Audioslave
Audioslave

by RSHD USER (1 Reviews)
January 10th, 2011 | 21 replies | 3,283 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A solid album that immediately sets apart Audioslave as a band in it's own right. Everything from the great riffs and guitar work from Tom Morello, to the solid production will appeal to many a rock fan. However, there is nothing especially ground-breakin

Understandably, the first reactions when it was announced that the three instrumentalists of Rage Against the Machine would be joined by former Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell to form Audioslave, where skeptical. Rage Against the Machine, with Zack de la Rocha's anti-government lyrics and image, were one of the most revolutionary and headline-grabbing bands of the 1990's - so how could a straight rock band, with largely the same line-up, expect to be any where near as successful?

One can only only guess as to how Chris Cornell got talking to Wilk, Morello and Commerford, but it's a chemistry that damn well works.
Cochise
The first song of the album starts with a characteristic grinding from Tom Morello, and this slowly builds up the tension until we hear the first riff of the album - and to me, this does not sound like Rage. It's partly down to the production - much more fine-tuned and lacking the raw sound that Rage brought to the table. The riff in Cochise is very catchy, setting down Audioslave's groovy feel immediately. Cornell's singing here is typical. He has that grainy, raw sound that might not be for everyone, but is definitely something different. The same riff is repeated nearly all the way through, and this song would be rather boring where it not for the small section near the end with some groovy sounds from the guitar - and Chris actually sings something different. 3.5/5
Show Me How To Live
This is probably the most well-known song and the album, and for good reason. Morello comes up with a stonker of a riff here, developing it cleverly as the song progresses, even if he does produce a rather annoying solo. One of my favourite parts of the entire album is Wilk's demi-semiquavers (very fast drum-roll to all you musically uneducated, lesser beings out there) before the final 'breakdown', for want of a better word, near the end. 4.5/5
Gasoline
Another cool riff here, with adequate drum work from Brad Wilk. I love the singing on this song, I think the effect really complements it and makes it more interesting. However, I feel frustrated that Commerford's bass simply follows the guitar the during the riff of this song and a lot of the album - he has the potential to add much more to the band. 3.5/5
What You Are
This is one of the best songs on the album and again has great guitar work - both the chorus riff and the rest. One thing I don't like is the solo - I know it's Morello and everything, but this honestly sounds like a robot with the ***s. I personally find it irritating and unnecessary, but if you're into that sort of the thing then great. Thankfully, this does not ruin the otherwise fantastic song. 4.5/5
Like A Stone
Not for the first time, Brad Wilk's drumming seems a bit unimaginative here. Sure, he has great control, but you finding yourself wishing he would just hit his crash cymbal or something. I especially like the bass line at the beginning of this song, and it complements the guitar well - both during the chorus and the solo. Overall a decent song, but not really fueling the imagination. 4/5
Set It Off
Again we start with Morello refusing to play his guitar like a normal person, and he creates a nice build up to the opening riff, which is again very catchy and groovy. However, as with many songs on this album you get the feeling that there is nothing to it apart from the riff. Yes Morello and Cornell might break it up here and there in there own way, but your left wanting more. 3/5
Shadow On The Sun
The melody at the beginning of this song is awesome - simple, but it has a great sound to it. The bass line is also very nice here, and goes well with the rest of the band. Very good chorus, typical Morello solo, decent song. 4.5/5
I Am Highway
Not much to say here. This is one of those lighters-in-the-air songs that just make you feel good. All four members of the band work very well together and it makes for a fine song. 4/5
Exploder
Once again the bass simply follows the guitar in the main riff here, and plays the same thing for the rest of it; slightly disappointing. Not the most exciting of songs but not too bad either. 3.5/5
Hypnotize
FINALLY, an exciting drum beat! It's been a long time coming, but it goes very well with the bassline here. Quite a strange song, Chris Cornell with some unusual parts and the usual crazy sounds coming from Morello's axe. Not really sure what they were trying to do here, but at least it shakes things up. 3.5/5
Bring 'Em Back Alive
Another cool opening melody here, and I especially like the way Chris brings in the main riff (which is, not surprisingly, great but overplayed). The solo is just what you'd expect from Morello, crazy sounds and not much of a tune. 4/5
Light My Way
Now in my opinion this song is very similar to Set It Off, heavy, groovy riff played throughout the song with some interludes of, not much, to break it up. Meh. 3.5/5
Getaway Car
This is possibly the best song on the album. Like I Am the Highway, it's a slow one, with acoustic guitar from Chris. A nice tune on the guitar at the beginning and at an absolutely brilliant one for the chorus, complementing Chris's vocal melody perfectly. It has a great sound to it, too. I love the solo on this song, it's very jazz-like and is something different to the rest of the album. Fantastic song 5/5
The Last Remaining Light
Interesting bassline at the start here, bringing in Chris's singing nicely. The echo effect on the drums here is also pretty cool. No heavy riff for this song, but it here is a very groovy 'soloette' halfway through, and another one near the end that leads up to the final chorus well. Quite interesting song, not too 'samey' like a lot of the others. 4/5

Overall I think this is a great album. There are plenty of very rockin' riffs and some very cool parts, and I personally cannot see much resemblance to Rage Against the Machine.
PROS:
Awesome riffs
Good chemistry between the band members
Plenty of decent songs to sink yer teeth into

CONS:
No new ground broken
Slightly over-used riffs
Boring drumming

January 10th 2011

Spell check/proof read or GTFO.

Curse.
January 10th 2011

Try to stay away from track-by-tracks, and also proofread.

KeithStone582

I enjoy this band.

January 11th 2011

such a great album. easily their best. most genuine songwriting

January 11th 2011

There's some good tracks on here but it's definitely not the sum of its parts.

Curse.
January 11th 2011

Like A Stone is the most fucking boring song on earth

January 11th 2011

oh it definitely is. definitely. this is the only album that doesn't feel forced at all, the other 2 are really good but not quite the same

January 11th 2011

my comment refers to awesome's comment

EVedder27
January 11th 2011

Used to love this band back in the day, not so much now

January 11th 2011

Hmm. Not sure about that. It's definitely better than their other efforts, but that's not saying much. I quite enjoyed this album when it came out but, for me, the uninspired numbers are far more plentiful than the winners.

KeithStone582
January 11th 2011

Show How to Live is the meat and potatoes of this album.

Prince1993

Bring Em Back Alive is the best track off this album

kangaroopoo

love the intro to Cochise and Hypnotize fav track

renegadestrings
January 11th 2011

the guitar solo for Bring Em Back Alive is one of the worst things i've ever heard. that said, soft spot for this album.

spacing dude. and proofread.

Aids

1. paragraphs
2. don't do track by track reviews

rocker23472654812314

album rocks

January 11th 2011

Well all I can see as spelling mistakes are 'breakin' and one misuse of 'your'
But I will check more thoroughly next time.
I kinda regretted doing the track-by-track about half way through, started repeating myself quite a lot. Cheers for the input anyway.
Anyone else love Getaway Car?

Voivod
January 11th 2011

Your summary reads like a 3.5 rating to me.

Digging: The Golden Grass - The Golden Grass

January 11th 2011

I was thinking that too, I guess picking it apart highlighted all the bad points. As a whole the albums awesome, but yeah I might change it to 3.5

January 11th 2011

Coincidentally, the average of all my track-by-track ratings is exactly 4.0. Crazy.