a Down Steal This Album!
Dream Theater Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a MemoryIron & Wine In The Reins (feat. Calexico)
The Immortals Mortal Kombat - The AlbumPearl Jam Ten
Ire (5)
Oh man...

Aw3someman
October 30th 2005

Weird Al is background vocals??
btw in Phony Calls it's Bart says that thing to Moe the bartender. Good album. Good review.

Zebra
October 30th 2005

Nice review, this is a solid album "Alternative Polka" is pure genious.

Berserker!
October 30th 2005

As I walk through the valley where I harvest my grain

Glitterati
October 30th 2005

I take a look at my wife and realize she's very plain.

Thor
October 30th 2005

Everything you know is wrong
Black is white
Up is down
And short is long

:lol:

IvortheEngineDriver
October 30th 2005

First album I ever bought with my own money (I was 12...with Oasis' What's the Story, Morning Glory....What? I was 12! that was 10 years ago!)

Anyway, definately a classic! Great review, might have to go find this CD and give it another listen. I seriously listened to this like a billion times when I got it...

Ahhh...good times

DFelon204409
October 30th 2005

This was my first concert in like 4th grade. My grandpa took me to see a free Weird Al concert at the local county fair. Ya. I rule.

Berserker!
October 31st 2005

I take a look at my wife and realize she's very plain.

And that's just perfect for an Amish guy like me

StigmataSD
November 4th 2005

This is just my opinion, but I think Weird Al got the tune for The Night Santa Went Crazy from Mama, I'm Coming Home by Ozzy.

ocelot-05
November 10th 2005

You know I shun fancy things like electricity. Mods, strike me down!

ReturnToRock
November 24th 2005

sure sounds like it Stigmata, i thought the exact same thing. but it's not quite a parody of that song.

Patrick
May 31st 2006

yeah when I heard mama i'm coming home for the first time i went crazy thinking "where the heck have I heard this???" Then I remembered weird al. anyhow this is a great album but after listening to it for a long time I just decide I'd rather listen to serious songs.

metallicaman8
May 31st 2006

Weird Al= Funniest musician ever. Hands down

deflepp0925
July 30th 2006

hahaha weird al is friggin awesome
nice review too, but next time, i suggest to add a bit more meat to your tbt, but then again, its not like we can talk about guitar solos in this either lol

Psyclone
September 24th 2006

You know I shun fancy things like electricity.

At 4:30 in the morning I'm milkin' cows.

Mods, strike me down!

That wasn't part of the song.:mad:

Great review.

IlledAutumn
May 9th 2007

no no no no no
"The Night Santa Went Crazy" was a lampoon on the style of Soul Asylum's Black Gold.
Back then they were so incredibly huge, and people got it. But sadly they just faded out and now no one gets it. But I swear, it's close to Black Gold.

Squamish
February 3rd 2009

best weird al album around. dare to be stupid comes close, but this is the one.

AngelPhoenix

^^^123.
The Night Santa Went Crazy kills me every time.

ninjuice
February 3rd 2009

Running With Scissors is his best if you ask me. Perhaps just for the existence of Albuqurque. (sp?)

Asiatic667