Madison
The Noise Some People Make

by Irving Tan STAFF
January 10th, 2011 | 53 replies

Review Summary: The noise med students make.

As Madison's career slowly gathers steam over the coming months, much will undoubtedly be made out of the fact that this young lady actually began her adult life as a promising student of medicine (for better or for worse). It would probably be wise to expect as much, for here we have a tale whose trappings are simply too ethereal to ignore; in fact, the whole thing drips of so much magic it might actually have been pulled out of a fairy's ass. That, or it was devilishly crafted within the annals of a scheming record company based out of New York. This is the sort of dreamy fluff that entire movies - nay, trilogies - are made out of, and Michael Bay would probably step over his own mother to get the rights to this franchise.

Explosive film-making aside, it is clear that Madison has some serious work to do - particularly if she intends to stay in the business for long. A few quick spins of her debut EP (the first of a planned four) quickly presents a young starlet who is bereft of both a theatrical panache and an aura of unassailable confidence; worse yet, she doesn't even have two truly cannibalistic beats to rub together. That being said, no one in existence will actually fault her for being a complete newbie; in fact, Madison's inexperience may actually be her greatest strength. Take the EP's opening number for instance; #1 is essentially packaged party poison - the kind that you wickedly text to your friends just to show them what they're missing by choosing to stay at home and cram for that dermatology exam instead. The thumping "Lights Low" follows, running a satisfying gamut of synth beats and reverb drenches before ultimately presenting an artist completely at ease with the raw purity that her own vitality brings.

The record selects against shining as it roils along, choosing instead to glitter; EP closer "Hot Hot Love" pulses along like a hot-wired optical fiber, sizzling listeners with some coy party beats that never fail to subtly entice. The record is not all drunken revelry however, as Madison also manages to spare a few moments for self-reflection; on "Superwoman" she ponds her new-found freedom, admitting that all she does is "imagine how I make it happen". It's as close as we get to wistfulness on this record, and the audible drop to innocence is breath-taking as it is savage in its beauty.

Undoubtedly, Madison's journey to the top will be a long and arduous slog, stuffed to the insides with rabid competition and endless rounds on the night-club circuitry. Most wannabe pop artists will probably find themselves thoroughly drained and wasted before long, having been completely shellacked by the rigours of being in the modern entertainment industry; thankfully however, our little Madison is a former med student - it's quite safe to say that she's been through much worse.

U2 Songs of InnocenceThe Pineapple Thief Magnolia
Ty Segall ManipulatorLinkin Park The Hunting Party
Coldplay Ghost StoriesCaleb McAlpine All Things New
3.3

Stream: http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/1

This review may also be found on my personal blog (at the address http://snuffleupagush.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/this-aint-no-church-there-aint-no-steeple/).

As always, comments and constructive criticism will be much appreciated.

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

January 10th 2011

whole thing drips of so much magic that it might actually have been pulled out of a fairy's ass

POS

YEAY!!! XD

January 10th 2011

I can't keep up with you buddy! AND YOU MADE ME SLEEP THROUGH MY FIRST CLASS THIS MORNING!

Jk lol

January 10th 2011

I told you to go sleep yesterday!!! It wasn't my fault!!

This is a temporary surge; I really should start working hardcore in school starting this week, and let's be honest: my reviews have been a.) short and b.) on tiny albums.

*sheepish grin* =)

January 10th 2011

Someone give me something brand new to review so I can finally aim to have a feature, lol. Great review Irving... You're a god damn machine and I am incredibly jealous.

January 11th 2011

Hahaha, thanks Gyro. Like I said, it's just a brief surge - I fully expect to return to a slower rate once school gets going again.

That being said, you should review one of your promised three pieces soon =)

Bump

Official Petition to Make Irving Get AIM :

Aids
January 11th 2011

shit Irving, your reviews are just so quality

keep em coming

Digging: Taylor Swift - 1989

JustJoe
January 11th 2011

I blinked, and missed about 16 of your reviews. What a shame, because, I'm sure they were all well written, as per usual.

Purposely ignoring the "recommended by reviewer" section...

20945 Comments

Goddamned Irving this way I will never be able to get to 100 before you! And the quality of your
reviews keeps baffling me... I have no other choice than to pos. Again. You should get featured.

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

January 11th 2011

Hahaha, thanks guys - much appreciated as always =)

In case you guys missed it, the album's stream can be found here: http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/1

The whole thing's pretty short - 13 or so minutes. And it is filled with delicious electroshock pop; not the most original, mind, but still good. Enjoy!

20945 Comments

Almost done on my newest review, it will blow your mind Irving! *Not*
It's gonna get me a lot of negs I think.

January 11th 2011

@ Xeno: Not doing it unless you get four more petition signings.

Ngeh ngeh ngeh XD

January 11th 2011

It's gonna get me a lot of negs I think.

Let's not jump to conclusions! Let's hear it first! =)

January 11th 2011

This was probably a bad day to post a new review lol...so many others just popping up like hot cakes!

20945 Comments

So true, well it's not like I get a lot of comments normally, but it's kinda annoying yeah.

January 11th 2011

It's great that the site's just FLOURISHING with eager writing talent, but my review's going to be off the front page very soon...and I had hoped to be able to share Madison with more Sputnikers =(

pizzamachine
January 11th 2011

Lotsa big words in this review haha. Pos!