When Bitter Spring Sleeps/Panopticon
Split

good

by rasputin USER (196 Reviews)
January 10th, 2011 | 20 replies | 5,946 views

Review Summary: it seems that being charitable to cumbersome ‘associate’ bands is becoming something of a trend.

Panopticon again release a split with a band nobody had heard of before and suffer the consequences. Thankfully, When Bitter Spring Sleeps is probably the least worst of the four bands Lundr has shared the studio with, the only other somewhat decent band being Wheels Within Wheels (don't even get me started on Skagos).

Panopticon opens the side and it's like magic. There is a reason why Panopticon is moving so fast through internet black metal trends - it's easy to listen to, but it's so fucking great at the same time. In all honesty, there is no difference in quality, be it compositionally or thematically, between Panopticon's side of this split and the rest of Lundr's material. His intermingling of rootsy folk music with epic and unconventional black metal has become less and less obtrusive as Panopticon’s discography grows, but the only thing changing is the smoothness of his composition and his subtlety.

Following Panopticon’s three tracks of magnificence, WBSS come on to showcase their three tracks, and just like every other split that has come out with half of it belonging to Panopticon, essentially ruin any overwhelming catharsis. The parts of the tracks that are actually music are fairly average at best, with fuzzy guitars that have mistaken depth with repetition and some sincere yet mawkish clean vocals. This would all be fine however, had the band not chosen to include minutes of woodland noises that serve absolutely no other purpose than irritating the listener who is carefully trying to construct a review out of several sentences he absentmindedly wrote down. Fortunately WBSS end the CD with a song that does reach some level of sophistication, but it is too little too late.

Props to Lundr for exposing some bands that otherwise would not have had any real chances of being heard, but at the very least he could have chosen some outstanding bands rather than a few ranging from barely average to downright mediocre. At least Lundr is smart and has made sure to release both the songs on this and the songs on the Skagos split separately. He knows what's going down.

Hoax HoaxHakaristi Hakaristi
Burial Invocation Rituals of the GrotesqueEibon Entering Darkness
Abe Sada / Sub Ordnance Redux / Organ GrinderIron Lung/Mind Eraser/HS/Scapegoat Brutal Supremacy

Irving
January 10th 2011

Solid stuff Rasputin; pos.

Digging: Ty Segall - Manipulator

January 10th 2011

Really glad you reviewed this. I agree with you about Panopticon's side, the first two songs are absolutely amazing, but I think the last one could have been a bit better. WBBS were ok.

January 10th 2011

it was a spur of the moment thing really - i wrote down about 5 sentences for a quick RYM review then it got to two paragraphs and i decided to just post it here but i then realised i needed to beef it up just a little.

panopticon's music as a whole transcends ratings, it's just always good. i think he needs to be a bit more selective of the bands he does splits with. wbss were okay but then those forest samples were annoying as all hell, but then i couldnt give them a bad wrap because they did such a good job at the very end.

alachlahol
January 10th 2011

dude is consistently awesome and puts out material often its hard for him to be more badass than he already is. reminds me of Thou in terms of work ethic

liledman
January 10th 2011

Yeah pretty much agree, and those samples were annoying.

January 10th 2011

"All Things Rise" was very enjoyable, easily the best WBSS I've heard yet. I think it's a cover, if I'm not mistaken.

January 10th 2011

yeah definitely, and don't get me wrong i like Thou, but not everything Thou has released has been good, whereas imo everything Lundr has made has been (including Seidr, but then Plainwords wasn't too special)

SCREAM!
January 10th 2011

Surprised you didn't think to exclude Anagnorisis since I've heard you bash them a few times before.

Anyway good job, the last two sentences were win.

Digging: Old Witch - Come Mourning Come

wyankeif1337

mu thoughts exatcly, pos

stay the fuck away from WBSS' s/t

January 10th 2011

Just from this split and his split with Skagos.

January 10th 2011

yah i pretend anagnorisis doesn't exist

ZippaThaRippa
January 10th 2011

I think I've heard of When Bitter Springs Sleeps actually, aren't they the ones that recorded an album at night in the middle of a nature preserve? You could hear bat noises and shit in the background.

January 10th 2011

a number of bands have done things like that, WBSS most certainly not being the first (if what you say is true)

January 10th 2011

Yeah their S/T was recorded in a nature preserve at night under a full moon with candles or whatever

jingledeath
January 10th 2011

I remember this being a little dull but I should probably listen to it a few more times.

ZippaThaRippa

I wonder if anyone buys into pretentious shit like that

I wonder if anyone buys into pretentious shit like that

doesn't really matter i guess, i'm sure it sounds clearer than some black metal bands who have poorly recorded better music in a studio

kanecooper
January 10th 2011

good to see you're still around berkay
nice review

January 10th 2011

It's pretty tinny but other than that it's not too bad, actually.

Lucid
January 10th 2011

First song is one of the best he has ever done.

Digging: FKA twigs - LP1