Enemies
We've Been Talking

by Eli Kleman EMERITUS
January 11th, 2011 | 22 replies | 9,198 views

Enemies exist in that burgeoning sphere of bands, who somewhat sardonically scoff at the modern day post-rock scene, instead opting for a much more unfettered method of creating instrumental music. Sounding a tick like their Irish brethren, And So I Watch You From Afar, Enemies play a deceptively simplistic form of guitar-based rock, trading cascading melodies and sweeping orchestration for a down to earth, honest to goodness basic rock band sound. Perhaps this all sounds a tad paltry, as the band consists of merely four members. However, Enemies aren’t to be taken lightly, for their debut We’ve Been Talking is sure to turn heads.

We’ve Been Talking is so perfectly crafted, so wonderfully well done, that even the most capricious listens will be incredibly satisfying. That being said, if one were to delve deeper, the album would reveal itself to be something more than a novelty, something more than a pleasurable fancy. We’ve Been Talking is fantastic in that sense, for no matter how interested one is with the album, it will be a great listen nonetheless. On the surface, the album is incredibly catchy, with the math-y melodies and hammering bass and drums causing even the most disinterested listener to tap his/her feet with fervor. Looking past face value, however, the album becomes a much more musically relevant affair, with the constantly shifting time signatures and tempo changes proving to be endlessly fascinating. On paper it sounds contrived, that much is certain, but Enemies play it off with such a lax fashion, that it’s impossible not to imagine these sitting around in a garage, simply jamming whatever whimsicality comes to mind. This my friends, is what makes We’ve Been Waiting such an evocative debut, as the unbridled creativity and boundless ideas contained within make this more than a simple “guitar rock” affair.

However, “guitar rock” is such a fitting tag, because everything about this album revolves around the inter-playing guitars. The bass and drums are there for obvious necessity (and they do a rather fantastic job), but let it be known, the spotlight is sedately fixated on the two guitarists. This becomes immediately apparent with the opener, ‘Backaches & Cardigans.’ The track starts with the loopy and intermingling guitarists trading notes, and quickly it divulges into more bombastic territory, with cymbal crashes and hammering rhythmic passages taking center stage. And this is where Enemies kind of falter a bit. This very track, as wonderful as it is, sort of sets the tone for the rest of the record. They don’t really tread too far away from this pre-established format, instead sticking with it a little too comfortably. However, with nine average length tracks, We’ve Been Talking doesn’t wear out its welcome, but rather, has an absolutely wonderful, appropriate runtime.

Enemies's debut is fantastic--plain and simple. It’s grandiose, yet fantastically laid back, allowing itself to be enjoyed in a number of ways. While a little less restraint (in respect to songwriting) would have been nice, it doesn’t keep We’ve Been Talking from showing the promise of these young men. So listen up, because this is certain to get you talking.

Saintseneca Dark ArcHave A Nice Life The Unnatural World
Thee Silver Mount Zion Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on EverythingFell Voices Regnum Saturni
Hammock Oblivion HymnsMount Eerie Pre-Human Ideas

Embark Embrace
trending alt & indie albums

Here and Nowhere Else

AM

Cope

St. Vincent

January 11th 2011

In an attempt to trudge through my massive backload (we all have 'em), I stumbled upon this little gem, and have been listening to it since Christmas. Awesome, awesome stuff. Check it out.

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

SCREAMorphine

Great review pos
You make writting reviews look easy
pos pos pos

SeaAnemone
January 11th 2011

I second this word-for-word.

Your review is good... but I've noticed, I think, there's a few things you could do to spruce 'em up in general. I have a bad habit of adding things like "This my friends," and "that much is certain," into my reviews originally, too, even though they're unnecessary and don't add much to the review. They take away from it in my opinion if they're too common, so try to stay on top of that. Also, it's generally a good idea to stay away from beginning sentences with "And," and in the last paragraph "Enemies" should be possessive.

Besides that you do a good job at describing this though, hope some people check it out.

pizzamachine

Excellent review X-Man.

Thanks guys!

Thank you for the advice, Sea, I guess I should refrain from using default phrases such as that. Appreciate it!

Irving
January 12th 2011

You helped me procrastinate from working on my thesis. Pos.

Digging: Pixies - Indie Cindy

wyankeif1337

excellent review, pos

January 12th 2011

I want you all to get this if you haven't

Tyrael

20441 Comments

Again an excellent piece Xeno, keep up the good work!

January 12th 2011

Excellent review, Elijah. It's been a pleasure watching you hone your skills as a writer.

Enotron
January 12th 2011

In the first paragraph you seem to make a case for what I think is a rather false dichotomy between post-rock and math-rock.

I also have some qualms with the second paragraph. You start off saying on the surface it's just a well-executed, catchy album, but that there's more to it when listened to more thoroughly. Fair enough point, but then the depth described by you just seems to further talk about the band's technical skill. I also don't know how "constantly shifting time signatures and tempo changes proving to be endlessly fascinating" is contrived in theory.

I dunno, the prose is fine as always, I just don't find this review to say much tbh.

January 12th 2011

Yeah I worried that this wasn't as concise as it could've been, considering it is so much shorter than the rest of my reviews. Thank you for the feedback.

FelixCulpa
January 12th 2011

Yet another release I've checked before but never taken another listen too. Thanks for brining it to my attention again Xeno, it's good.

January 12th 2011

Glad to hear you've looked into it

Deathcar
January 14th 2011

Great review man. So if I like maybeshewill, ASIWYFA and 65dos then I'll love this?

January 14th 2011

Thanks, and yeah, this should be right up your alley, man. Especially if you like ASIWYFA. They aren't super similar, but enough so...

Deathcar
January 18th 2011

This is a great little album, is it just me or does anyone else get an American Footballesque vibe from this? Some of the chord progressions and the general tone of the music strike me as very similar.

December 4th 2011

Forgot how awesome this was.

DannyChrisnanto
December 17th 2011

Hey xeno these guys sound awesome, other than ASIWYFA, do you know of any other similar groups?

AutoRock
January 12th 2012

These Guys rock. Nag Champa is the best song on this by far. But the other stuff is great as well.