Iwrestledabearonce

1.5
very poor

by Eli EMERITUS
January 7th, 2011 | 63 replies

Review Summary: "It's All Happening" + dubstep = "It's All Dubstep." Well aren't they clever?

Personally, I’ve always found something kind of endearing about iwrestledabearonce, sort of in the same sense that you find that sick, mangy cat in the back alley kind of cute. Sure, you feel kind of bad for the poor cat, knowing it isn’t long for this world, but honestly there is something a little gross about it. Regardless, the neediness and loneliness captured in its glassy, solemn eyes are appealing because, well, it just tries so hard to find a welcoming home and meal. Pity the creature, yes, but don’t feed and pay attention to it too much, for it may not go away.

And for as bad as I feel for IWABO for getting a bum rap, I can’t help but feel, like that ailing stray, that the band simply tries too hard. Their LP was kind of clever, and sort of funny, but musically and artistically worthless. However, I defended them; something in that album, It’s All Happening, made me think that maybe there’s something here. However, after listening to the band’s latest effort. It’s All Dubstep, I’ve come to realize that I must stop feeding them “food and encouragement“, and just let them pass away in that back alley.

First and foremost, It’s All Dubstep shouldn’t even exist, not even as a fun concept. This isn’t a case of a neat idea being mishandled, but rather, this is probably just the product of a drug induced evening of bull***ting with terrible ways to seem even more falsely clever. It sort of makes me wonder where the band’s manager was when all of this transpired. I mean, wasn’t there a voice of reason to ask these young “musicians” what the hell they were thinking? Yeah, I get it, It’s All Dubstep isn’t to be taken seriously-they make that painfully obvious- but this isn’t even novel as a joke; it’s just stupid.

As if IWABO could have screwed up anymore, they went and made a dubstep EP without any real ***ing dubstep. While I myself am not well versed in the genre, you don’t have to be Deviant to realize that this isn’t really dubstep. What the band has done is taken several two year old tracks from It’s Always Happening, remixed them, slowed them down, and added even more unnecessary electronic elements. While this may seem utterly “brilliant” on paper, the whole thing comes out as a mess. The worst part is, IWABO actually used guest artists to help with the project. You really have to question the career aspirations of those who did in fact assist the band. Then again, *** attracts flies…

There’s just so little to say about It’s All Dubstep. Musically (well, I should refrain from associating this with music) it is nauseating, and the concept makes me hang my head in shame. IWABO, I defended you, told people you weren’t that bad, and this is how you repay me? Perhaps I had pegged you wrong, perhaps you really weren’t that clever. I mean, the “female fronted electro-grind” tag should have sent warning signs that things were never really going to work out. I guess that one’s on me.